Page 2 of 9 First 1234 ... Last
  1. #11
    Majyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Canada (Insomniac)
    Posts
    121
    Thanks for all the love over the years, but let the community know if you can farm out smaller tasks to convert, sir.

    I am in two groups with a few smart code-monkeys and even just data pushing can be thrown to the masses. Use and abuse us!

  2. #12
    The problem is making the RMC ruleset based off of CoreRPG means having to completely rebuild it from scratch. Yes, you can use some of the existing ruleset but you have to refactor large sections because of how it was originally built compared to how CoreRPG does it. Unfortunately, I am not a programmer so it has been a challenge. CoreRPG uses a few approaches that can take me awhile to figure out. This requires me to be working on it consistently to make any progress but I started working at some jobs for the last 6 years where I had very little free time. Luckily, I started working at a new job last year that has allowed me a lot more free time but digging through my current attempt to figure out where I left off is the current challenge.

    I could add some of the features of CoreRPG without making it based off of CoreRPG. It would ultimately be wasted work but it might be the best approach to get some features added to the ruleset.

    One thing to realize is I only got involved in developing the RMC ruleset to try to improve it to help the community because it had some issues that I wanted to correct before running my own game. I do have a copy of the 1.2 version of the RMC ruleset if you want to see the state it was in when I took it over.

    @Majyk, thanks for the offer but until I can get a base built, there isn't really anything to farm out. I can easily handle the data conversion and entry. It's just building the initial base.

    Hopefully that helps.

    Rolemaster Classic for FG Wish List - http://rm4fg.idea.informer.com/

  3. #13
    As much as it might slow things down, I would think moving forward to CoreRPG would be a awesome. It would bring the ruleset in line with the default ruleset and likely to make it easier to maintain in the long run. One thing you might check into is if Smiteworks might be able to get ICE to hook you up with the RMU beta 3 stuff. Maybe you could make an original ruleset and sell it in the store. Even if you just updated RMC to CoreRPG I would be willing to shell out for an upgrade.

  4. #14
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, USA (for a bit)
    Posts
    23,668
    Whereas, yes, RoleMaster on top of CoreRPG would be a nice step forward. As Dakadin has eluded to - this is a huge (and I mean HUGE) amount of work to do.

    FG Con 15 Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - Nov. 8-10, 2019
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Whereas, yes, RoleMaster on top of CoreRPG would be a nice step forward. As Dakadin has eluded to - this is a huge (and I mean HUGE) amount of work to do.
    Which is why I said if he does it, he should do it as an for-sale upgrade so he makes something off the work. Personally, though I own the RMC ruleset, I don't use it because it because my player's feel it's too old and clunky compared to newer offerings. I love Rolemaster (played it since before it was Rolemaster) and would love a more modern, supported version.

    I get that ruleset development is hard, slow and probably tedious, but shouldn't be a reason we can't ask for things to get better. It's not like I made an ultimatum, I gave my opinion.

    My opinion is pretty simple, if you want the functions of CoreRPG then port it to CoreRPG because then anything new that comes along with CoreRPG is available to RMC. If you take bits of CoreRPG and translate them to RMC, that won't be the case.

  6. #16
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, USA (for a bit)
    Posts
    23,668
    Absolutely, people are entitled to opinions - I don't see anything in my post where I said otherwise. All I was was doing is trying to set people's expectations about the amount of work involved in this, I wasn't addressing my post to anyone in particular.

    FG Con 15 Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - Nov. 8-10, 2019
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

  7. #17
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, USA (for a bit)
    Posts
    23,668
    Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    Personally, though I own the RMC ruleset, I don't use it because it because my player's feel it's too old and clunky compared to newer offerings. I love Rolemaster (played it since before it was Rolemaster) and would love a more modern, supported version.
    Please provide some details on this. Are you purely asking for RMC to be ported to be layered on top of CoreRPG or are you asking for an interface redesign? A move of a ruleset to be layered on top of CoreRPG gives actually very little new functionality from a player's point of view - languages (which can be done via an extension now anyway), some aspects of the party sheet, maybe tables (if the GM gives the players access to tables), reference manuals (but then they all have to be built) and other minor things (like the ability to choose which campaign data buttons are displayed in the sidebar).

    Most of the CoreRPG functionality is more relevant to a GM: data category icons replaced with group names, encounters, story templates, etc..

    If you think a move to CoreRPG will suddenly change the way the RMC ruleset interface works, then that's probably not going to happen. For example: edit buttons won't suddenly appear - that's an interface redesign; targeting won't change, that needs to be coded for in the ruleset; the clunky stuff that is there specifically for RMC now won't suddenly magically change because of CoreRPG, etc..

    I get this type of request/statement regularly with regards to the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire ruleset (i.e. I've stopped playing because we want a more modern ruleset) - and I need to set expectations there too. Hence why I'm genuinely interested in what has stopped you playing Rolemaster with this ruleset and what would make you start using it again? Like I said, "just" moving to being layered on top of CoreRPG won't change much, especially from the player perspective.

    FG Con 15 Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - Nov. 8-10, 2019
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    Even if you just updated RMC to CoreRPG I would be willing to shell out for an upgrade.
    I appreciate the thought but working on this has never been about money. I just wanted to make it easier to play Rolemaster so things ran smoothly.

    I need to wait on the RMU stuff until it's ready for release. When beta 1 came out I created an extension and module for it that included all the tables. When beta 2 came out they changed all those tables and I decided I didn't want to keep reinventing the wheel so I would wait until it was in a final state. Hopefully they get there soon but then again I don't have much room to talk.

    Rolemaster Classic for FG Wish List - http://rm4fg.idea.informer.com/

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Please provide some details on this. Are you purely asking for RMC to be ported to be layered on top of CoreRPG or are you asking for an interface redesign? A move of a ruleset to be layered on top of CoreRPG gives actually very little new functionality from a player's point of view - languages (which can be done via an extension now anyway), some aspects of the party sheet, maybe tables (if the GM gives the players access to tables), reference manuals (but then they all have to be built) and other minor things (like the ability to choose which campaign data buttons are displayed in the sidebar).

    Most of the CoreRPG functionality is more relevant to a GM: data category icons replaced with group names, encounters, story templates, etc..

    If you think a move to CoreRPG will suddenly change the way the RMC ruleset interface works, then that's probably not going to happen. For example: edit buttons won't suddenly appear - that's an interface redesign; targeting won't change, that needs to be coded for in the ruleset; the clunky stuff that is there specifically for RMC now won't suddenly magically change because of CoreRPG, etc..

    I get this type of request/statement regularly with regards to the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire ruleset (i.e. I've stopped playing because we want a more modern ruleset) - and I need to set expectations there too. Hence why I'm genuinely interested in what has stopped you playing Rolemaster with this ruleset and what would make you start using it again? Like I said, "just" moving to being layered on top of CoreRPG won't change much, especially from the player perspective.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post431157

    Please refer to this post to answer your question about my expectations from a transition to CoreRPG.

  10. #20
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, USA (for a bit)
    Posts
    23,668
    Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post431157

    Please refer to this post to answer your question about my expectations from a transition to CoreRPG.
    Thanks for the info. Personally, I don't see how the lack of CoreRPG tables and a party sheet (the specifics mentioned in that post) would result in not wanting to play Rolemaster in the current ruleset, especially as that has very little impact on the players, which you say is the main reason why you're not playing. I wouldn't let that get in the way of me gaming online with a system I love. But, hey, each to their own...

    FG Con 15 Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - Nov. 8-10, 2019
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in