DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Hidden Dice Rolls

I have a suggestion for a new 'function'.

/hdie or Hidden Die. This would allow a player to roll a die and the result only be displayed to the DM, not even the player would know the result.

Uses for this would be for skills where the player can make the check but should not know the result. For example, appraise, disable device, certain spot and listen rolls. Now I know that the DM could simply make this roll but I like keeping as much in the hands of the player as possible. During face to face games, I would have my players either drop the die behind my screen or roll in a box. Also the DM won't have to know all the modifiers for the players.

There may be a way to do this. Type /w and then a space in the chat box but don't send. Roll the dice. You should get a little die symbol next to the /w . Hit enter. It works for regular chat, I haven't tried it with a whisper yet.

It's a nice idea. Adding a new dimension to privacy with dice rolls would be very handy. I don't think I would ever use it though, or even expect my players to use it. Once again, if everyone is roleplaying, Out-of-character (OOC) factors should not heavily influence In-Character (IC) actions.

I still think it would be alot easier if one could open multiple chat windows in order to organize locations. It's painful to read back through the logs where two different scenes are sharing the same chat log.

It works. I tested it last night. Start a whisper to the DM, put in at least one character of text, roll the dice in the chat box and then hit send. Voila! You do have to remember the die roll yourself, because it does not show up on the whisper line, if I remember correctly. The DM gets it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Craw
    It works. I tested it last night. Start a whisper to the DM, put in at least one character of text, roll the dice in the chat box and then hit send. Voila! You do have to remember the die roll yourself, because it does not show up on the whisper line, if I remember correctly. The DM gets it though.
    I think I saw you roll a die last night while we were playing... was that the die you tried to secretly roll? I remember this because it was just after the DM made a roll and well those were the only 2 rolls the whole night.

Actually, I made three. Did you see the result of any of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Craw
    Actually, I made three. Did you see the result of any of them?
    I only remember the one... and i could see what the die came up as, but it didnt pop up in the result didnt pop up in the chat area.

The one you saw was made without any text in the chat bar. There apparently has to be at least one character of text in the whisper.

Thread Information