5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Things I would like to see

Heya,

I fiddled around with FG now and I feel it needs one or two simple things which would enhance the program a lot. So here are my suggestions:

Sounds for rolling dice!
    You have such great 3D dice which look so real. Could be much better if we could here the dice fall. A quite familiar sound on the table.

Mouse Click to send text!
    Once you dragged a text into the chat window you first need to hit ENTER twice. As I have to flip from mouse to keyboard this is a little bit annoying. Would be nice if you could click on the "CHAT" word with a left mouseclick and thus send it to everyone as you have the mouse in your hand already.

Close windows by clicking upper right corner.
    I mean this is the standard in all windows programs. I know you wanted to do something different. But right click then move upward and then release is a bit annoying. Why not be able to close any window by clicking in the upper right hand corner (as well as your method)? Maybe add a little little cross there so people know this.

- What do my players see?
    You click on SHARE to make the maps etc avaiable for your players. But after a minute you forget what your players can see and what not. Maybe add a little "Eye" icon on every shared page?

Oops.. you actually don`t see this yet!
    It`s a bit annoying that you can`t mask an area again which you have just unmasked. Please add a COVER tool or at least make it an option to revert your last actions with CTRL+Z.

Copy & Paste
    There is a lot of text in the premade adventures. But I have to turn all those paragraphs in the dragable feature texts before I can paste them in the chat window which is a bit of a hassle. When I do my own campaign I always have to create all the texts as draggable texts within FG. You never know when you need them. Please make it so that when you are in edit mode you can copy and paste every text you want. It`s something that is expected from a normal window program, especially if you have to deal with a lot of text in chat.

Gimme that pen... here it looks like THIS!
    Your interface looks very nice. Why not go a step further and make those tools avaiable on your virtual desktop? What I mean is the pen and the mask tool. They are on the 2nd "layer" of the tools once your right click. But you need them handy often in battles. Suggestion: Put a picture of a pencil (for drawing) and a brush (for mask tool) right there on the virtual desktop. By clicking on them you actually pick up the pen and do something with it. By putting it down again you leave the mask or pencil/mask mode again. Would be like the real thing on the table. Oh yeah.... while you're at it: Consider a rubber as well to remove masks or pencil strokes.

Dragable/resizable windows
    Any chance you make the chat windows draggable and especially: Resizable? Some players use a 21" screen and this tiny chat window on the left is not a lot if you have a lot of messages coming in. Also the counter window is very small. Once you load some custom tokens it`s totally garbled up and you can`t find what your are looking for.

My 2 Cents. Other than that your program is great!

Nice ideas!

Sounds for rolling dice!

From what I understand, they tried to have this at first but had problems getting the sounds to play in synch with the dice movement.

Nice. I've had this problem as well.

Agreed.

There used to be this option. It was gone last time I looked for it though.

Agreed! If you don't let go of the mouse button yet, you can hit the Esc key and undo what you started.

Copy & Paste

Besides sound, probably the most requested item. I think we'll see this implemented.

Agreed again! I do dislike having to switch from unmasking to pen, then have to turn the 'unmask' mode back on again.

This was not done because of the need to keep the chat window/dice area in synch between all the users in a game. When you roll the dice, everyone see's the exact same thing on their screen (I've logged in with a client on my laptop to the server on my pc and seen this in action). If the chat windows were not the same size, this would not be possible.

rv

In regards to sending text with a mouse click, if you just drag the text right onto the chat window instead of the chat line, it immediately posts, so you dont have to hit enter twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Amurayi
    Sounds for rolling dice!
    We tried this, but it didn't meet our quality expectations. We'll try again at some point, but this isn't very high on our lists at the moment.

What Morfedel said; try dropping the text in the middle of the chat window.

This would be a fundamental change to the user interface, but we'll give this some more thought. Needless to say, we didn't abandon Windows' windows light heartedly.

You're supposed to see little portraits appear at the bottom left corner of the maps when you share them.

We'll look into this.

Copy & Paste
    Done.

Good ideas here.

As richvalle said, the sole reason why we made it static is because of the dice throws. We have come up with a solution however and chat windows will get some new features.
    Last edited by Dupre; January 25th, 2006 at 22:37.
    Ville Leino
    Fantasy Grounds
    Funny, no response!

Quote Originally Posted by Dupre
    This would be a fundamental change to the user interface, but we'll give this some more thought. Needless to say, we didn't abandon Windows' windows light heartedly.
    A good decision! Having those ugly windowframes around the application, even when running maximised, would definitely spoil the illusion for me.
    Honor et Gloria

I'm aaaaaall for native GUIs ... except FG, which is the exception that proves the norm to me.

One of the reasons my players and I love FG so much is the "feel". It feels like you're in a different world when you play it. If I wanted Windows GUI, I'd use OpenRPG (shudder). Would be cool if you could close windows with the middle click button, though. Makes it a bit faster.

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam60
    Would be cool if you could close windows with the middle click button, though. Makes it a bit faster.
    As long as that's an option we can turn on/off as needed. I have my middle-mouse set to minimize all on every computer I use, and having that function stolen by another app would annoy me.
    This space for rent!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amurayi
    Copy & Paste

Done.
    Do you hear that? It's me screaming for joy in Los Angeles.

I was always wondering why you couldn't have the dice roll anywhere on the table. I can see why perhaps now from a techinical standpoint, but the number of times my players have rolled outside the box and gotten a 20 and then rerolled a 3 inside the box is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus
    Do you hear that? It's me screaming for joy in Los Angeles.

I was always wondering why you couldn't have the dice roll anywhere on the table. I can see why perhaps now from a techinical standpoint, but the number of times my players have rolled outside the box and gotten a 20 and then rerolled a 3 inside the box is astounding.
    Well, it does keep the chatbox from being cluttered with accidental rolls which happen, to me at least, quite regularly. Plus, there'd be no space to roll the dice for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupre
    You're supposed to see little portraits appear at the bottom left corner of the maps when you share them.
    I checked last night and I didn't see this. Is anyone else?

rv

Thread Information