STAR TREK 2d20
Page 7 of 12 First ... 56789 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Ok, if I understand in our case the modifier will not be added to the result of the roll, but at the number of dices rolled, like in the image I attached. I really like it : I can have all the details of the pool, and add dices from the GM or the player

Attachment 25433
    Been away from FG for a few years, but hope to run an Exalted (2nd Edition) campaign soon so am wondering if the quoted discussion resulted in an Exalted add-on

Blog Entries
    I dont know the mechanics for Exalted... another game sitting on the shelf that Ive never looked at...

Explain how your Dice Rolls work at the table and Ill offer some suggestions for how you would do it in MoreCore
    Be as specific as possible. More info is better than 6 back and forths to find out the detail.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I dont know the mechanics for Exalted... another game sitting on the shelf that Ive never looked at...

Explain how your Dice Rolls work at the table and Ill offer some suggestions for how you would do it in MoreCore
    Be as specific as possible. More info is better than 6 back and forths to find out the detail.
    Exalted is based on d10s.

Every action is based on a dice pool, which is the number of d10s that are rolled.

The number of dice in a dice pool are calculated by adding a base (typically Attribute + Ability), adding any additional modifiers (e.g. from equipment or stunts), and subtracting any dice-pool penalties (e.g. internal penalties). For example, let's say a character has Dexterity = 2 and a Martial Arts = 2, a 2-die stunt bonus, and a -1 Wound penalty; the character's dice pool would be 2 + 2 + 2 - 1 = 5.

Once the dice pool is determined and rolled, you need to count the number of successes generated. Any d10 that is 7-9 counts as one success and for almost every character that matters, a 10 (i.e. 0) counts as two successes. So continuing the 5-die dice pool example, let's say the player's d10s resulted in the following: 1, 2, 7, 8, 10. This would result in 0 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 4 successes.

After the successes are calculated, you remove any bonuses or penalties to the successes (e.g. spending Willpower, external penalties), which are then subtracted from the total number of successes. In this case, let's assume the character has 2 bonus successes and has a -1 external penalty so his net successes are 4 + 2 - 1 = 5.

After all of this, you have to compared the number of successes to the difficulty of the task, which can be anywhere from 1 to 10+. If the character gets less than the difficulty, the action fails, if the character's result is equal to or exceeds the difficulty, the character succeeds. The number of successes beyond the difficulty is referred to as the threshold, and threshold successes can have additional impact (e.g. extra damage, more difficult to resist, etc.). Continuing our example, let's assume the difficulty of the task was 3, the character who got five successes would succeed with two threshold successes.

Some rolls are made against static difficulties, while others, like those in combat, may be actively resisted so the difficulty is determined by the result of a roll from a different dice pool.

Many tasks are completed by the roll of a single dice pool, while others like crafting or chases, are determined by multiple rolls against a difficulty (static or not) and net successes (1 + threshold successes) need to be summed until the task is completed.

The result of dice pool roll that has no die getting 7+ and at least one die rolling a 1 is considered a botch, which tends to be bad for the character. If at least one die as a 7+, the number of 1s rolled does not matter.

Hopefully that provides enough information, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Blog Entries
    Ok so this is how FG uses the Modifier Stacks:

You have a number (no idea what the max number is) of slots in which you can put a modifier.
    When you add a modifier in there it adds the Number and the Description (where available) - eg: Cover /mod 1, Strength /mod 3, Wound /mod -1
    So you build a pool of:
    Strength +3
    Wrestling +2
    Size +1
    Wounds -1
    This would result in something like:
    Roll + 5 [Strength +3, Wrestling +2, Size +1, Wounds -1]

Now when we do this with a Dice Pool it does something like this:
    Strength +3, adds 3d10 into the Pool with the Descriptor Strength +3
    Wrestling +2, adds 2d10 into the Pool with the Descriptor Wrestling +2
    Size +1 adds 1d10 into the Pool with the Descriptor Size +1

Now when you go to remove Dice how do you do it?
    Which dice do you remove?
    I know this feels like semantics, and for a human brain its so simple you dont give it a moments thought.
    But the way the FG pools are built there is no way to remove "some of the dice in that slot" eg removing 1 dice from the Strength Pool because of the Wounds. What if the Wounds was 4? The we have to remove dice from at least 2 slots as no pool has 4 dice in it.

Im sure this could be programmed but it is a long way from simple so the current Pools, Dice Pools, cant/dont support this.

So - how could we work around this?

I have to back track a bit and talk about how we might set the rolls up excluding the dice we have to remove first.

Lets start with the following Rolls and Parameters to get us going
    Challenge Roll /rollpool
    and
    Strength /pool (p1)d10
    and
    Wrestling /pool (p1)d10
    and
    Size /pool (p1)d10

So you might set all the Attributes, Skills, Equipment and Advantages etc as /pool (p1)d10

You would click all the appropriate Attributes, Equipment, Advantages etc and then click the Challenge Roll
    All the dice would be added to the Pool and the Pool would Roll

So this gets us a fair way along to were we are going without any programming.
    A little setup to get started and then its pretty easy.

Now we need a way to count 7-9s as 1s and 10s as 2s and ignore other results (except for your fumble) and to Drop Dice.

So we would need to create a new Roll that does something like:

Collect the Penalties from the Modifier Box and Sum them.
    Roll all Dice and do a for loop
    nSuccesses = 0
    while n <= penalty nSuccesses = nSuccesses;
    while n > penalty if rRoll.aDice[n].result == 10 then nSuccesses = nSuccess+2 elseif rRoll.aDice[n].result > 6 then nSuccesses = nSuccess+1

So.... there is a roll with some degree of complexity to construct....
    On working this thru Ive switched methods several times and now that I have completed it I wonder if not using Dice Pools and just using Modifiers might not be the best way... the bolts would be the same but the nuts would be a little different...

Thanks for walking through a possible solution. Could one just do all of the initial adding and subtracting using integers and then once the size of the rolled pool is calculated, then calculate and roll the dice pool? So an Attribute might be 2 instead of 2d10 and an Ability also 2 instead of 2d10. After they are added and any additional modifiers are taken into account, the resulting integer is converted into a dice pool and rolled.

Blog Entries
    You could... but you wouldnt use the Dice Pool.
    You would get the ModifierStack and assign its total as something like nMod, store the desc in sModDesc, and you would then roll nMod dice in one go via the new Roll and do your calculations.
    This is kinda what I was thinking when I got to the end of my explanation above...

You could... but you wouldnt use the Dice Pool.
    You would get the ModifierStack and assign its total as something like nMod, store the desc in sModDesc, and you would then roll nMod dice in one go via the new Roll and do your calculations.
    This is kinda what I was thinking when I got to the end of my explanation above...
    So what would be the best way for me to get started? I have some programming skills (C# for Unity, a little java).

Blog Entries
    Darkpoet Ive uploaded v1.50 - it contains some fixes for a couple of Rolls plus added some new Rolls that interact with the Target in the Combat Tracker.

/attackac #d#+#xH or /attackac #d#+#xL will roll #d#+# and compare to the Defense value of the Target either Equal or Higher xH or Equal or Lower xL
    /damageroll #d#+# will roll #d#+# and apply that damage to the targets Wounds
    /damagedr #d#+# will roll #d#+# and apply that damage to the targets Wounds less the targets Defense value

Blog Entries
    Hi Quorlox if you have a look in the Doco there is some basic instructions about the files that need to be created and edited to add a new Roll.

I would start with /crom Roll...
    Copy the file and rename it as manager_custom_exalted.lua and create a new roll called exalted
    It looks like a combination of /mod and /exalted Rolls will quite likely be able to do what you want much more easily than using Dice Pools...

Give it a go and holler of you need some direction.

Hi Quorlox if you have a look in the Doco there is some basic instructions about the files that need to be created and edited to add a new Roll.

I would start with /crom Roll...
    Copy the file and rename it as manager_custom_exalted.lua and create a new roll called exalted
    It looks like a combination of /mod and /exalted Rolls will quite likely be able to do what you want much more easily than using Dice Pools...

Give it a go and holler of you need some direction.
    Out of curiosity, are there people one could hire to build something like this?

Thread Information