Fantasy Grounds Merchandise
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Module Making Questions

Figure - I might have more, rather than making thread per (unless that's preferred)

OK - so let's say in a description it says, you see 3d4 patrons. Let's say I want to just automate that (it might be more complex in future) - I could make a table, but that would be more cumbersome than the DM rolling by hand.

Is there any way to include:
    1. A simple "roll" action/link in a story entry.
    2. A table that takes amount rolled and prints a message. Think like in C:
    printf("There are %u patrons in the room.", rollResult);
    ?

OR any other accepted ways to do such things?

Sounds like a "Random Encounter" might be a good solution for you, Var. Create just like a regular encounter, but you can put the dice roll in there to get the random number of them.

If it gets more complex than that, like say, a random encounter table, you can create the table and drop the random encounters into the table. When you do that, it outputs the result of the roll to the chat with a link to the random encounter, then the random encounter generates the number of the foes.
    Last edited by vodokar; February 23rd, 2017 at 06:46.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Yup, just tried it - I think this doesn't exist. I basically just wanted to have story-driven random die roll (could appear in chat) - the adding "text" part was just gravy.

I'd be happy if could do:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.0.1 Story Entry
    ----------------------
    Text...more text...
    Still more...
    Upon entering the room, you will see 2d4+2 guests milling about.
    Blah blah

[2d4+2] link/button -> click and rolls for you versus picking up the die and setting it up with modifiers.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, that functionality doesn't exist. Closest you can get is to link in a table. It's clunky, but it works. I have sometimes created tables just to generate a random number.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

You can sort of do something like this with a Story Template. A lot of work however just to insert a tandem number into a line of text.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    I suggest using the random number in encounters that Vodokar suggests and Story Template that Zacchaeus suggests.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You can sort of do something like this with a Story Template. A lot of work however just to insert a tandem number into a line of text.
    Yup, no ... I just wanted to "hand the DM" (me, since this is an old TSR module and cannot distribute free or otherwise) the dice right in the story entry so when the time comes, they can roll it like they would when playing from paper. So, it is way easier for the DM to move the pointer, grab the 4 sided dice, right click, then put 2 in mod window (not using 5e so no -+2 button) and throw the dice.

I was just hoping could do the equivalent of "embedding" a dice control in story like we do for character sheets etc. I knew that wasn't possible, was asking in case someone had a simpler-than dice collecting, modding and rolling (which is not hard - just wanted to be all fancy I'm over it now )

The best you can do is put the die string in a story entry, e.g. /die 3d4 Then copy/paste that to chat and press return. Not great, but might be a bit quicker for you.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Make it a story frame (Ctrl+3) and you can drag it to the chat input without the copy/paste. Just don't click the story frame or it will put it into the window for the players to see.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Thanks! Both of those last seem like it's very close to what I envisioned in effect if not implementation.

I'm at work, so can't test but seems like it would be smoother for a quick roll.

I posted this to consider how could be done or to inspire coding team to maybe add other paragraph types" in next revision (assuming it was a simple thing to do in a story vs a sheet) for fgu maybe.

The specific entry that spurred this is trivial... I don't need to roll 2d4 to tell them how many in common room - i can pick it out of my butt since it has no impact on the adventure - it is window dressing as these mocs are not even for interaction at this point. But still, the "what if" I did want to roll reared it's head.

Thread Information