DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Can I make the dice roller subtract the results of the roll?

I am trying to set up my first Hero system character sheet. The common way for most players to roll to hit is to add their OCV + 11 and subtract the 3d6 die roll. That tells them the highest DCV they would hit. I can't find any way to make the character sheet take my modifier and subtract the die roll from that.

Blog Entries
    Hi rickyhunt - are you using CoreRPG, MoreCore or your own custom ruleset?
    If using MoreCore you could relatively easily modify the /thac0 roller to do what you want - it will require some LUA re-coding but most of the work is done for you.
    If you explain the exact mechanic in some detail I might even do it for you...

I am using the CoreRPG. I am still at the steep part of the learning curve and not ready to break out the lua yet. Sometimes these things are obvious once they are pointed out, which was what I was hoping for.

Blog Entries
    Do go and try MoreCore - its a free ruleset and IMO is waaaaay better for most games than running CoreRPG by itself...
    It still doesnt do what you want wrt this roll but if you spell out the mechanic in detail I may do it for you...

I plan on running some Champions too, Damned. Likely the primary reason requests for this are starting to surface is because of the once in a lifetime incredible bundle of holding deals for 4th edition going on currently. I'll get you some specifics if you have time to look at the roll. If not, I can try to look at it, though I have no experience making rolls. You are definitely the resident expert here for MoreCore rolls.

The basic attack roll is Base Target Number of 11 + Offensive Combat Value - Defensive Combat Value = Target Number. Roll 3d6 to equal or lower than Target Number.

What rickyhunt was saying is that most players subtract the 3d6 roll from 11 + OCV and tell the GM the resulting number. The GM would then compare that to the DCV (champions equivalent of AC) of the opponent.

Example: if a character with an offensive combat value of 6 attacks a character with a defensive Combat Value of 4, he has to roll 11+6-4= 13 or less to hit. or Alternatively, he rolls 13 on 3d6. 11+6-13 = DCV 4 and reports that to the GM. GM determines its a hit.

A character's attack then does several d6 of damage. The total of the dice is stun damage. From the same die roll, Body Damage = 1 for each dice +1 for each 6 and -1 for each 1.

Example: If the dice of a 6d6 attack rolled 1, 1, 4, 4, 5, and 6 the attack would do 21 Stun and 5 Body. (1 for each die = 6. Add 1 for the 6, making 7. Subtract 2 for the 2 ones. Total = 5).

For killing attacks (which include most weapons), roll the damage dice listed to determine the amount of Body damage done. Then roll 1d6-1 (with a minimum of 1) and multiply it by the Body damage to find the amount of Stun damage done to the target.
    Last edited by vodokar; April 22nd, 2017 at 20:54.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Blog Entries
    So the OCV is pretty static for a character?
    It only changes say on a level up or gaining some new ability/power/skill/weapon?

I can certainly make that roll.

And you would need 2 HP fields?

Blog Entries
    So if I read that right you really want to roll LOW on your 3d6 so that you hit a higher DCV or are DCVs descending like old school D&D?

Attachment 18633

I havent done any Damage Rolls just yet.

duplicate post
    Last edited by vodokar; April 22nd, 2017 at 21:10.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

That is correct. The base combat target number is 11. Success = roll equal or under. (Now I see your confusion. I made a boo-boo in my original post. Changed it now to read equal or lower than.)

OCV is based on each attack power or skill. So, you might have an OCV of 4 with a punch and OCV of 6 with a ninja sword or an OCV of 8 with an energy blast etc. That adds to the BTN making it more likely that you succeed. Thus, it's the same always for each specific attack, but varies between different types of attacks, because you point buy purchase in each offensive power separately.

DCV works the same way. There are several defenses, such as physical defense, energy defense etc. It increases as you put character points into each type of defense.

Thus, if the attacker has more OCV and/or rolls lower, he will be able to hit higher and higher DCV Target Numbers.

Looks like what you have so far is going to work great.

One additional piece of information:

Skill Roll TN = 9 + (Characteristic/5) + skill_level or less. i.e. roll under Skill Roll TN on 3d6 for success. The higher your characteristic and/or higher your skill_level, the higher your TN and thus better chance of success.

The best way to do that would be: set up a base skill roll that has TN - 3d6 die roll. Use modifiers for each skill that could be applied to the roll. If the roll has a positive total, that is a success. If it is a negative total, it is a failure.

If we have the attack roll, basic damage roll, killing damage roll and skill roll, I think that should cover everything.
    Last edited by vodokar; April 22nd, 2017 at 21:08.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Thread Information