DICE PACKS BUNDLE
  1. #1

    Fantasy Ground Map by Kevin Beck standard and with lighting

    Good day fellow gamers!

    I am building a campaign in Fantasy Grounds called Adventurous Endeavors and in doing so one of the things I have discovered I enjoy most is making battle maps. I use Campaign Cartographer 3+ as my program of choice. I have the Dungeon Designer 3 add on that I use for dungeons. The following two maps are maps I made that resemble what the final battle maps for my campaign will look like. Both feature the same cave structures but one of the maps has lighting effects and the other one does not. Both maps represent areas of approximately 120x85 in feet and 37x26 in meters if my basic math is correct. . Both were saved at 2000x1400.

    I used these dimensions because the the battle maps that come with Fantasy Grounds appear to be representing similarly sized areas assuming each square represents 5ft. I placed a 5ft grid on one of the maps within the CC3+ program and when placed into Fantasy Grounds that five foot grid came out to about a square of 85 when placing a grid in Fantasy Grounds.

    My question is which of the maps do you think makes a better battle map? Lighting or no lighting? I think the lighting adds tactical issues for the players that a good gamemaster could exploit. For example, giving the lighted map to players without darkvision while giving the unlighted map to those with it?

    The final maps will have symbols on them representing various in campaign details but I wanted to give a sample here since I am having fun building this campaign and wanted to share.
    Last edited by kevdog45; May 17th, 2017 at 21:54.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    3,096
    Your conversion from feet to meters is backwards. There are.305 meters per foot. Nice maps though.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    Your conversion from feet to meters is backwards. There are.305 meters per foot. Nice maps though.
    Thank you for correcting me! I got meters mixed up with yards. I fixed the post. Also thank you for your compliments.

  4. #4
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    -7 UTC
    Posts
    17,520
    Blog Entries
    9
    I would find the map with lighting to be difficult to use as a DM. The dark areas are hard to distinguish where they are walls. Also, the shadows will vary depending upon lighting sources. Many/most adventurers will have at least torches if not light spells or lanterns, etc. So though shadows and lighting are a nice artistic effect, I think they take away from usability when done as heavily as you have done.

    You could do some 'light/minimal' lighting effects for ambiance, but I would not try to realistically represent any one lighting condition.

    Also note, you will not want to have an actual grid on the image when you add it to FG. Instead just put a 5ft square in the top or bottom left corner and use that as a guide for overlaying an FG grid on the image.

    Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I would find the map with lighting to be difficult to use as a DM. The dark areas are hard to distinguish where they are walls. Also, the shadows will vary depending upon lighting sources. Many/most adventurers will have at least torches if not light spells or lanterns, etc. So though shadows and lighting are a nice artistic effect, I think they take away from usability when done as heavily as you have done.

    You could do some 'light/minimal' lighting effects for ambiance, but I would not try to realistically represent any one lighting condition.

    Also note, you will not want to have an actual grid on the image when you add it to FG. Instead just put a 5ft square in the top or bottom left corner and use that as a guide for overlaying an FG grid on the image.
    I expect that I will probably not use the shaded maps in my actual games. It is curious though that the people choosing to load up the maps loaded up the shaded one more than the non-shaded.

  6. #6
    Zacchaeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    21,092
    Some info on exporting maps for use in FG from CC3 or CC3+ here and also here.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Some info on exporting maps for use in FG from CC3 or CC3+ here and also here.
    The multiplying by 10 is exactly what I do now. I was playing with resolutions when I made the map I posted. All the other maps are made with that rule paramount. Sometimes I double it so that I can get better resolution and then just use a 100 square within fantasy grounds for my grid.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Log in

Log in