DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: How to Attack

How to Attack

Although I've been using Fantasy Grounds for D&D 5e, it obviously doesn't work the same for BRP. I just bought the BRP ruleset, and I put two characters in the combat tracker, then dragged-dropped them onto a map and started the combat. I dragged the weapon skill from one character to the other character, which in D&D 5e causes the attack roll to occur and judge hit/miss, but here it just drops the dice without a roll being made. I tried to use the Token Target Mode to target the other character, but again, it neither displays who is being targeted in the combat tracker, nor does anything when I drop the weapon skill on the target.

Obviously, I'm a noob when it comes to BRP. I assumed my experience with Fantasy Grounds would carry over somewhat from D&D 5e to BRP, but obviously not. Can someone help me out here? How can I perform a basic attack and inflict damage?

Blog Entries
    Welcome dandrum1
    I dont have that ruleset so I dont know the answer. Every ruleset can vary significantly in interface, features and how things are done. There are a bunch of reasons for that including different programmers, when the system was coded (newer rulesets tend to have better features and more consistency) and the amount of use a ruleset gets too.
    Hopefully someone with BRP experience will be along soon.

Welcome to the forums!

In the <FG app data>\docs directory there is a user guide: Basic Roleplaying for Fantasy Grounds II - User Guide.pdf

Get to this directory by clicking the folder icon in the top right of the main Fantasy Grounds startup screen, thill open a file explorer at the main FG app data directory, then go to the "docs" directory.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Also, note that with BRP, you don't really attack a target number (like AC in d20 based rulesets), you make an attack against your own percentage chance, which can be modified; and then the target has a change to parry/dodge. So dragging an attack to a target doesn't really make the same sense like it does in 5E, for example. Just roll your attack (with modifiers applied), then the target gets to do their defending as a separate action.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you very much! I searched around the internet but couldn't find an answer or how-to on youtube. Thanks again for the rapid and helpful feedback!

Thread Information