DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Tokens available for potential FG Store modules

If I am doing a Castles & Crusades adventure (conversion) module and the C&C ruleset does not have a token I like, are there any other tokens distributed with Fantasy Grounds that are allowed to be used in that module?

For example, are the D&D 5e SRD tokens allowed or not because they are Open only for D&D 5e modules?

I will be trying to see if any of the art supplied to me can be made into a token via a tool (will google) but figured I'd ask in any event about what is allowed.

Blog Entries
    I didn't think any of the 5E SRD modules had any artwork with them.

In short though, you should be able to distribute anything you have a license to do so with. (Which probably means you do not have a license for the 5E tokens.)

Lookup TokenTool. It's real easy to use, has some pre-made borders.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

My understanding is that the only thing that is actually stored in an xml module is the link and not the actual token. If the person opening the module has the token, it will display. If the person does not, it will automatically be substituted by the generic letter token.

The main issue is that by definition, the 5e tokens aren't going to be available in the C&C ruleset even if the person owns them. The only sets of tokens that you can be sure that the user will own and can be displayed in the C&C ruleset are the C&C tokens and the generic letter tokens.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Roger that - forgot that the SRD tokens are actually just letters.
    I intended on trying the tokentool on the art I was given, was just wondering about options.

Blog Entries
    The others are correct, only the link XML is stored, not the token itself if you link it. If there are custom images in the PDF you can create a token from, cool, you can create a /tokens/ folder in your module and link directly to that. I did that for Gauntlets of Spiragos. In the library you'll see a tiny little token bag on the thumbnail to know you did it right.

Otherwise I go ahead an link the common letter tokens. Which I don't actually have to do... if you leave the NPCs blank, FG will automatically link a letter token to them when they're loaded onto the Combat Tracker.

That's why one of the bullet points in the Conversion Notes page that most FG modules have state that tokens are letter tokens but the GM is free to choose his own.

You can also link to the Creatures, Monsters or Characters tokens that come with Fantasy Grounds (created by Shockbolt). The way token modules work is that you don't even need to have them activated for module links to them to work. Still, it's worth mentioning in your module conversion notes.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    You can also link to the Creatures, Monsters or Characters tokens that come with Fantasy Grounds (created by Shockbolt). The way token modules work is that you don't even need to have them activated for module links to them to work. Still, it's worth mentioning in your module conversion notes.
    Great, wasn't aware of not needing to activate.
    Good tip on Conversion Notes info. Would it be a good thing to list in the notes, something like: "Verm" token created via MapTools from monster portrait. (Along with link to MapTools) Or is that too minor. Just wondering since the pdf doesn't come with tokens and map tool is an external utility that deserves credit?

Blog Entries
    I created some unique tokens for the 5e version of Gauntlet of Spiragos as well, and otherwise just defaulted to the SRD tokens for the monsters with no art or that were standard D&D monsters. Probably should have coordinated with Talyn and shared some tokens.

:-)
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    haha yeah I saw your tokens but didn't want to pester James with sharing them so I just made my own. No worries, it was good practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Are those the ones by Ray Gaustadnes? Yes, those work in C&C also.

One more thing, I cannot test because I own the "D&D Tokens Vol 1 and 2" which are usable in any ruleset. If the DM did NOT own these and I linked a token from them - does the NPC get an error or the letter "S" (for a skeleton, for example)?

Thread Information