FG Spreadshirt Swag

hosted network windows 10 issue

I have been successfully using FG at the tabletop at a friend's house without internet connectivity (I think he has a tin foil hat!) by setting up an adhoc hosted network connection on my laptop and having a second laptop hook up to this. Pretty easy to do with a little guidance from Google and I would heartily recommend it as the way to go for an FG LAN party. All good so far!

The problem comes that I have bought myself a new laptop with modern state of the art hardware including intel wireless with full widi capabilities (so I can now run our flatscreen tv wirelessly via chromecast, and with more grunt to handle multiple client laptops since investing in an ultimate licence in the sale Disappointingly I found I was not able to set up hosted networking at all on the new laptop and further research seems to indicate it has been removed from latest drivers because it is an old feature that is being depracated by MS bless them, in favour of just having the option to switch on a mobile hotspot. I've tried using this option and while it seems very straightforward to set up a connection between laptops that can share internet and file share, sadly FG will not connect.

Now to my FG related question!
    Under the mobile hotspot arrangement, windows sets up a virtual network adaptor which automatically bridges to the internet connected wifi adaptor (on IP 192.168.1.xxx) but on a different subnet (typically 192.168.137.xxx) . FG appears to only be listening for incoming connections on IP 192.168.1.xxx as this is still displayed on the launch screen of the host machine.
    When connecting from the client machine I have tried using both IP addresses manually, and even using the alias feature but FG cannot connect. I can ping between computers on the 192.168.137.xxx address but not the other.
    I am wanting to know if there is any way manually that I can force FG to "listen" for incoming connections on the virtual adaptor rather than the real adaptor ie on the 192.168.137.xxx subnet?

I can of course work around this issue for now by running the hosted network on my old laptop which I am still using as one of the clients but I am potentially losing out on performance, plus if its correct that the hosted network feature is being deprecated it would be nice to think there was a more future proof solution other than buying a separate travel router which I suppose would do the job.

Blog Entries
    FG is (or should be) listening on the other IPs too but can only display one internal address.
    Quite likely though your Wifi network connection on the new computer may not be set to Private - if its set to Public it will have the Windows Firewall settings turned right up.
    Please check the Wifi settings in Network and Sharing Center.
    Players should connect to the internal IP that is on that same network - you should be able to find that IP with ipconfig in a cmd prompt.

Also - the Ultimate will require the users PCs to have access to the internet on the initial connection so they can verify the ultimate license.

Thanks for trying but I don't think its a windows firewall issue- I had already tried turning it off completely on both host and client machines but still couldnt connect. You were right though that mobile hotspots default to public network settings. Win 10 doesnt exactly make it easy to change either! I eventually managed it via secpol.msc console but it made no difference to connectivity in the end. At least I can still use the hosted network option on my other laptop still for now. Thanks anyway.

Blog Entries
    check whether the wifi hotspot has something like "wireless isolation" or something similar that could be keeping the wifi clients separate from each other.

Thread Information