Starfinder Playlist
  1. #1

    Managing Characters offline not working

    I'm unable to manage character sheets offline. When I load up the campaign the character sheets come up as level 0! I'm not the DM, I have FG Full license, use a mac and play through Steam. Help!
    Last edited by Klaatu_the_druid; April 29th, 2017 at 22:39.

  2. #2
    Erin Righ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Vernon, BC, Canada
    Posts
    396
    Youcan't connect to your GMs game unless your GM is connected, so you can't manage characters without her

  3. #3
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    33,582
    If you've connected to the GM once before you will have your character available in the local cache (read only) and can access that through manage characters - by selecting the campaign name from the bottom section of the manage characters start screen. The key thing here is that it is read only as you are accessing previously used campaign data. And you can only access the PCs one campaign at a time.

    But, you can then export this character (from within Manage Characters for a specific campaign) to use elsewhere, or you can go back into the generic Manage Characters (select the ruleset from the top part of the manage characters start screen instead of the campaign) and import the character you've just exported.

    This may sound a bit convoluted, but it is necessary to keep campaign cache data separate from the players general set of characters. But you can manage your characters this way, outside of being connected to a GM.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

  4. #4
    I have a question about exporting characters. I have played in 5 or 6 campaigns, but only one ever shows up in the list for managing characters. I even tried creating my own campaign, created a character in it, and it's not on the list.

    What has to happen to get a campaign to appear on the "manage characters" page so that I actually can access the characters from that campaign?

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    33,582
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinRuneblade View Post
    What has to happen to get a campaign to appear on the "manage characters" page so that I actually can access the characters from that campaign?
    When you join a game as a player using the "Join Game" screen, a copy of the campaign data is downloaded into your local cache on that computer and on that computer only. This is done for each campaign you join, and it is these campaigns that are shown in the "Manage Characters" screen.

    If you joined on another computer, then the campaign will only be available if you run fantasy Grounds on that computer.

    If you do a new installation on a different computer then your cache will be empty on that computer.

    If you have ever cleared your cache (clocked the nuke button in the top right of the Join Game screen), then you have removed the cache for all of the campaigns you've joined on that computer.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    When you join a game as a player using the "Join Game" screen, a copy of the campaign data is downloaded into your local cache on that computer and on that computer only. This is done for each campaign you join, and it is these campaigns that are shown in the "Manage Characters" screen.
    So we can never manage the characters for campaigns we create ourselves, nor use those characters in anyone else's campaign? We can only manage characters from campaigns that we "join"?

  7. #7
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    33,582
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinRuneblade View Post
    So we can never manage the characters for campaigns we create ourselves, nor use those characters in anyone else's campaign?
    You manage those characters within those campaigns.

    The reason I can think of to have a PC in manage characters that allows you to directly upload it when you join another GMs game. But this is only available in the generic ruleset based manager characters, as Manage Characters for a campaign you've connected before is read only - see post #3.

    If you have a character in a campaign you can export it to a XML file, and then import that into Manage Characters (generic ruleset based). Or, you could just email that XML directly to the GM to load into their campaign.

    It is a bit confusing, I hope that answers more questions that causes more confusion.

    Oh, and a belated welcome to the FG forums!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    You manage those characters within those campaigns.

    The reason I can think of to have a PC in manage characters that allows you to directly upload it when you join another GMs game. But this is only available in the generic ruleset based manager characters, as Manage Characters for a campaign you've connected before is read only - see post #3.

    If you have a character in a campaign you can export it to a XML file, and then import that into Manage Characters (generic ruleset based). Or, you could just email that XML directly to the GM to load into their campaign.

    It is a bit confusing, I hope that answers more questions that causes more confusion.

    Oh, and a belated welcome to the FG forums!
    Thanks for the welcome and the help.

    I am one of those who can never seem to successfully host a game because no one can ever connect to me. We've tried everything listed in the support forum and nothing works. So one of the players has his fantasy grounds acting as the DM, but I actually run the game. I had made a couple characters for two of my new players and wanted to import them to his game, but I can't, because they are saved in my campaign which no one can join.

  9. #9
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    33,582
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinRuneblade View Post
    I had made a couple characters for two of my new players and wanted to import them to his game, but I can't, because they are saved in my campaign which no one can join.
    Export your characters from your campaign and email the XML to the GM to load into their campaign. See GM Actions -> Export a Character here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ter_Management
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

  10. #10
    Yup, I know how to export. I have them ready to go. Thanks again!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Log in

Log in