5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
    I've played 1st edition since it came out. Basically I walked into a store one day and saw it on the "new materials" shelf and bought it. Over the years I pulled everyone I know into the system. I've converted more D&D players than you can imagine and I've ran campaigns that lasted for years. The atmosphere and well defined history and world are irresistable to some players

There's not a HUGE difference between the versions, not like the difference between 2nd edition AD&D and D20. Warhammer survived for years on its own merits because it was a solid system. It had a very dedicated core player group that kept at it for years. When the new edition was commissioned, they sought the advice of those players. The play test groups were made up of old school players that knew the system inside and out and had practical experience with its flaws.

The net result was not so much a rewrite as a tightening of the existing rules. There were lots of redundant things in the system, those were removed (such as some of the statistics). There were things missing that were added (classes, equipment, basic mechanics). There were things that simply didn't work well or were lackluster and needed revamping (like the spell system). There were loopholes that needed closing (like the naked dwarf syndrome). And of course the new system, unlike the old, was designed to make money. They broke away from the "single rulebook" and adopted the more familliar modular system. Good for them, it might give the product longevity.

I'm longwinded, but the point is, the old familiar things that kept the dedicated players coming back are still there but it has been updated to reflect years of playtesting and field experience. The final product, in my opinion, is very solid and a viable alternative to the flood of D20 products.

I miss John Blanche and Ian Miller's artwork though There's still a bit, but not enough IMO.
    Last edited by nezzir; April 14th, 2006 at 08:37.

draeven57:

Truth's campaign has been put on hold I think. I think he got really busy because we haven't heard from him a couple of weeks. I'm looking for a game. If you have a spot open up in your campaign, PM me here or email me at:
    [email protected]

I have an unusual work schedule. I work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, but I work from home. My schedule rotates now and again (from days to nights), but I can play while I work, no problem.

If you or anyone has a WFRPx game starting up or a spot open, let me know

While I own all the WFRP2 source material, I haven't read it yet (in hopes that I would get to play it here).

Thread Information