DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Unity is a commercially available engine. It's kind of like a programming language, but it has a library of functions that you can build your applications with. You can get more info here; https://unity3d.com/unity

In short, if Unity doesn't support multiple windows, then it won't be possible. I know the concept of detached windows is great, but as others have said, how many applications do you know of that can do this? The only one I know of is Gimp. And as Nylafs said, even programs that cost thousands of dollars (professional CAD) don't have this capability.
    hmmm Unless I am not understanding correctly but I use CADD program every day and it supports multiple screen effortlessly

Depends on which one. Solidworks doesn't you can only spread it acrossed like FG, ProE has seperate windows for that can be on seperate screens, last I knew AutoCAD you could only stretch across.

According to my very lazy Google search, multi-monitor has only been in Unity since version 5.3 and is very flimsy and unstable and requires multiple GPUs. Not a single source I have found recommends using it, in fact a majority of them say its not worth the effort, and it breaks the UI. Sounds like it is not worth the headache to make it work for FGU. They also say that it doesnt give you total multi monitor support, it treats it all as one monitor and combines your resolution to make one single torn image, that again breaks the UI and is very flimsy and crashes frequently. Again from my research, it seems that 99% of the people who have tried to multi monitor with Unity have given up and went back to single monitor.
    FGU Standard License Holder.

Currently Running:

Blog Entries
    That's not entirely accurate. Unity does support multiple monitors and does not require additional GPUs. There are issues if the monitors are different vertical resolutions. The primary issues with multiple monitor support in Unity are 1) requires Unity to be in fullscreen mode, 2) once an additional monitor is enabled, it cannot be disabled, 3) it breaks the UI.

Unity is not designed to be a windowing environment, i.e. the ability to move subwindows outside the main program window boundaries, and is very unlikely to be able to do so. It is worth noting that even if Fantasy Grounds was developed in an environment that supported multiple windows (which would require separate codebases for each platform), windows within Fantasy Grounds are not windows. At least not in the way that the OS defines them. Windows in Fantasy Grounds are defined in the ruleset XML and have no contextual meaning outside of Fantasy Grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Depends on which one. Solidworks doesn't you can only spread it acrossed like FG, ProE has seperate windows for that can be on seperate screens, last I knew AutoCAD you could only stretch across.
    microstation dual monitor support ( never was a fan of autocad) Not sure if i've ever heard of solidworks

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Don't maximize FG, but stretch it across the two monitors.
    That works for PC's in certain configs, but not for Macs. With Mac you cannot span dual monitors, the windows must be seperate.

You can span a window across two monitors as I do it all the time when I run FG on my Mac.

This can be done by clicking the System Preferences icon in the Dock or by clicking the Apple icon on the top left of the screen and selecting System Preferences. You are brought to the Mission Control settings screen. Click to uncheck the Displays have separate spaces checkbox to disable it.

Blog Entries
    There may be some misunderstanding of the multi-monitor support in Unity. It is used for fullscreen, non-windowed use of multiple monitors like you might find in an FPS or other game. This doesn't allow access to the desktop, or other folders. Expanding a window across multiple monitors is, of course, supported just like any windowed program.

Quote Originally Posted by dmbrown View Post
    You can span a window across two monitors as I do it all the time when I run FG on my Mac.

This can be done by clicking the System Preferences icon in the Dock or by clicking the Apple icon on the top left of the screen and selecting System Preferences. You are brought to the Mission Control settings screen. Click to uncheck the Displays have separate spaces checkbox to disable it.
    This made my day! Thanks!

Thread Information