DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
    I think the technical issue is around max HP changing due to drain, spells, abilities, etc. and FG not automating that side of it. i.e. if you add an effect CON:-4 then max HP would change (and you have to do this manually in FG). If you were counting wounds down from maximum, then you'd also have to work out how to manually change the current HP level due to this changing and it could get a little complex. If you count wounds up, then all you need to worry about is "are my wounds more than my current max HP? If so - oops! I'm down." You don't need to be constantly changing the current HP if your max HP level is changing. It makes it easier to manage that aspect, even if it sounds a bit strange for many RPGers who are used to counting down from max.

If someone wants to write an extension for this, then go nuts. Just remember that all of the underlying FG code is written to count wounds up (and healing down), so be sure to not replace the current wounds data/code but add in "Current HP" and calculate off wounds - i.e. Current HP = Max HP - wounds. But then you'll still need "wounds" to be visible so that you can modify them as needed to cater for what I mentioned above and other manual changes to wounds - wounds will still have to remain your master data value for wounds/HP remaining data. If you start to try to sync wounds <-> current hit points both ways then your code is going to get very, very complex.
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 7th, 2017 at 17:02.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I really believe that this can be handled as a display option at some point, but it is non-trivial, which is why it hasn't been done yet.

JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I think the technical issue is around max HP changing due to drain, spells, abilities, etc. and FG not automating that side of it. i.e. if you add an effect CON:-4 then max HP would change (and you have to do this manually in FG). If you were counting wounds down from maximum, then you'd also have to work out how to manually change the current HP level due to this changing and it could get a little complex. If you count wounds up, then all you need to worry about is "are my wounds more than my current max HP? If so - oops! I'm down." You don't need to be constantly changing the current HP if your max HP level is changing. It makes it easier to manage that aspect, even if it sounds a bit strange for many RPGers who are used to counting down from max.

If someone wants to write an extension for this, then go nuts. Just remember that all of the underlying FG code is written to count wounds up (and healing down), so be sure to not replace the current wounds data/code but add in "Current HP" and calculate off wounds - i.e. Current HP = Max HP - wounds. But then you'll still need "wounds" to be visible so that you can modify them as needed to cater for what I mentioned above and other manual changes to wounds - wounds will still have to remain your master data value for wounds/HP remaining data. If you start to try to sync wounds <-> current hit points both ways then your code is going to get very, very complex.

I was just thinking of it adding a little display box (non interactive) to the character sheet that displayed (max hp - wounds). Honestly, I wouldn't care about effects that lower your max hp, because not only are they not common enough to be a recurring issue, but manually adjusting your max hp and wounds after an effect that changes your max hp isn't too difficult compared to the current solution for displaying a 'current hp' (putting your max hp in wounds and reverse the damage as you drop it in from chat every time you take damage, and add the healing. This also doesn't allow you to use FG automation for damage.) So even an extension with a slight issue is better than the current solutions IMHO.

After several hours of XML research and trial and error, I have emerged with a homemade Current HP extension!
    This is my first extension, so it may possibly be sloppy, but it works well and I'm very proud of it (as simple as it may be).

Quote Originally Posted by xxXEliteXxx View Post
    After several hours of XML research and trial and error, I have emerged with a homemade Current HP extension!
    This is my first extension, so it may possibly be sloppy, but it works well and I'm very proud of it (as simple as it may be).
    Nice one.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Well done.
    Now... what are you going to tackle next...?
    I'm not sure. Now that I know the basics of making an extension, I can start fixing some issues I might come across in the future. Feels good.

Good extension. Thanks for the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    It's because this is the way you would do it in pen and paper. You leave your hp as it is and note wounds, adding in further wounds as you go. FG is only reflecting that.
    Been playing RPGs since '95, in several different groups and systems. We always ever only kept track of remaining hit points.
    Natural 20 - that's how I roll.

Good Extension ... kudos
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    UK Based DM - Ultimate Licence Holder
    Discord: Mavrik6666#9572

Thread Information