5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last
    Blog Entries

Mac OSX Testers needed

Method 1: (New as of 4-16-2017)
    Zeus put together a more standard DMG file. There still may be a problem with it being unsigned that requires you to temporarily allow apps to be installed from Anywhere. We are looking into the requirements and steps needed to sign the document digitally.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel...%20Grounds.dmg

*Note: When you open the app, CTRL+Click on it. You may see a warning that the application is unsigned, but the CTRL+Click will provide an option to Open Anyway.

Method 2:
    Our very own Zeus has put together a new, simpler installer for Mac OSX users that doesn't require WINE. Just download the file linked below and unzip it into your Applications folder. Enter your license key and username and run the update to complete the installation.

Download Link:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel...rounds.app.zip

Instructions from Zeus:
    After downloading and unzipping the archive, users will need to:
    1. Move the unzipped file to the /Applications or /Users/<username>/Applications folder
    2. Launch the FG Client and click Settings to update license information and registered DLC - Note: Users may also want to change the app data path to point to /Users/Library/Application Support/FantasyGrounds as the default points to the Application Data folder inside the wrapper

Attachment 18581
    Last edited by ddavison; April 20th, 2017 at 17:37.

Been so long since I installed this on my macbook.

Coincidentally, I was about to go out in the backyard after cleared some things so could hang with boy and was going to continue working on an adventure I was converting to FG.
    I'll try installing it first.

Any problems having both versions installed?
    Secondly, I am not knowledgeable about Wine (either interpretation, really) - I recall seeing that Steam installed the client in some "faux" directory relating to Wine and that it did the Wine stuff since I knew naught of it.

How does this new installer get the Win binary to work under MacOS? If it isn't using Wine, what is it doing? You mention it is a new INSTALLER not a new "native" Mac binary.

Will be testing either way just curious.

Does it present a conflict if FG is already installed with Wine?

If not, I am more than happy to try it.

Blog Entries
    It still uses Wine. It is in effect a new pre-wrapped WINE installation. It shouldn't prevent a conflict with any other installation as long as it doesn't use the same name.

Blog Entries
    Ok, so I borrowed my wife's MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2011) running OS X Yosemite (ver 10.10.5) and this is what the process is like for me;

1) Downloaded OK
    2) Clicking zip file give me a security message saying it can not install from an unidentified developer unless I change security settings
    a) Apple > System Preferences > Security & Privacy
    b) Click the Lock to make changes, enter password
    c) Change apps Allow from Anywhere, accept appropriate prompts
    Note, "Open Anyway" for the message about Fantasy Grounds did not appear to work
    3) Click Fantasy Grounds.exe, confirm Open
    4) FG launch screen shows
    5) Go to Settings, enter license key, username & password
    6) Run Update
    7) Created New 5E campaign

Observations
    - FG compatibility mode for Mac and Linux was checked automatically, I left it that way
    - Install appeared to happen quickly/instantly. Maybe this was the Open Anyway worked and I just didn't know it?
    - no problem with 3D dice roll, performance seemed perfect/as designed
    - Window Maximize seemed to (mostly) work, task bar or whatever its called was still on top
    - internal windows (like Images & Maps) I could not get to close when app maximized
    - exiting launcher screen took a bit, use RMB quit on icon

Anything else you want me to test?

Now, can I uninstall it like a regular application or is there something I need to do?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I had similar problems with the unsigned code warning. Also could not run it from the Downloads folder due to a read-only error writing to a plist. Had to move it to Applications, after which that worked out fine. License, downloads, updates, etc. all worked as expected.

I like the fact that I can launch it outside of the Steam shell. Other than that still wishing for a native client; WINE is pretty awful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burningneuron View Post
    I had similar problems with the unsigned code warning. Also could not run it from the Downloads folder due to a read-only error writing to a plist. Had to move it to Applications, after which that worked out fine. License, downloads, updates, etc. all worked as expected.

I like the fact that I can launch it outside of the Steam shell. Other than that still wishing for a native client; WINE is pretty awful.
    You will get that - but not until Unity - and Unity will be here when its here and not sooner

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burningneuron View Post

Welcome to FG and the community! Thanks for posting your feedback to.

As Damned implied, FG is being re-written into a new architecture using the Unity platform. There is no timeline for it's release yet, hopefully this year or next. But, they do keep making improvements to the current architecture while they are working on the future. You can search the forums for Unity to get more info.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I have tested this Mac OSX installation and here are my findings:

Mac Stats:
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
    Processor:3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
    RAM:16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Graphics:Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
    OSX Sierra version:10.12.4

After downloading and unzipping then moving it to the "Applications" folder I tried to open it.

At first I received an error saying that I could not open the application because "the identity of developer cannot be verified". In order to get passed this I took the following steps:

1. Went to "system preferences"
    2.Went to "security & privacy"
    3. Where it said "Allow apps downloaded from" Apple had "App store and identified developers only" selected by default. Also, Fantasy Grounds was listed below that with a button that offered to"open it anyway". After unlocking the little lock in the bottom left corner of the screen that allows me to "make changes" as an administrator, I clicked the button to "Open FG Anyway" and that allowed Fantasy Grounds to launch.

Everything appears to be working well after entering my license to activate the application. The only thing I am trying to sort out is how to get FG to fill the screen. So far it isn't quite filling the screen on my mac. (Edit*** I figured out the full screen issue, You just have to select "Window > Zoom" and it goes to full screen on the mac.)

Thanks for this though! I am glad I can play this on the Mac OS. I actually set up Bootcamp with Windows on my Mac mainly for the purpose of playing Fantasy Grounds on my laptop after failing to get it working on my own before seeing this thread.
    Last edited by patoarch12; April 16th, 2017 at 15:32.

Blog Entries
    We are looking into a DMG version and into signing a copy so that you won't have to see the security warnings.

To fill your whole screen, we don't recommend using the Maximize button, but instead just restoring back to a windowed view and then dragging the screen dimensions to fill the full window (or multiple screens in a two-screen layout.) This is actually how I recommend doing it on Windows as well.

Thread Information