FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Campaign Crash, Dataloss & Backup issues

Good afternoon all!

I've been playing Rogue Trader with the excellent campaign environment made by Shotgun Jolly. Game has been great, about five sessions in or so, and I recently just experienced a crash when attempting to load the campaign. Attached is the error window that popped up.

I've been trying to load back in with the database backups as I've read about on the forum a bit, but when I do I get the same error message and I lose everything again upon load.

Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge which could help here?

Greatly appreciated, we've got a game today and I'd rather my players not have to recreate their characters from scratch- as well as all of the stuff I've loaded in myself.

Thank you in advance.

1) Make a copy of your current campaign directory - just in case trying to fix it removes data.
    2) In the current campaign directory, go back through the various db.----------.xml files - going back based off timestamp, most recent first. Rename this file to db.xml and try to load it up. Which sounds like what you're doing. Keep going until you get one that works - but this might be quite far back.

If that doesn't get you anything, or you've lost too much data. It will be a case of opening one of the db.---------.xml files and trying to fix the XML error. Maybe post one of those files here?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you for replying so quickly Trenloe,

I was able to load into one of the db.session.*.xml files, which contained the sheets (a few ranks behind but oh-well) but I've lost a LOT of my personal files. If we can figure out what the xml error is that would help a lot...

I attached one of the most recent db.backup files which gives me that error when I try to load it. I opened it but couldn't really make heads or tails of it.

Which line was the error reported on for this file? Opening in an XML editor it doesn't raise an error.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It says line 6384.

Actually, all that file you've sent contains is references to 20 different maps/images. There is no other FG data in there at all. And it's valid - I can load it up in FG.

Quote Originally Posted by Valendr View Post
    It says line 6384.
    Then you didn't send the right file. The one you sent only has 175 lines in the whole file.

Sorry Trenloe, attached the right file this time I believe.

The error on line 6384 is due to an apostrophe in the XML tag name:

This is not a valid XML tag name. Just removing the apostrophe fixed the issue. See the db.backup.trenloefix.xml file attached.

My players praise you as the fifth Chaos God.

Thanks so much Trenloe, we all really appreciate it!

Thread Information