Back our Kickstarter Campaign going on Now
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #11
    In a business sense, is more about ensuring continuity of the product you're providing. If all the knowledge on how to do stuff is in the head and responsibility of a single developer for any one peice of the product then that's not a good thing.

    So on the same coin, should the user not expect that the product is kept up to date if they have paid for it not only with a license to use that part of the product but with a license to use the system itself.

    I'd happily pay a maintenance upgrade fee to see the rulesets I have upgraded. After all, the revenue does stop once we have everything we need to run the game, an annual support agreement for a very modest fee would give the resource to keep everything up to date.

    What's going to happen with brp once FG Unity is released? We'll it continue to function, or will it get much worse because it's not had developer eyes on since FG v 2?

    While I understand it's a small team, and we very much appreciate the work done and are excited for features yet to come, we also have a vested interest in seeing the rulesets we've purchased continue to be usable or why would we by them?

  2. #12
    CoC was updated because it has a larger player base. It's a simple numbers game... more people means a higher chance of official support and/or community developers. BRP/Runequest/Openquest/etc doesn't have a big following here so we are SOL.

    Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    What's going to happen with brp once FG Unity is released? We'll it continue to function, or will it get much worse because it's not had developer eyes on since FG v 2?
    While I understand it's a small team, and we very much appreciate the work done and are excited for features yet to come, we also have a vested interest in seeing the rulesets we've purchased continue to be usable or why would we by them?
    I'm not sold on the idea of FG Unity yet. The fate of old / community rulesets and the ease of creating / modifying rulesets in FG Unity are my main concerns.
    GM with an Ultimate Licence
    Currently running: Taking a break

  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,630
    Blog Entries
    7
    One of the main reasons FGU has taken so long is 100% backwards compatibility with the current client. That said, for awhile, FG Classic will still be available once FGU launches, though it will eventually be sunsetted at some point in the future.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    I'd happily pay a maintenance upgrade fee to see the rulesets I have upgraded. After all, the revenue does stop once we have everything we need to run the game, an annual support agreement for a very modest fee would give the resource to keep everything up to date.
    In my opinion, if you are willing to pay in the first place, would be find a community developer and ask if you can pay them to work on this project. One of the things with community developers is we only get paid when a sale is made, if there isnt a desire for something, its hard to justify putting in time to maybe make a sale or two (especially if the updates will mostly only be valuable to people who already own the product). However if you offer to pay someone to update it, then there is an incentive for the developer to do the work.
    Ultimate License Holder.

    Currently Running:
    Mon: Savage Worlds, The Sixth Gun
    Wednesday: Savage Worlds night, currently Last Parsec

    Current Projects:
    SIXTH GUN (ADVENTURES)
    Personal Project:
    Mutant Year Zero

    Finished Projects:
    Weird Wars Rome: All 4 Supplements
    Sixth Gun: Setting

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee420 View Post
    In my opinion, if you are willing to pay in the first place, would be find a community developer and ask if you can pay them to work on this project. One of the things with community developers is we only get paid when a sale is made, if there isnt a desire for something, its hard to justify putting in time to maybe make a sale or two (especially if the updates will mostly only be valuable to people who already own the product). However if you offer to pay someone to update it, then there is an incentive for the developer to do the work.
    I have already paid once and am not keen to pay someone again for a product that never worked well to begin with.
    Ultimate License Holder. DM Since 1985. Running an in person Rappan Athuk Pathfinder game and a Fantasy Grounds 2e AD&D game.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by yeknom View Post
    I have already paid once and am not keen to pay someone again for a product that never worked well to begin with.
    Didnt you just say you would pay a maintenance upgrade fee?
    Ultimate License Holder.

    Currently Running:
    Mon: Savage Worlds, The Sixth Gun
    Wednesday: Savage Worlds night, currently Last Parsec

    Current Projects:
    SIXTH GUN (ADVENTURES)
    Personal Project:
    Mutant Year Zero

    Finished Projects:
    Weird Wars Rome: All 4 Supplements
    Sixth Gun: Setting

  7. #17
    That was Azaran.
    GM with an Ultimate Licence
    Currently running: Taking a break

  8. #18

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,630
    Blog Entries
    7
    Your best bet would be to nicely ask damned and ianward if they would be willing to do an update, since they did the CoC7E ruleset. The clincher being that there is apparently very little demand so they'd be putting in a lot of man-hours for no return on investment.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
    That was Azaran.
    Maybe i should look at the poster's name before responding
    Ultimate License Holder.

    Currently Running:
    Mon: Savage Worlds, The Sixth Gun
    Wednesday: Savage Worlds night, currently Last Parsec

    Current Projects:
    SIXTH GUN (ADVENTURES)
    Personal Project:
    Mutant Year Zero

    Finished Projects:
    Weird Wars Rome: All 4 Supplements
    Sixth Gun: Setting

  10. #20
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, USA (for a bit)
    Posts
    22,239
    There was a mention of a BRP update in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...581-BRP-Update And I remember sunspoticus posting on Facebook cryptically mentioning an update a few months ago. But no more info was forthcoming, so I don't know where that got to.


    FG Product Development status: Pathfinder Playtest Ruleset and add-ons: In development. Pathfinder Bestiary, Pathfinder Bestiary 2, Pathfinder Bestiary 3 (in store).

    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in