FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 8 of 12 First ... 678910 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    i will build you an exalted Roll if you do the following:
    1. Have someone else post here and confirm that the mechanics you posted above are correct
    2. You export and share one or more completed character sheets using the new roll

Thanks! I will look for somebody to confirm the mechanics, but I am uncertain what's required for the second one but would plan on doing it.

To make the mechanics cover every possible Exalted scenario that I know of, one should include a way to adjust the number required to generate a single success on the d10 (e.g. 5 instead of 7) and be able to toggle on and off if 10s count as two successes. These are rarely used mechanics, but possible.

I haven't been able to get anybody to sign up and confirm my description of the rolls, which leads me back to my original offer of possibly paying somebody to build it (so the builder is not assuming the risk).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quorlox View Post
    Exalted is based on d10s.

Every action is based on a dice pool, which is the number of d10s that are rolled.

The number of dice in a dice pool are calculated by adding a base (typically Attribute + Ability), adding any additional modifiers (e.g. from equipment or stunts), and subtracting any dice-pool penalties (e.g. internal penalties). For example, let's say a character has Dexterity = 2 and a Martial Arts = 2, a 2-die stunt bonus, and a -1 Wound penalty; the character's dice pool would be 2 + 2 + 2 - 1 = 5.

Once the dice pool is determined and rolled, you need to count the number of successes generated. Any d10 that is 7-9 counts as one success and for almost every character that matters, a 10 (i.e. 0) counts as two successes. So continuing the 5-die dice pool example, let's say the player's d10s resulted in the following: 1, 2, 7, 8, 10. This would result in 0 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 4 successes.

After the successes are calculated, you remove any bonuses or penalties to the successes (e.g. spending Willpower, external penalties), which are then subtracted from the total number of successes. In this case, let's assume the character has 2 bonus successes and has a -1 external penalty so his net successes are 4 + 2 - 1 = 5.

After all of this, you have to compared the number of successes to the difficulty of the task, which can be anywhere from 1 to 10+. If the character gets less than the difficulty, the action fails, if the character's result is equal to or exceeds the difficulty, the character succeeds. The number of successes beyond the difficulty is referred to as the threshold, and threshold successes can have additional impact (e.g. extra damage, more difficult to resist, etc.). Continuing our example, let's assume the difficulty of the task was 3, the character who got five successes would succeed with two threshold successes.

Some rolls are made against static difficulties, while others, like those in combat, may be actively resisted so the difficulty is determined by the result of a roll from a different dice pool.

Many tasks are completed by the roll of a single dice pool, while others like crafting or chases, are determined by multiple rolls against a difficulty (static or not) and net successes (1 + threshold successes) need to be summed until the task is completed.

The result of dice pool roll that has no die getting 7+ and at least one die rolling a 1 is considered a botch, which tends to be bad for the character. If at least one die as a 7+, the number of 1s rolled does not matter.

Hopefully that provides enough information, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    Ok so lets make some assumptions.
    We are going to build a roll called /exalted that will roll the total number of d10s in the pool. The d10s will come from Attributes+Ability+Equipment+Stunts-Penalties.
    Every 7, 8, 9 will increment Successes by 1 and a 10 will increment Successes by 2.

After the roll you then apply further modifiers. Why do you do this after the Roll?

At what point does the player learn the difficulty? At what point does the player learn about these external modifiers?

The difficulty may be set at the beginning for the roll, although sometimes it is kept secret. If the roll is opposed, the difficulty is set by another roll. For ease of use, it would be nice to have a Difficulty that could be set for each roll, with the default Difficulty = 1.

The d10s that can contribute to rolls can come from many sources, including Charms, which is the usual magic used by Exalted.

Penalties to a character's dice pool need to be announced before the dice are rolled, so those are known at the time the dice pool is being created.

There should also be a way to adjust the threshold for counting successes. In Exalted, it's almost always 7+, but there are a few rare powers that reduce it to 6 or 5 or whatever.

And for successes, there would need to be an option where 10s only count as one success, e.g., they only count as a single success when rolling for damage.

Often modifiers to the number of successes are applied after the roll out of convenience; they could be applied beforehand because they are simply added or subtracted from the resulting number of successes.

And I described a botch above, that should provide some kind of notification, e.g., BOTCH!, just to make it clear that something bad is about to happen.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Hi, sorry Quorlox and damned,
    I havn't seen the exalted project was going on. good I can help also!
    I confirm the rules given by Quorlox.
    I'll look ate /crom roll, it could be a very good start just modifying the d6 by d10 , thank you for the advise.

See you,

Just checking in to see if there was any progress on the Exalted roller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quorlox View Post
    Just checking in to see if there was any progress on the Exalted roller.
    sorry nope.
    Smiley confirmed the rolls a week or so again and this ha not yet gotten to the top of my list...
    I do plan to do it though...

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    sorry nope.
    Smiley confirmed the rolls a week or so again and this ha not yet gotten to the top of my list...
    I do plan to do it though...
    Hi damned, hi Quorlox,

Ok I checked the crom lua and I have very few modification to do to adept it for exalted (modify success levels, remove the damage calculation, tooltips). I will following the doco, to create the new roll. Combination of /mod and /exalted should work perfectly
    I will try to do a first version for the next week.

See you!

Hi damned, hi Quorlox,

I succeeded to create the exalted rool from crom. I attached the extension so you can try it.
    The ext folder contains only the files which needed to be modified as explained on MoreCore user guide.

It still might no be the best way, but I suggest to create a /mod roll for everything (attributes, weapon, charms,...) except for skills for which you create the exalted roll with the level of the skill as parameter.
    I coded also the botch situation : no success and at least a 1s, there is a message saying "too bad, this a botch!"

I hope you will enjoy it! See you!
    exalted.png
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information