FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    We usually recommend that people use the Steam version for Mac, because the Steam installer can install an entire Wine package which includes the FG DLC updater and application.

If you want to install on Mac directly, you will need to look at these threads:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...read.php?17399
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...read.php?16758

Cheers,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    EDIT: obsolete
    Last edited by LordEntrails; March 9th, 2017 at 20:38.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    We usually recommend that people use the Steam version for Mac, because the Steam installer can install an entire Wine package which includes the FG DLC updater and application.

If you want to install on Mac directly, you will need to look at these threads:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...read.php?17399
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...read.php?16758

Cheers,
    JPG
    Thanks, JPG. Well, I looked at it. Installing Wineskin is easy. Then I got to this part and my eyes bled...

Installing Fantasy Grounds II

Launch the Wineskin Winery.app from Applications (either from the Dock or Finder)
    Open Safari or another Web browser and download the FGWebInstall.exe from the Fantasy Grounds web site (Downloads page). Note the location of the downloaded file (on my systems its ~/Downloads)
    In Wineskin Winery, add a Wine engine by clicking the + symbol and select from the available Wine engine releases in the new dialog, click Download and Install. I have tested FGII with both Wine 1.5.13 - 1.5.21 (latest version 1.5.25 does not work). Select 1.5.21 unless you really prefer an earlier 1.5 release.
    Back in Wineskin Winery update the Wrapper version to Wineskin-2.5.8 (latest version)
    Once updated, click Create New Blank Wrapper.
    In the new dialog that opens, enter a name for the .app file we are about to create (note by default the .app file is created in ~/Applications/Wineskin/). Enter something like Fantasy Grounds II. Click OK.
    The wrapper file is now being created; you may see a couple of dialogs complaining that Mono and Gecko are not installed, prompting you to do so. You can safely click cancel for both of these. Mono implements a .NET 2.0 framework whilst Gecko is Wine's alternative to IE. Both of these components are not required to run FGII.
    Once completed, a dialog will appear stating the wrapper creation has finished. Click OK.
    Close the Wineskin Winery.app
    Navigate to ~/Applications/Wineskin/Fantasy Grounds II.app in Finder. Right Click the file and select 'Show Package Contents'.
    Open the Wineskin.app file contained within and click the Install Software button when the dialog appears.
    Click the 'Choose Setup Executable' button, navigate to the downloaded FGWebInstall.exe file you downloaded earlier and select it.
    The FGII EULA should appear. Read and then Click 'I Agree' to continue
    A second dialog window will open entitled Settings.
    Enter your license/upgrade key information into the appropriate fields - this is not mandatory step as not entering any key information will result in an Unregistered install.
    Make sure the 'Cross-platform compatibility mode for Linux and Mac' option is checked
    If you have a registered account on the FGII forums/store, click the Update button. A small username/password window will appear. On successful verification, you should see a list of FGII products appear in the Products window.
    Make sure the 'Live' option is selected under 'Mode' - this will install the latest general release of Fantasy Grounds II (currently 2.9.1)
    Click OK, the FGII updater window will open and it should automatically begin downloading the latest updates. The initial setup will take a few mins as all the base rulesets and latest binaries are downloaded.
    Once completed the Fantasy Grounds II Launcher window will appear.
    Close FGII.
    If for any reason, your licence did not take and you have an unregistered version installed. Simply click the Activate License button at the bottom of the Launcher window and re-enter your key. The update process will restart, when completed you should have a registered full/lite/ultimate version.
    If for any reason The launcher fails to load and you are presented with a Could not load base.xml error, click No and when prompted for the path to the executable select /Program Files/Fantasy Grounds II/FantasyGrounds.exe.
    Move the Fantasy Grounds II.app file from ~/Applications/Wineskin to /Applications (system wide Applications path)
    Optional: You can change the Fantasy Grounds II.app icon by right clicking and choosing Get Info or by opening the Wineskin.app and selecting Advanced - both enable you to change the .app icon from the default Wineskin icon.
    Thats it! Your good to go.

Way too complicated for my tastes. And I don't like supporting Steam because of its unethical DRM practices.

So, I guess Fantasy Grounds isn't an option for me, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickeaf View Post
    Thanks, JPG. Well, I looked at it. Installing Wineskin is easy. Then I got to this part and my eyes bled...
    That's why Moon Wizard said: "We usually recommend that people use the Steam version for Mac, because the Steam installer can install an entire Wine package which includes the FG DLC updater and application."

If you don't want to use Steam then there may be some eye bleeding upcoming...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    There are multiple options to running FG on a Mac. But if you don't want to use any of them, we will be sorry to not have you join us.

If you run into any problems trying the Wine install, you can always ask for help. We're a pretty helpful lot here.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Back when I was running on a mac, I used VMware Fusion. Costs a little more, but well worth it for the lack of eye-bleeding. Considering the costs of healthcare these days, you end up saving money.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

I use parallels. Works like a charm. Just like using windows (since I have windows 7 installed)

What is unethical about their drm anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    That's why Moon Wizard said: "We usually recommend that people use the Steam version for Mac, because the Steam installer can install an entire Wine package which includes the FG DLC updater and application."

If you don't want to use Steam then there may be some eye bleeding upcoming...
    Haha. Love it. You must be British? I can feel the dry humor. I'll see, maybe this weekend I'll try to tackle the install with Wine. I've looked at it twice so far and each time I just ended up cringing. I did BootCamp on my laptop, which I guess is a form of drive partition, though not on my home computer; that was a headache and a half, and I only rarely use it, but I should be able to switch over to Windows and try it out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    I use parallels. Works like a charm. Just like using windows (since I have windows 7 installed)

What is unethical about their drm anyway?
    I've tried Parallels. For the software I was using though (design intensive stuff like Revit and Maya), Parallels really didn't cut it. That why I did BootCamp, but then the pain of restarting and I only use the Windows side when absolutely necessary.

DRM is a long tangled topic, but I'll try to give my view concisely: It's great that companies want to cut down on piracy, but when their efforts start making it harder for me to play their game, which I paid for, I think I'll just play some other developers game. And CDProjektRed, a Polish game development company, is a good example of why you don't need DRM to avoid piracy. Any more than that and we'd be getting into a whooooole other tangent.

Thread Information