5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

New 'full screen panel' feature for VTT/Real Table hybrid play...?

I'm working on a template file for making & importing maps for use on a TV laid flat running FG and using real minis & terrain (tables, bookshelves, etc).

Using the new full screen panel. feature.

My goal is to have the template display the maps entirely on the full screen panel Without having to scroll the map any during play. In other words, the Entire map is visible.

I'm having some trouble getting the image size to fit without any scrolling vertically or horizontally.

Pizel Res = 1920 x 1080
    TV Size = 55"
    Grid size 50p/inch
    FG UI = 100%
    Using PhotoShop to edit images/create the template

How do I go about achieving this?
    Last edited by Savage Sully; December 28th, 2018 at 03:06.

You'll need to look at the exact dimensions of your TV and work out how many pixels per inch it uses if you want to fit a grid square to be 1 inch on the TV. However, you will always be limited to a maximum image resolution of 1920x1080 if you don't want to scroll the map.

For example, getting the dimensions for a 55" TV from here: https://www.inchcalculator.com/169-tv-dimensions/ (yours may be different)

This shows 47.9"x27".

1920 / 47.9 or 1080 / 27 = 40 pixels per inch. So you need to use a 40 pixel grid on your maps. You'll need to resize your maps before adding to FG if you want the easiest match, or you may just want to free zoom your map until you get the grid square roughly one inch.

You may also want to look at this extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-To-Face-games It does all the hard work for you - matches the image displayed to the size of your TV. But, currently, this does not work with the two panels, it will only work in windowed mode. Which, floats above all the other FG desktop controls/graphics and so I've never had issues using this in windowed mode in many face-to-face games. Sometime in the future I may look at updating that extension to cater for the new desktop panels, but not for a while as I have other priorities and think the current implementation works well for most uses.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    You'll need to look at the exact dimensions of your TV and work out how many pixels per inch it uses if you want to fit a grid square to be 1 inch on the TV. However, you will always be limited to a maximum image resolution of 1920x1080 if you don't want to scroll the map.

For example, getting the dimensions for a 55" TV from here: https://www.inchcalculator.com/169-tv-dimensions/ (yours may be different)

This shows 47.9"x27".

1920 / 47.9 or 1080 / 27 = 40 pixels per inch. So you need to use a 40 pixel grid on your maps. You'll need to resize your maps before adding to FG if you want the easiest match, or you may just want to free zoom your map until you get the grid square roughly one inch.
    Thankyou Trenloe!!!

The 50 pixels/inch WAS my error. After resizing to 40 px/" it now lines up perfectly & will work well with terrain pieces & minis!

For use in the FULL SCREEN PANEL I sized it to...
    Pixel Res = 1900x1000
    Width = 47.5" x Height = 25"
    Res = 40px/inch

This allows me to import 24"x30" Paizo Maps and create new maps within the 47.5 x 25" dimensions. Keeping the ENTIRE map on the TV/Tabletop screen with NO scrolling. This is at fully zoomed out. Should keep any real mini or terrain placement issues from occuring. I know this will be great for using the FoW feature too!

Last edited by Savage Sully; December 28th, 2018 at 03:11.

Thread Information