DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I fear I have not been clear enough, unless I am misunderstanding what is required.

You wish to apply the Bear Totem to an NPC, so whilst this creature is raging it has resistance to all damage except psychic (It would appear also that you want it to not resist magic which isn't something inherent in the Bear Totem trait). So (and I have now tested this) create an effect in the effects dialog of RESIST: all, !psychic and when the creatures turn comes around and it goes into a rage apply the effect to the creature. Henceforth (until the effect is deleted or runs out) the creature will resist all damage except psychic damage.

If you don't want to do this then the only way to do it would be to amend the resistances of the NPC in the NPC sheet by adding all of the resistances into it (except psychic obviously).

I'm not entirely clear to be honest what it is you want to do with the magic part. The suggestion above is that the effect be RESIST: all, !psychic, !magic but that will not work if a wizard were to cast a spell which dealt fire damage for example. This is because, as I said above, magic isn't seen by FG as an attack type when a spell is cast. You can set up an effect which can resist certain attacks from non magical weapons. RESIST: piercing, bludgeoning, slashing, !magic will achieve this. When placed any non magical attack that does those damage types will be resisted unless the weapon is magical. An effect of RESIST: fire, !magic will also resist all fire attacks from a weapon unless it is a magic weapon.

So if you want resistance as per the bear totem then RESIST: all, !psychic will do it. If you want the damage from a spell attack to not be resisted, then I think you are going to have to do that manually.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I appreciate everyone weighing in to assist. Let me try to clarify.

I AM wanting to add the resistances that one gets from the bear totem (minus the magic resist) to an NPC via the NPC stat sheet. This is due to the fact that I intend for my players to be fighting several of these NPCs at once and don't want to have to stop things while I edit the effects in the combat tracker.
    I can, as you described, add all the various damage types to the resistances field excluding psychic, but there are two problems with this approach:
    1) It's tedious and I didn't want to type all that out if someone had already found an easier way (I'm a lazy IT guy, what can I say)
    2) If, for some reason, my group found a way to make up a whole new damage type, I would have to go back and add it in to each NPC that I wanted to give this trait to. So it's better, from a programming point to exclude things they aren't resistant to than to try and cover everything they are resistant to.
    Additionally, FG tracks another damage type of "magic" which negates resistance to other damage types from the same source. It is most commonly found on magic weapons with physical damage, so I needed to find language to exclude resistance to a damage type if the magic type was present (I think I have found that now with the help of everyone here in the community)

So, in short, I didn't mean to sound unappreciative. I couldn't be more thankful of the help and mentoring I've received from this community. I was trying to convey a thing that I was looking for and doing a poor job of it.

You didn't offend in any way whatsoever.

Clearly having to type all the resistances into each NPC would be tedious and I can see why that is a non starter. Additionally as I said earlier that would be unsatisfactory anyway since the rage isn't automatic and it does have a time limit.

However adding the effect from the effects dialog means that you only need to create the effect once and then click the effect button to add it to the CT for each NPC as their turn comes around. So that shouldn't slow anything down nor create a lot of work.

If you only want to negate the resistance for magic weapon damage then it will involve a little more typing in that you'll need to create two effects. The first will be RESIST: acid, fire, cold etc and the second will be RESIST: slashing, piercing, bludgeoning, !magic. Incidentally FG only recognises the standard damage types from 5e; if you create a new damage type you can't just add it to resistance because it won't work. (At least I don't think it will - I haven't tested it).

And just to be clear, since you have mentioned typing effects into the CT, I am talking about creating the effect in the effect dialog. Click the small running man icon on the top right hand side of the screen and create the effects in the dialog that opens. Use the effect by clicking on the icon next to the effect in the same window. Apologies if you understood this but I mention it just in case.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

And just to be clear, since you have mentioned typing effects into the CT, I am talking about creating the effect in the effect dialog. Click the small running man icon on the top right hand side of the screen and create the effects in the dialog that opens. Use the effect by clicking on the icon next to the effect in the same window. Apologies if you understood this but I mention it just in case.
    Didn't even know this was a thing I could do... I feel dumb now.

Thanks for pointing this out. It seems so simple now. Can I make an ability in the NPC sheet that references a custom effect I created so that I can "target" all the relevant NPCs and apply the effect to all of them at once? I doubt it but thought I'd ask.

Quote Originally Posted by crankdawg47 View Post
    Didn't even know this was a thing I could do... I feel dumb now.

Thanks for pointing this out. It seems so simple now. Can I make an ability in the NPC sheet that references a custom effect I created so that I can "target" all the relevant NPCs and apply the effect to all of them at once? I doubt it but thought I'd ask.
    Not as such. You could create a PC with the effect on it and havt that PC only available to you. With that PC on the CT you could select multiple targets and place the effect on all the targets. Seems overkill though, and the presence of the PC could complicate other things.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Not as such. You could create a PC with the effect on it and havt that PC only available to you. With that PC on the CT you could select multiple targets and place the effect on all the targets. Seems overkill though, and the presence of the PC could complicate other things.
    I'd have to agree. Still its better than nothing. Thanks for the tip

Thread Information