STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Module folder crashing/closing

Every time I attempt to go into my module folder to take a module I've created from my pc to my laptop the folder closes/crashes itself no message. Mind you this happens just opening the folder, FG isn't running at the time either.

Any ideas on how to fix this or am I just kinda screwed and have to reinstall and remake the modules I want to export?

Thanks,
    Xeromex

I will let a Windows guy answer this, but it sounds like you are having an issue with previews of .mod files. I don't know how you can turn off previews without entering the folder though. You should be able to drag the whole folder over to your laptop though. I am not sure why you would just need to move some modules and not all of them.

Are you saying that when you open the folder that your modules are in (or try to open it) it doesn't let you? I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. Can you give us more details please.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    I remember reading about this recently. From that I remember, Birdmaron is right, it has to do with Windows trying to preview the file (since it thinks it's a music file)

There is a Windows Update that should fix the issue; https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-5bee88216577

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Would that not be fixed by associating .mod files with Fantasy Grounds?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Possibly "fixed" as in "won't crash" but then you have a file that is just tempting the user to double click it thinking it will load into FG when it really won't. Then forum threads complaining about that...

I don't understand why FG won't take zip files as mods and extensions. It's not like some other non-FG file is going to have a db.xml or base.xml file that has the required tags for FG to recognize. Why can't FG just assume that a .zip in the appropriate folder is an extension or module and try to load the xml file? After all, it loads them anyway (since if you put in a bad .mod or .ext it doesn't show up in the relevant place)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    I don't understand why FG won't take zip files as mods and extensions. It's not like some other non-FG file is going to have a db.xml or base.xml file that has the required tags for FG to recognize. Why can't FG just assume that a .zip in the appropriate folder is an extension or module and try to load the xml file? After all, it loads them anyway (since if you put in a bad .mod or .ext it doesn't show up in the relevant place)?
    Because they are specific files. ZIP is a very generic file extension. I frequently make temporary backups of FG data by quickly ZIPping up files within FG folders. I don't want FG reading any old ZIP file - that would probably cause more problems than solve anything.

That notwithstanding, having everything .ZIP would further confuse things. How would you know what a FG ZIP file was and where to put it? .pak = \rulesets, .mod = \modules, .ext = \extensions, .ppk = portraits - .ZIP = ???
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

@xeromex Some possible solution info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ndows-explorer
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So as Trenloe and LordEntrails said that fixed my issue, thank you for your help once again proving how awesome the people of these forms are.

Thread Information