DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 12 First 1234 ... Last
    Again, the issue really isn't about having an official classic ruleset, whether it be C&C, a rebranded AD&D to OSRIC or whatever. That is one possible route, the one that it seems Smiteworks is pressing for, if they allow any change at all, but really doesn't address the potential we have and meet all possible needs.

Let's say we did get an official OSRIC ruleset; that doesn't help someone that prefers Basic Fantasy or something else. They would be locked out of the content.

Up until now, the official position has been 1) only to allow one module to support one ruleset 2) that ruleset had to be an official ruleset 3) the module being converted had to originally be made for that ruleset. 4) because of 1, 2 and 3, no support at all was allowed for community based rulesets.

That is why C&C users are so limited in modules that come their way. That is why there is no possibility for ever seeing an S&W module even though there are agreements in place with Frog God Games for other items. That is why Expeditious Retreat can not get any of their very well recieved classic modules published here, even though they really want to see that happen. Etc.

I have done the work to make all those things possible, but none of that will happen if Smiteworks can not be convinced to allow it.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

I mostly want to see modules that are usable as part of the OSR-style rulesets. I'm less concerned with official ruleset support for OSR but am hopeful that there can be some kind of middle ground established so that your idea, vodokar, to do C&C+ modules, becomes something more. I freely admit that the S&W ruleset would benefit from your idea. I would love to see all the FGG S&W stuff available for Fantasy Grounds but I know there isn't really a market for it but this would at least provide some support for the OSR community within FG.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Well, that hits to the heart of this thread.

The central questions are: 1) if we spent our time bringing you a classic style adventure module that worked with C&C and various other similar rulesets and Smiteworks allowed them to be published, would anyone have interest in buying them and 2) if we spent our time converting them to Pathfinder and/or 5e, would anyone have an interest in that.

No one expects they will sell the same as WotC or Paizo products. But, would there be a market for them at all. That is what Smiteworks and the community developers are trying to find out.

It's basically a chicken and egg issue. Smiteworks is assuming that there would be no interest in it. If there is, people need to speak up. If there isn't, it certainly doesn't make sense to have any of us spend time making a product no one wants. But, people need to speak up, either way.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Blog Entries
    I always buy content I like. I would buy AD&D modules or OSR modules or Swords and Wizardry modules, etc.

My main problem is time to run them. But I would buy them anyways.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    I dont buy a lot of content but yes I think that is a solid idea.
    A very valid question would be - should these multi-ruleset modules cost more? I think they should - maybe make them 10-15% more and pay that to the converter who is doing extra conversion work and might actually make it worth while...

Blog Entries
    Yeah if I could buy GDQ1-7 for example and use it with C&C I'd be all over that.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

But, those are TSR modules and thus, off limits.

There are tons of new material that has been written since then that is also extremely good and isn't off limits. But, it will never see the light of day if people do not speak up. It is said that the OSR has produced more material in the last 10 years than TSR ever published in their entire existence.
    Last edited by vodokar; February 18th, 2017 at 23:11.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

I'd be interested in any Old School products -- more so in rulesets than modules, though. I have a particular 30-year old campaign with players scattered all over that would love an AD&D ruleset, or OSRIC as a close 2nd. The nature of the campaign is that it's filled with homebrew content, and thus modules aren't as important. But C&C isn't close enough for the DM, so we need a ruleset more than anything if FG is to be a part of this campaign.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Where have you been Dr. Venture? The AD&D ruleset has been out since January. Get it here . And, I'm working on Basic Fantasy right now. BF is kind of a hybrid middle ground between C&C and AD&D. And Zhern is close to a release of Swords and Wizardry.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Thread Information