FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Any way to make a "shove"?

In 5e, a player can replace an attack with a shove, when doing so the player does an athletics check contested by the targets athletics or acrobatics.

Is there any way to automate this? I have a player who is specialized in using shove to knock creatures prone and I would love a way for this to be as streamlined as possible

whats the best way to go about resolving repeated shoves?

There isn't a way to do opposed rolls automatically in 5e within FG. Obviously you can set up a prone effect easily enough but you'd need to do the opposed rolls manually. I can't think of any particular way that you can streamline it. Most NPCs won't have any kind of bonus to their skills but those that do have them on the NPC sheet (and not on the CT). Otherwise you can just make a STR or DEX roll from the CT.

Not sure what your second question is, but if the shove succeeds and the target is knocked prone presumably it can't be shoved again. If the shove fails then you can presumably have a go again in the next round. Or is your question something different.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Sorry, it wasnt really a second question but more of a "TLDR" summary. Knowing theres no easy way to automate a shove answers my question. Thanks!

It's pure cheese but maybe creating an "at-will" power/spell under the "Actions" tab?
    Last edited by Stitched; April 12th, 2017 at 19:49. Reason: Example was poor

Quote Originally Posted by Stitched View Post
    It's pure cheese but the way I've seen it done is creating an "at-will" power/spell under the "Actions" tab.
    That's not how Shove works in 5e. Shove is a contested skill check, not a save. Building it the way you suggested will only ever check against a static value and won't factor in if the monster has higher dex or str.

The player is supposed to make a Strength (Athletics) check.
    The target then makes a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to contest it based on whichever one of their stats is higher.

If the player rolls HIGHER than the target, then the creature is knocked prone or shoved back 5ft.

To automate this our player simply hotkey'd Athletics checks to F1, and the "Prone" effect to F2. As a DM, you can quickly roll checks by double clicking the monster token on the map that they have targeted. Be aware some monsters have prof with athletics/acrobatics, so you'd want to roll the skill itself rather than doing a standard check. You can also just do a straight D20 roll and glance at the CT to see if you need to add any modifiers.

Keep in mind I have a player who will make 3 or more shove actions in a turn, so I've gotten used to it and as automated as it can get.

Thank you for outlining some of the underlying weaknesses of the 5e ruleset, Dracius. The way manual saves and checks/opposed checks are currently handled need retooling/fixing.

Blog Entries
    Personally this doesn't seem like something that is broken.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    There currently is no way to handle opposed checks, using FG's automation. While not happening all the time, they are a part of the 5e mechanics.

Blog Entries
    There currently is no way to handle opposed checks, using FG's automation. While not happening all the time, they are a part of the 5e mechanics.
    No automated way to handle opposed checks. But there are other things that it can't handle either. Doesn't mean it's broken, it just means it doesn't have that capability (yet).

We 5E players are kind of spoiled because there is so much automation. But we do have to remember, not everything has automation. Doug and/or Moon have repeatedly stated that their intent is for 80-90% of automation.

All that said, I do think it's worth adding to the wishlist or voting on if the idea is there. It would be valuable to have, I just don't think it's required to have to play.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you for outlining some of the underlying weaknesses of the 5e ruleset, Dracius. The way manual saves and checks/opposed checks are currently handled need retooling/fixing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Doesn't mean it's broken, it just means it doesn't have that capability (yet).
    Stitched doesn't seem to have used the term broken in the posts to which you've responded... lets burn the straw man.

There is no disagreement here. All agree the ruleset does not do something that the system requires. All may not agree on the importance of the specific mechanic missing from the ruleset... but that not everyone is going to agree is... obvious.
    Ram

If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself. -- Confucius

Thread Information