DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

How to Make a 5e Adventure for Sale on Fantasy Grounds

Greetings:

I am writing with questions that have to do with converting an adventure module to sell on Fantasy Grounds. I know that the process requires official contact with the developer, and I see a lot of tutorials to help with the process. But I have some basic questions about where and how one starts, to see if development is feasible for me.

The adventure module I'm writing is 32 pages and has text and maps. It uses the 5e ruleset with no variations. The module contains several NPCs made specifically for the adventure, though the NPCs use the standard classes from the PHB. The adventure introduces some custom-made magic items.

How much of the "conversion" process involves writing code specific to the adventure if one seeks to have the adventure fully automated for use with FG's tools? Is it possible for me to start working from the interface that a GM uses to add text, maps, and other assets when preparing a regular FG session?

Best,
    LRB

Blog Entries
    You can do most module conversions just by using the regular interface. If you want to include pre-generated characters, custom classes, or backgrounds then you will want to do stuff with another tool (at least in part) or xml coding.

If you want to release a conversion, the first thing you need is permission from the copyright holder of the adventure. Assuming you have that, you have three options for distribution;
    - contact SmiteWorks about distribution on their store, [email protected] (usually they only work with other companies)
    - 5E adventures can be released through the DMsGuild.com (this gives you access to more than just the SRD/OGL material)
    - distribute through third parties (this method you will need to comply with the 5E OGL/SRD)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably buy a copy of Fantasy Grounds. Is the standard version sufficient for accessing all the tools of the regular interface and doing xml coding? Why does one need to do xml coding for a pre-generated NPC? Wouldn't the creation interface native to FG suffice for entering data and saving the character?

By "conversion," I mean the process of preparing an adventure for Fantasy Grounds. I won't be converting a preexisting module; the adventure is one I'm writing, and I have my permission.

If I publish the adventure, it will be OGL, and I'll Kickstart it. DMs Guild is neat, but it limits one's ability to Kickstart an adventure. Before Kickstarting, I'll likely start a company by hiring a law firm like Morrison/Lee, to walk me through starting a business.
    Last edited by L. R. Ballard; March 16th, 2017 at 06:10. Reason: Changed "creation tool" to "creation interface"

Blog Entries
    There are two ways to include pre-gens - you can export them one by one and the GM will import them one by one (zero coding required by you, little more effort by the GM required) or you can include them in the Library module itself with a nifty + sign to add them to the available characters but you will need to do a small amount of XML encoding.
    You can create/convert your adventure/module with the standard version.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    There are two ways to include pre-gens - you can export them one by one and the GM will import them one by one...
    You can export them all in one file, and so do a one time import as well. Use /exportchar in the chat window to save all PCs in the campaign to an XML file.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    There are two ways to include pre-gens - you can export them one by one and the GM will import them one by one (zero coding required by you, little more effort by the GM required) or you can include them in the Library module itself with a nifty + sign to add them to the available characters but you will need to do a small amount of XML encoding.
    You can create/convert your adventure/module with the standard version.
    Thanks. I bought the standard version. I built a character using the Character Management utility, saved the character as an XML file on my Desktop, then imported the character to a campaign I began to create. Is that process similar to what a GM would have to do, and, if so, where would the file be saved in an adventure intended for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    You can export them all in one file, and so do a one time import as well. Use /exportchar in the chat window to save all PCs in the campaign to an XML file.
    Thanks. I now own the standard version. I created two PCs and will try exporting them all in one file.

Don't create characters in the character manager. Create them in the normal FG interface. Exported characters from there go wherever you want then to go.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Don't create characters in the character manager. Create them in the normal FG interface. Exported characters from there go wherever you want then to go.
    I saw a video from FG that used a roll tab in the character manager to generate characters using various preset rolling methods. I couldn't find the roll tab in the normal interface, so I tried out the character manager. But I prefer assigning stats., particularly to prominent characters, so I'll be using the normal FG interface from now on.

Blog Entries
    I can tell you from personal experience, the best process is to reach out to the publisher and see if they are interested (and confirm that they are not already doing something ). If the answer is yes, connect them and Smiteworks and let Smiteworks work out the legal arrangement. You also will need to register as a developer with Smiteworks and sign their legal agreement.

I would, it worry too much about it until you get a good start on the conversion.

I learned from scratch and was able to use the in game tools and make a module good enough to be in the store. I know, based on experienced developers, that if you want the absolute best result and access to all the reference manual features, you will need to learn for XML mark-up.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Thread Information