DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Conditional Operators/Creature Types - no tiefling/half-orc?

I'm looking at the conditional operators for creature type and I noticed two core 5E races aren't on the list, tieflings and half-orcs. Is there any way to make conditional operators work for specifically these two races (and not all humanoids in general?) Whether by effect syntax or even extension, if anyone knows of one.

And, is there a place I can request these races get added to the list? Seems pretty important for 5E. I mean, merfolk is on the list! Merfolk!!

Sorry, but what do you mean conditional operators for creature types? Where are you seeing this?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Sorry, I may have been describing it poorly. I'm talking about conditional operators such as IFT: TYPE (dragon), where "dragon" is the creature type I'm referring to.

The list of possible creature types on https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...php/5E_Effects doesn't have tieflings or half-orcs (and I tried just using those on the board and they didn't work.)
    [creature type] = aberration, beast, celestial, construct, dragon, elemental, fey, fiend, giant, humanoid, monstrosity, ooze, plant, undead, aarakocra, bullywug, demon, devil, dragonborn, dwarf, elf, gith, gnoll, gnome, goblinoid, grimlock, halfling, human, kenku, kuo-toa, kobold, lizardfolk, living construct, merfolk, orc, quaggoth, sahuagin, shapechanger, thri-kreen, titan, troglodyte, yuan-ti, yugoloth

Ah, ok. Tieflings and half orcs are humanoids.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

They are, but I believe halflings, elves, and dwarves are too? Humanoids is such a broad creature type. Great for ranger favored enemy, but this all came about when I was attempting to make a sword effect that granted extra damage against tieflings. I don't want the sword to grant extra damage against ALL humanoids, just tieflings. And it feels odd that I could make a sword that does extra damage against, say, only dragonborn, another 5E playable race, but not tieflings (or half-orcs).

I think the answer is that those listed are all monster types - apart, oddly enough for Dragonborn; so I'm not sure why they made it onto the list. There's no Tiefling NPCs but equally Volo has Xvarts and Grung and they aren't listed either. Leave it with me.

Is there a specific usage for this? The creature types were picked based on usage within an existing power/effect, though I don't remember all the details since I researched it quite a while ago.

Specifically, for half-orcs, they are treated as both humans and orcs.

It's not clear that tieflings should be able to be targeted as a race, so thus why I asked for an example.

Cheers,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Is there a specific usage for this? The creature types were picked based on usage within an existing power/effect, though I don't remember all the details since I researched it quite a while ago.

Specifically, for half-orcs, they are treated as both humans and orcs.

It's not clear that tieflings should be able to be targeted as a race, so thus why I asked for an example.

Cheers,
    JPG
    Hi Moon Wizard, the campaign I am running has a lot of tieflings (including a mostly-tiefling NPC guild), so I was looking to be able to design effects that specifically key off tiefling targets. Examples; a sword with IFT: TYPE (tiefling); DMG: 2, or a shield with IFT: TYPE (tiefling); AC: 1, that sort of thing. I know I could use IFT: TYPE (humanoid), but of course that would include far too many other humanoid types as well. If it were an uncommon race (like aarakocra) missing from the possible creature types, that would be fairly understandable, but tiefling is core PHB, so I was thinking it might be good to include.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rades; April 8th, 2017 at 07:01.

Moonwizard means an example from the existing spells, features, magic items in 5e. The current types were included because something in 5e needed to specify them. I don't think the other races are included as monster types because they don't have anything that specifically targets them.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Ahh, gotcha. I'm not sure if there is anything in 5E existing spells/features/items that specifically key off tieflings. The items I was making that give buffs/penalties against tieflings are my own creations. I never even suspected that the FG creature type list was based off existing 5E needs, as I never would have expected that there'd be something that specifies kenku, or grimlocks! Haha.

Thread Information