FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
    Blog Entries
    There is a ton of pattern matching that the 5e rule set does for NPC that automagically populates effects, but if an NPC does not match the predefined patterns, nothing gets generated.

I ran into that for a conversion I just did and I made an effect and explained how to use it as a conversion note.

I also have that module, and I have been doing a freelance job recently doing monster conversions so a lot of the standard wordings are fresh in my memory, I'll take a quick look and see if there is an obvious match.

Unfortunately, the ruleset does not allow you to cheat and prebuild effects and auto attach to NPC.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    Yes, as Myrddin says, the reason it works for Wizard's products is that Moon has hard coded string recognition into the ruleset for many (but not all) WotC abilities etc. It is not reasonable IMO to expect Moon to build patterns and effects for 3PPs.

About the best that I think can be done is for the converter/builder of the 3PP to build effects that go with the various products. Even then only some of the abilities will have possible effects, and then as noted they can not be attached to an NPC so there has to be a note instructing the person on how to add the effect to the CT.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

As far as I know JohnD is talking about the 5e version of this product. Whilst it is true that the 5e parser will pick up on a number of key phrases and attempt to create an effect the main ones that this works for are attacks, damage and saving throw rolls as well as various conditions such as poisoned, incapacitated et al. Most NPC traits do not get picked up such as the kind of thing JohnD is talking about. Things such as a Battlecry which give other creatures advantage on attacks don't get picked up (whether it's a WotC product or a 3PP one). Many of the 5e Spells do have 'hard coded' or rather exception based effects built in but not NPC traits and abilities. Outside attacks, damage and saves the NPC effect capture is as good as any other ruleset as far as I know.

So, in other words, back to my original point above. The kind of thing noted in the post JohnD made would not be automated whatever the product or wherever the source of the product.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; September 12th, 2017 at 17:58.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Yes, as Myrddin says, the reason it works for Wizard's products is that Moon has hard coded string recognition into the ruleset for many (but not all) WotC abilities etc. It is not reasonable IMO to expect Moon to build patterns and effects for 3PPs.

About the best that I think can be done is for the converter/builder of the 3PP to build effects that go with the various products. Even then only some of the abilities will have possible effects, and then as noted they can not be attached to an NPC so there has to be a note instructing the person on how to add the effect to the CT.
    This would be acceptable. Throwing one's hands up and saying nothing can be done isn't IMO.

I've said my piece. One can always vote with their PayPal account.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    The best thing I have found is to add requests to the official request list. Every update Moon Wizard adds additional functionality. Since WoTC keeps adding more books that have more NPC and rules, at a certain point hard coding some strings gets way to sub-optimal. Assigning premade effects to traits and abilities may be a good path to explore.

As for the product itself, you can add effects. This is not automated and the developer then needs to write a note for each one. There is a quick point of diminishing returns of so many notes and effects for minor abilities that you trip over yourself.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Thread Information