STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
    You mean this sort of thing right?
    From the U1 module I was talking about. If this is it, will send email on others as I see em (if I see em)

"...
    This product has been created for use with Fantasy Grounds II, and was developed with the latest updates for Fantasy Grounds II; please update your installation accordingly. This product does not work with older versions of Fantasy Grounds, and requires the Castles & Crusades Ruleset.

This product was created for the Fantasy Grounds II software from SmiteWorks. For more information on Castle & Crusades products from Troll Lord Games visit their website at https://www.trolllord.com. This products is Copyright 2009, Troll Lord Games and SmiteWorks USA, LLC. Used with permission from Troll Lord Games. The products' format, programming code, and presentation is copyrighted by Troll Lord Games and SmiteWorks USA, LLC. Redistribution by print or by file is strictly prohibited.

Released on May 18, 2009

Designed for Fantasy Grounds version 2.9.9 and higher."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    Currently reading my TLG-bought Halfling Halls module at lunch at work... can't wait to see it up on my FG screen sometime soon
    OK OK! I'll submit it when I get home from work next week! Might take awhile for QA though. I submitted a Pathfinder module a couple weeks ago and James had 24 products to review before he got to that it, which hasn't happened yet. (That's awesome, though, since it means a bunch of DLC is about to hit!) I don't know what his current QA queue level is. I do want to double-check my maps before I submit to make sure I'm happy-ish with how they'll appear as a battlemap since that's not how they were originally drawn.

Oh... question for the CK's out there: I typically am of the opinion that the conversion author should be "invisible." However, for U1 it's built with the only official errata that exists: straight from me asking the author because no errata was ever published. So if @Varsuuk were to actually bother comparing things, he'll notice some difference and might be like "wtf Talyn, you idiot!?!" while those changes were actually intentional per the author. I had considered making a separate page or section in the reference manual with that errata in a Q&A format. Interested in that or just post the module with the changes and leave it alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    Quick question, based on comments about updating. Does the current U1 in the store even work with current FG? I ask because it didn't show up when scanned for C&C modules, only when searched for it by name.
    It "works" yeah but it's a hot mess, to put it mildly and the CK has to do a LOT of prep work before running it because several of the NPCs aren't built, none of the encounters, items, etc. were built...

It was the reason I signed on to remaster some of the C&C stuff to begin with. I came to FG after 5E was already a thing, so 5E's DLC is my personal minimum bar for quality of presentation.
    Last edited by Talyn; February 26th, 2017 at 16:33.

Blog Entries
    I'd put in the fixes and a small note on the conversion. IMO the change in medium requires it, especially as you shouldn't as a GM be expected to have a pdf or printed copy.

All the C&C modules require a lot of work to repare to a ready state as a CK. Standards were obviously different back in the day.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    I'd put in the fixes and a small note on the conversion. IMO the change in medium requires it, especially as you shouldn't as a GM be expected to have a pdf or printed copy.
    That's why I was planning on just releasing it with the changes made, because how many own the PDF and even if you did, are you going to pore over and compare them side by side, word by word?

There aren't many changes, some were simply that Mike had a template for stats and forgot to go back in and add the weapons he wanted. So we fixed that, and the monsters in question now have the weapons he decided on. The funniest (at least for my silly sense of humor) one is the Giant Spider encounter. U1 was originally playtested with OD&D (possibly before the C&C rules were finished). A C&C Giant Spider would TPK a first-level party. So it's changed to a Small Spider, because he said even the C&C Medium Spider would be too much.

From my perspective, I'd prefer the changes to be integrated into the module as a "finished" product.

Since it does exist in PDF and sometimes the errors are in the transcriber...(though... not likely with C&C editing examples I've seen!)- I think it pays to mention that corrections were made to PdF from TLG errata. If any of the changes are ones you may think would raise an eyebrow, then list that change so people know it is intentional and not an error. Imagine, there was a +2 sword as treasure and they meant +1 or +2 ONLY against the DemonSpider Yrchivious Blitherblats.

I wouldn't go to work of including orig in reference. Thanks for your work. Definitely take the time to get what you need right. I "rushed" only in regards to putting out when satisfied vs when satisfied AND done with U2-4. Since ai know I want U1, after that depends on too much to guess.

I'm curious now to see the "before" hot mess to appreciate the improvement. One thing though, as far as credit goes - if I did prebuy knowing will be updated - would whatever converter cut there is go to you? I fear it may not as it wasn't done by you. Unless you say it is otherwise, will wait- not like gonna use the current one anyhow, was just curiousity.

Blog Entries
    No, I don't get credit until I submit mine and it's processed onto the store, replacing the old one. But thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    I had considered making a separate page or section in the reference manual with that errata in a Q&A format. Interested in that or just post the module with the changes and leave it alone?
    Whatever you do, you must include some conversion notes that indicate at a high level what's been changed from the original product. Otherwise you will get people posting as to why the FG modules doesn't reflect the print/PDF product or getting confused if they're running from the print/PDF copy as well as the FG module.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    No, I don't get credit until I submit mine and it's processed onto the store, replacing the old one. But thanks anyway
    Glad I waited then.
    Actually, when we first posted back and forth couple weeks past and you mentioned you were remastering them, I assumed you orig-mastered them ;P So I nearly bought it then cos I know SW updates ya free. Then... I saw a squirrel and forgot.

Sometimes my mental issues are useful. I will wait until you submit it and it shows up. As I said, I have the pdf, can prep a lot before I be needing any .mod. I'm doing N1 anyhow first.
    My soon to be 10yo just rolled up 4 characters. Told him doing his backstory but ... Daddy is gonna play it old school and you will be level 1 ... alone (at least at start - if he grabs help along way, all the better) for his backstory modules. He may need to go to backstory 2 or 3 or 4. He makes it to 4... he survives, I ain't writting THAT many backstories. Plus there's the future therapy bills to consider.

Ah, btw - just got up to the Spider part on commute in. Perhaps they updated the PDF (I'd have hoped they supplied you with that!) because while still says "a giant spider drops" (paraphrasing) the stats are for a small spider. And even a "small" spider is giant in relation to Charlotte.

Thread Information