5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Need help with a damage roll feature

Hello,

I have used the CoreRPG and 3.5 to add some features to the Dark Heresy ruleset. There is a weapon quality in the game that allows players to roll twice for damage and pick the highest die. Based on 3.5 damage rolls, is there a way to add that to a single roll? Roll compare two die return the higher then continue the automation? It would be nice to have the report give the discarded roll, I know a few players will feel better.

Since the damage is added diretly to the CT, rolling twice, then going back to the CT to adjust the discarded roll, well, frankly defeats the awesome sauce that is the 3.5 tracker. I have struggled with this for weeks and would really like to add the feature. I just have no idea where to start.

I figured I could add a check box, if the box is checked then I could add a die to the roll. So sending two die to the action_damage was a start. From there as the process headed off to the actions_manager I got in over my head.

Ideas or pointers appreciated.

Paul

Blackfoot did something similar for the custom ruleset he is developing - basically removing one or more dice from a damage roll, and his ruleset is based on 3.5e too. You may want to PM him or reply to this thread to see if he can give more details: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ve-DMG-Effects

I believe the theory behind it is that roll results include a LUA table (like an array) of dice, and you can step through each dice ("row" in the table) - find the lowest die result and remove the whole die from the table. Blackfoot may have done this or found another way...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I did something similar in the 5E ruleset for advantage/disadvantage. (I.e. Roll 2 d20 dice, and choose highest/lowest). I even made the result die icon in the chat box to be green/red based on adjustment.

Things you need:
    * add extra die to roll
    * add info to roll data that this is a "linked" dice roll.
    * if you are rolling more than 1 die originally, you also need to add info to roll data to track which particular dice are "linked".
    * when the onDiceLanded event occurs, use to roll data to determine whether dice are linked (and which ones if needed).
    * Build your own chat message roll result with the roll text and which dice you want to display.

Cheers,
    JPG

I will take a stab at solving this and integrating it into the Dark Heresy Ruleset (with the modifications Paul has provided). I'm at Disneyland this week but I will try to get it uploaded next week. I will then upload the new Dark Heresy ruleset with this and the modifications that Paul provided. Paul also provided a set of modified instructions which I will provide, as well (giving him credit for all of this, of course). It's nice to collaborate with someone on these sort of things rather than being a sole source provider

Thanks JPG for the direction on where to look for the 2 rolls.

Danny
    Developer for lots of adventures, particularly 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, and Pathfinder 2E

Timezone: US Eastern Time
    Ultimate License Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I did something similar in the 5E ruleset for advantage/disadvantage. (I.e. Roll 2 d20 dice, and choose highest/lowest). I even made the result die icon in the chat box to be green/red based on adjustment.

Things you need:
    * add extra die to roll
    * add info to roll data that this is a "linked" dice roll.
    * if you are rolling more than 1 die originally, you also need to add info to roll data to track which particular dice are "linked".
    * when the onDiceLanded event occurs, use to roll data to determine whether dice are linked (and which ones if needed).
    * Build your own chat message roll result with the roll text and which dice you want to display.

Cheers,
    JPG
    I can't seem to find the 5e ruleset (even in Test or Dev mode) so I'm assuming it isn't released yet. Can I get a copy of the .xml and .lua files that address the 2 rolls, keep highest/lowest as you mentioned above, please (so I can mimic what you did)? I will PM you my direct email address.

Thank you,

Danny
    Developer for lots of adventures, particularly 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, and Pathfinder 2E

Ultimate License Holder

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sciencephile View Post
    I can't seem to find the 5e ruleset (even in Test or Dev mode) so I'm assuming it isn't released yet. Can I get a copy of the .xml and .lua files that address the 2 rolls, keep highest/lowest as you mentioned above, please (so I can mimic what you did)? I will PM you my direct email address.

Thank you,

Danny
    5E is available (invite only) through the Test slot of the FG updater. Drop a PM to moon_wizard to get added to the test group. Once your added you will need to open up the Updater and re-authenticate, 5E should appear in the list of packages for download.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Nevermind. I am withdrawing my name from attempting to fix this and retiring from ruleset development. Good luck with the helm of the Dark Heresy ruleset, Paul.

Ultimate License Holder

Sciencephile,

If 5E access is issue, I will be able to get you access on Monday. I have only been able to respond via phone since mid-week, so I haven't been able to set up yet.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks. I already told Paul I will attempt to help him once he/I gets access. Part of it is that I am getting burned out trying to work within a proprietary codeset in my free time. I am managing a 20 million dollar high risk project for my day job and my evening are limited and I'm getting a bit burnt out monkeying with code on what little free time I have. I am taking second seat as Paul has done a good job modifying the ruleset.

Ultimate License Holder

Sciencephile,

I just added access to 5E for you. The functions you are looking for are ActionsManager2.encodeAdvantage and ActionsManager2.decodeAdvantage.

Cheers,
    JPG

Thread Information