Starfinder Playlist

How do you deal with map distance in FG?

Hi guys,

So over the last couple of sessions my players and I have debated the pros and cons of different distance measurement methods.

Method 1:
    Player can move 30' per round, which is 6 squares. If we wants to move from square A (some point on the map) to square B (some other point on the map), he draws a line pointer from the center of square A to the center of square B. If the line says less than 6, the move is valid. He provokes AoO in every square the arrow goes through.

Method 2:
    Player needs to count squares moved, just as if he was moving a counter on a real table.

The advantages of method 1 is obviously that it's more "precise". Arguably the impractical "1.5 squares for diagonal moves" was introduced because in a true pen and paper session, no automatic distance measurement tools are available.

What do you guys do?

PS: Also see my thread on Feature suggestion: Distance measurement tool elsewhere on the board.

We use the squares on the map to count movement.

The problem with method 1. is that rarely is a characters movement in a straight line. You would need to be able to add waypoints and have the distance calculated for the whole length.

rv

We count squares.

Also, btw, at least in d20 rules, it's not really "diagonal equals 1.5 squares".

It's "every even diagonal movement counts as a 10' move, but every odd is only a 5' move". (ie: 1st diagonal is 5', 2nd is 10', 3rd is 5' etc)

Yes, I know this averages out to 1.5 squares per diagonal, but especially in cases where you aren't moving in a straight line, or you have odd movement related effects going on, it's easier to use the 5/10 rule.
    -Bumamgar

The updates made to the d20 ruleset in the next patch (1.06) include correct counting of distance, i.e. straight movements count for 5', and diagonal movements alternate between 5 and 10 feet. This is a ruleset specific feature and can be disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged
    The updates made to the d20 ruleset in the next patch (1.06) include correct counting of distance, i.e. straight movements count for 5', and diagonal movements alternate between 5 and 10 feet. This is a ruleset specific feature and can be disabled.
    Awesome

So, Ged, what am I thinking of now?

Thread Information