5E Character Create Playlist

Does Prepared! require Tome of Beasts?

I'm interested in getting this collection of one-shots:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/6..._Adventures_5E

- but I don't have the Tome of Beasts. It's not listed in the requirements but it says it includes monsters from the Tome.
    What will happen if I buy it and don't have the Tome?

Blog Entries
    Then you will only have access to the beasts (NPCs) that are included in the adventure.

Adventures are built to be stand-alone. So you will get all of the NPC's you need (as well as maps, encounters, stories, etc) that are needed to run them.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Adventures are built to be stand-alone. So you will get all of the NPC's you need (as well as maps, encounters, stories, etc) that are needed to run them.
    This is mostly correct - especially for the WotC 5E adventures. But, even WotC adventures don't have all of the maps needed to run them - hence the need for additional maps created by the community for some of these modules. Take Lost Mine of Phandelver as an example - there isn't a map for the very first encounter. So, unless you have the module yourself and can check what it contains, I'd be cautious in making blanket statements like this one.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    This is mostly correct - especially for the WotC 5E adventures. But, even WotC adventures don't have all of the maps needed to run them - hence the need for additional maps created by the community for some of these modules. Take Lost Mine of Phandelver as an example - there isn't a map for the very first encounter. So, unless you have the module yourself and can check what it contains, I'd be cautious in making blanket statements like this one.
    True
    FG modules are intended to contain everything the printed version contains. As the example, maps or other things that are not included in the printed version are not included in the FG version.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

@lesliev You're probably confused by this as there are vague statements being presented in this thread - saying you get all you need, then "maps or other things not included"... etc..

Let me outline what is the usual practice for SmiteWorks reviewed WotC 5E FG products (not all FG conversions are reviewed fully by SmiteWorks, so don't take this as gospel for every single FG product out there):

1) Wherever possible, even if the NPC stats were not included in the original print/PDF product, the NPC stats will be included in the FG module. This might not always be possible if the source of the NPC is in a completely different product produced by a different publisher who doesn't give their permission to use the material. However, to the best of my knowledge, none of the current 5E WotC or Kobold Press FG products have this restriction.
    2) Other than NPCs (with the above proviso), it will be rare that you get something that isn't in the base print/PDF product. For example, the first encounter in Lost Mine of Phandelver doesn't have a map in the WotC print product, so you don't get a map in the FG product. Very occasionally you may get an FG developer/converter who adds things they think are needed, but this is very rare - don't rely on it.

@lesliev - to answer your actual question regarding "Prepared! One Shot Adventures (5E)" - the base product and the FG module contain text that reads "For statistics on the creatures, please reference the 5th Edition Monster Manual and the Tome of Beasts (where you can find creatures such as the bone collective, dogmole, salt golem, and clockwork myrmidon)." However, the FG module does contain the NPC statblocks for all of the creatures in the product - so you're good to go.

Note: NPCs from Tome of Beasts have a graphical token, whereas most of the statblocks taken from The 5E MM have letter tokens - as the WotC artwork isn't available in this product.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank-you both so much for the incredibly detailed reply!
    I'm always impressed by the FG community!

* Prepared! ordered, looking forward to running these.
    Last edited by lesliev; June 12th, 2017 at 23:09.

Thread Information