DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Red Dragon Adventures: A Professional Storytelling Service

Disclaimer: Smiteworks does not endorse my service, but I was granted permission to post about it from Doug at Fantasy Grounds Support.

My name is Cavin DeJordy, and about a year and a half ago I started storytelling professionally. I have many years of experience running Dungeons & Dragons sessions, and the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop has made it possible for me to organize and host sessions for clients all over the world. It has been an amazing experience, and now I hope to share my services with the Fantasy Grounds 4E community.

You can read more about me and my service details, as well as book a consultation with me here: https://reddragonadventures.simplybook.me/v2/#

Thank you for your consideration, and continue to have fun with D&D 4E and Fantasy Grounds!

I guess I'm not clear what service you are providing? Are you a professional dm? Or something else?

Yes, I am a professional DM, but I also could work with you on other associated things. There is a much more detailed breakdown of what I can do for you if you follow the link.

am i reading your site right? you normally would charge $25 to consult someone on what RPG experience they want, which you are giving for free. But nowhere on your site does it mention what it will cost to play a game. In fact your site doesnt really tell what you do, are you making me a custom adventure for you to dm? are you making adventures for me to dm? are you even a dm or just a writer? do you find people writers? Nowhere on your site does it say that you are a DM for hire. So you post this as what you do but what do you do? I am super confused, you list things but not services and you dont tell us once what your services cost or entail other then that $25 that you arent charging.
    My services include D&D 3.5, 4th, 5th Edition:
    -Published Modules Storytelling (Adventurer's League, Campaign Books, etc.)
    -Custom Adventures
    -Development and Design of RPG Products
    -Fantasy Grounds Guidance and Workup (Creating fully functional Character Sheets, NPCs, or adapting modules)
    -Agency for other game systems (I would work with you to create an agreement so I could find you a storyteller service that would fit your needs.)

So the consultation is listed as a $25 value because my normal rates for sessions are $25/hr to run published modules. For the other services it is a bit more complicated, so that's why there is a consultation appointment. For example, lets say I helped you design a character and it took us 45 minutes to put it together. That would cost about $22.50. If you wanted me to design new content, we would work out an amount of time you would want me to work on those materials during the time in between sessions. This could be anything from rough notes to guide a more open style campaign, or fully structured module style content. It just depends on how much time you are willing to pay for.

It is also important to get to know you so I can understand your needs and expectations. Running published materials is relatively simple. Making a custom campaign or even a whole entire campaign setting requires more consultation time so that I can bring you a world that meets your expectations in mechanics, tone, and theme.

I think every GM in the world would love to get paid $25 an hour to run the game they love. Most do it for free as it is a hobby they enjoy. If you want people to consider paying you to run a game, you might want to utilize more specific advertising. Do you have a recorded session that prospective buyers can watch to see what $25 an hour gets? The term 'professional' is a bit vague in an industry that doesn't have set standards.

As for the other assets you are willing to create, do you have a portfolio or published material a buyer could look through to see the quality and style of your work?
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

These are great questions, and I wish I had more material to share. I really need to do a new recording of a session since I started doing the professional work. I had taken a couple of months off to pursue some writing/gaming projects (along with Winter stuff. Hauling firewood and doing snow removal is tough work.) I'll probably do a recording of a Module of the Week for D&D Adventurers League 5th Edition within the next week or so. I'll make sure to link that release to this topic. I do have a few sessions recorded on Twitch from when I first started running games with Fantays Grounds. They are pretty low quality compared to what I'm able to do now, but it would give you a base idea.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/15507851

As for published work, I admit I do not have a portfolio, but I have been writing for a few months now for imperium.news as Londala Pox. I have done both creative and technical writing in the past, and I believe I could deliver on a paid project. I will admit that I'm not a visual artist, so I wouldn't be doing my own art assets. I can provide text and story elements, as well as custom NPC and item design. I am currently working on a module for the Dungeon Master's Guild, and I intend on finishing that up soon after this marketing push for my services. As much as I'm proud to have gotten this far with my services, I still have a long way to go when it comes to attracting clients more widely.
    Last edited by Pox; February 21st, 2017 at 00:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Pox View Post
    I do have a few sessions recorded on Twitch from when I first started running games with Fantays Grounds. They are pretty low quality compared to what I'm able to do now, but it would give you a base idea.
    This is not a good idea. Out-of-date recordings will give a bad impression and do not portray what you are currently selling.

Here is what I suggest if you wish to pursue this:
    1. Record a current session and post it to YouTube.
    2. Make an original adventure pdf (short but sweet) and post it as Pay-What-You-Want on the Dungeon Masters Guild (DMsG).
    3. Locate an artist you can commission to do the artwork for the custom adventure (buyers will want you to provide the artwork for the adventure even if you aren't the artist).
    4. Make an FG module of the adventure and add it to the DMsG product.
    5. Write a small excerpt or short story introducing or leading up to the custom adventure and post it as Free on the DMsG (the price of Free gets more exposure than PWYW).
    6. Design a small example campaign world in only the most broad, rough sense and post it to the DMsG as a possible world the adventure could take place in.

This will create a published example of most of the things you are wishing to sell and will get you familiar with some of the legals involved. Also, this will allow people to freely preview your work.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll start working on this right away!

Blog Entries
    It wont be for everyone but I can see that there would be a market of middle aged players happy to each pay $25 to play and not have to prep. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Thread Information