FG Spreadshirt Swag

Spell Scroll Tables

There's a way in FG to roll randomly for all spells. However, let's suppose you want to only want to roll randomly for wizard spells. There is no way that can be done in FG presently without creating new tables.

Suggestion: The spells already are differentiated by class at the bottom of each spell description. Allow the table to have access to that.

What I'm looking at would something like this:

1d1 1st Level Wizard Spells
    1 1 [Spell Scroll (1st Level)][Wizard]

Doing this would indicate to FG that the Spell Scroll (1st Level) table should only check for wizard spells.

Formatting:
    ["spell scroll table"]["class"]

This would be a lot easier than recreating the tables for each class. This probably could be done as an extension. I don't know.

The only way currently is to roll on one of the spell scroll tables found in the DMG; which doesn't differentiate between the type of spell but just lists by level. It would be useful though to be able to roll up a random divine or arcane spell. It would require a fair number of tables though given that you could have 14 different spell classes with 7 levels of spells in each
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thereby my suggestion of modifying the code on how tables interact with non-table items. More specifically, how spells could be randomized by class without actually creating extra tables.

My thinking is along this lines: When a random spell scroll is needed, then you use appropriate table. Then the added code would first look for a ["class"] reference. If it is not there, then it would roll a completely random spell. If it is there, then, when it rolls for the spell, it would look for the class in the last line of the spell description. If the class is not in the spell description, it would reroll until it found one that did. This would be based on my suggested formatting.

Code:
    DEFINE spellscrollclass:TEXT

***Some type of code that checks for "[" following the original text in the cell.  IOW, it would check for the "[" after "[Spell Scroll (1st Level)]" (as an example).  Then if there is none, the spellscrollclass would be set to be empty.  If not, then it would extract the text between the "[" and "]" and assign the text to spellscrollclass, and check to see if the text is an actual class.  If there is no closing "]" it would assign spellscrollclass to be empty and continue.  If not, then proceed as normal.  If so, see the following suggested code.

SELECT CASE choosespellbasedonclass
         CASE "Cleric" CALL chooseclericspell
         CASE "Druid" CALL choosedruidspell
    ENDSELECT
    ***This code would select the appropriate subroutine.  If the CASE is not listed, the program control would go on as normal.

SUBROUTINE chooseclericspell
    DEFINE classsource:TXT
    GET classsource
    IF classsource="Cleric"
         THEN ***choose the spell and assign spellchosen the name of the spell.  The variable "spellchosen" would be the same variable that the Spell List Window would use (I think).
    RETURN
    ***The subroutine will make sure that the appropriate spell is in the appropriate spell list.  If the spell being looked at is not a Cleric spell (in this instance) then the FG will return from the subroutine reroll the spell.

IF spellchosen<>""
         THEN ***go back to the table to reroll the spell.
    There probably is a simpler way of doing this and I was using the BASIC programming language (sort of, modified to suit my needs to get the point across). The variables I chose are descriptive and does not represent the actual variables used in the FG coding (since I have no idea what variables FG uses).

And, as I said, I think this could be easily done as an extension.

If somebody can understand my "coding" and wish to code an extension using my "code" as a guide, go ahead.

Well, if Moon Wizard sees this I'm sure he'll have a comment

In the meantime you might want to add this to the wish list (where he'll definitely see it).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

It sounds like a great idea for a community extension.

JPG

Thread Information