5E Character Create Playlist

shareable sheets

Is it possible to create shareable "sheets" that can be both viewed and manipulated by everyone? For example, I'm working on a naval combat system and I would like a sheet that detailed the players' ship, including damage taken, the load status of various weapons, etc. But I would like for the players in charge of the cannons to be able to mark when they are loaded and ready, other players to mark the status of repairs, and so on.

Is this possible? Note that I'm not looking for players to be able to only modify certain parts of the sheet, just whether a sheet can be displayed and modified by the whole group.

Thanks,
    -KyleC

I think the easyest way is to make the sheet an image.

For the things you want to be 'modifiable' you make open squares that you can drop different tokens into.

So you could have something like

Port 6' Cannons 'arming'
    Starboard 6' Cannons 'primed'

Where 'arming' and 'primed' are tokens that they can drop next to the text.

Same for damage... just make tokens that have numbers on them so you can count them up.

There might be better ways to do this, but I think this would be the easiest.

rv

I imagine 1.06 will make this sort of thing fairly trivial

However, you can dive in to the ruleset if you like and try and do this using the <sharable /> attribute.

I haven't tested this, but I will when I get home.

I don't know the specifics of your game system, but if you don't have a concept of a "character sheet" you can make a custom ruleset that over-rides character sheet, and add the <sharable /> attribute to the <windowclass name="charsheet"> block. Then customize the character sheet itself to have the image you want with the various indicators you require.

If you need both a character sheet and a ship sheet, then you have to tweak the ruleset even further, to add a whole new type of window. For example, I'd start off using the Personalities entries as a base and tweak it to provide your ship-sheets. It'd be a fairly major ruleset overhaul, but the end result would be pretty sweet I think.

Granted, this is based on the premise that any windowclass can be made sharable using the <sharable /> attribute. That might be a flawed premise, but as I said, I'll test it when I get home (unless a dev chimes in to confirm/deny it)

I'm thinking I'll do something like this in my d20 campaign to allow the players to see each other's HP in real time.

Ok, now I'm really excited about this... I hope it works
    -Bumamgar

Ok, just tested this and it works wonderfully!

So if you want to enable character sheet sharing, simply add <sharable /> to the <windowclass name="charsheet"> block in your ruleset's charsheet.xml file.

Code:
    	<windowclass name="charsheet">
    		<datasource name="charsheet" />
    		<defaultsize width="550" height="685" />
    		<defaultposition x="415" y="50" />
    		<minimize />
    		<nodelete />
    		<playercontrol />
    		<sharable />
    		<sheetdata>
    			<subwindow name="1main">
    				<class name="charsheet_main" />
    				<activate />
    			</subwindow>
    			<subwindow name="2skills">
    				<class name="charsheet_skills" />
    			</subwindow>
    			<subwindow name="3inventory">
    				<class name="charsheet_inventory" />
    			</subwindow>
    			<subwindow name="4spells">
    				<class name="charsheet_spells" />
    			</subwindow>

<windowchangecontrol>
    				<bounds rect="530,10,15,89" />
    				<target name="1main" />
    			</windowchangecontrol>
    			<windowchangecontrol>
    				<bounds rect="530,104,15,89" />
    				<target name="2skills" />
    			</windowchangecontrol>
    			<windowchangecontrol>
    				<bounds rect="530,198,15,89" />
    				<target name="3inventory" />
    			</windowchangecontrol>
    			<windowchangecontrol>
    				<bounds rect="530,292,15,89" />
    				<target name="4spells" />
    			</windowchangecontrol>
    		</sheetdata>
    	</windowclass>
    Now, in your case, you'll also want to heavily modify the charsheet to display an image of the ship and have input controls in various places as you discribed in your post.

I'm going to play with making an entirely new sharable window from scratch (probably linked to a desktop icon) and I'll let you know how that goes. My plan will be to use it as a single "Character Status" window that lists everyone in the parties current HP and probably allows the tracking of spell effects and other things. We'll see what I come up with
    -Bumamgar

Quote Originally Posted by Bumamgar
    Ok, just tested this and it works wonderfully!

(*snip*)

I'm going to play with making an entirely new sharable window from scratch (probably linked to a desktop icon) and I'll let you know how that goes. My plan will be to use it as a single "Character Status" window that lists everyone in the parties current HP and probably allows the tracking of spell effects and other things. We'll see what I come up with
    Excellent! This is exactly what I was looking for. My plan wasn't to share character sheets but to have a separate Ship Status window similar to your Character Status window, so I'm interested to hear how your progress goes with that. I wasn't aware of the <shareable /> tag, but it sounds like it should do the trick.

FantasyGrounds is a neat application but I'm starting to get frustrated at the lack of documentation. And not to be all doom-and-gloom, but it's only going to get worse with the 1.06 scripting functionality, unless they really start putting the man-hours into documenting the new features as they go along.

But anyway, thanks for the help. I think it will solve my problem nicely.
    -Kyle
    Last edited by KyleC; January 28th, 2006 at 16:21.

Thread Information