DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Request - Portable runtime client option for players

I have several people who want to play, and I bought this software to try and run a campaign because you have a _lot_ of licensed content...

Unfortunately some users do not have administrative access on their computers (work laptops / surface pro's).

Could you please release a build that is a portable runtime to execute on USB media for Ultimate users to provide to players as free clients that do not require windows installer / write access to the c drive / c:\users\username\appdata\roaming?

Thank you!

Nysthul, welcome to Fantasy Grounds. We are a friendly lot but I don't want to get your hopes up. I do not believe what you are requesting is possible under the current architecture. Fantasy grounds is too sophisticated to be an uninstalled client.

Maybe I don't understand how the client works, but looking at the way the data is stored in c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\fantasy grounds\ seems like it would be easy enough to have an INI file with the binaries instead of a registry only option
    so that you can have HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Fantasy Grounds\2.0\datadir point to a removable drive location that doesn't require Administrative access, and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Fantasy Grounds\2.0\InstallDir could be relative path to where you run FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe from and the updater / FantasyGrounds.exe could look for regkeys or fall through to an INI file in the local execution directory. (fall through would be assuming it's in non installed mode.

Since these would be for clients that are not licensed users, just players connected to a licensed Ultimate player you wouldn't need the LicenseKey / Password or other regkeys either I'd think.

Just something to think about. It would make life much easier for DMs trying to get a user up and running, just copy over the appdata folder and the exe files into a USB stick and let the players run it.
    (also save you guys some install download bandwidth charges too)

Anyway, thank you for looking at this request at least. I appreciate it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    Nysthul, welcome to Fantasy Grounds. We are a friendly lot but I don't want to get your hopes up. I do not believe what you are requesting is possible under the current architecture. Fantasy grounds is too sophisticated to be an uninstalled client.
    I dont think the current appengine is that sophisticated - it has two folder paths and some registry entries.
    That being said the current app engine probably doesnt have the option to use ini files.
    Performance wise it should run fine from a USB drive because it pretty much loads everything into memory on launch (engine, ruleset, extensions) and activation (for modules).

Thread Information