5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

more newb questions about using Fantasy Grounds.

I have watched some videos but I have some questions about how to best organize the story and encounters...

What is the best way to set up your own adventure? I created a Story Window, and using it I added my Elevator Pitch, and my 3 main points of interest. I also added my main NPCs, with links to their windows, which I created inside the Fantasy Grounds already. I added 3 maps. I'm getting ready to create encounters; how should I link them all together? should I have story text with links to encounters, or should I just have encounters dragged onto the map with flavor text? I usually ad-lib alot so my normal method is to use a 3x5 card and only put as much information down as will fill a 3x5 card. I do that for the main story-line, NPCs, and the 3 or 4 locations...Separate cards for treasures, traps, and clues the players need ( i don't place those in the encounters...i want the story to advance so they will find the clues wherever makes most sense based on where they go and who they talk to).

I was thinking I would link encounters just to the map? should i have a story window with the encounters dragged to it?

is there a way to label the story and encounters and NPCs I've created the way modules are labeled, so that I can sort out all of the extra stuff i included in this campaign, and only see MY stuff? like i can sort npcs right now to see only curse of strahd stuff, can i somehow create an overarching module title that would let me sort out my npcs, or my maps, or my story windows?'

what do you guys do?

Thanks for anyone who answers. I know I could look this up but I would rather be working on my dungeon for tomorrow and hope that some folks with some time on their hands can answer these questions .

Matt

For all relevant points of interest on the map, I create a story entry (one per room, and an additional one to mark traps / secret doors / etc). I then pin these to the map in the correct place - now everything is marked. If a room has an encounter, I create that, and drop the link for the encounter into the story entry. If there is treasure, I create a parcel, and drop the link for *that* into the story entry. I create traps as NPCs and drop the link for those into a story entry (or, for simple ones, I just drop a pin to the trap NPC onto the map).

Also, I create all these in a separate campaign, then export all of that as a module. I then open that module in the campaign with the PCs when I'm ready for it, when they're done, I can close it, and all the resources used go away.

Blog Entries
    It all depends on how much prep you like/need.

Definitely prep the encounters and link them to the map. If you have time and the desire link them also to the story (its very quick). Drag your story entries to the map too. Pins are awesome.

I Make a Table of Contents story entry, and put 0-0 at the beginning of it's name. It keeps it always on top. Then I link everything back to that in whatever order I want, in whatever way I want. Create Story Groups, and use the search function for different story points as well. Play around with it, and you will figure out which way works best for you.

Blog Entries
    Go download the attachment on post #1 here. I think it will answer your questions and probably some you didn't yet think of.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

HI meethos and welcome to FG. Apart from the link LordEntrails points to; it looks like you have bought the Curse of Strahd module. Does looking at how that is put together not answer your questions?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Meethos View Post
    is there a way to label the story and encounters and NPCs I've created the way modules are labeled, so that I can sort out all of the extra stuff i included in this campaign, and only see MY stuff? like i can sort npcs right now to see only curse of strahd stuff, can i somehow create an overarching module title that would let me sort out my npcs, or my maps, or my story windows?'
    These are called "groups" in FG. If you create a FG module as Andraax mentions the data for that module will automatically be in a group with the module name, unless you created groups within the campaign you exported the module from - in which case the original group names will be used.

If you're entering data directly into your gaming campaign then you can create groups there - and drag entries into the new group.

See this great overview video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhYLoo1uoc Editing groups are explained starting at 18:30.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information