5E Character Create Playlist

Masked Tokens Still Visible?

Using the Pathfinder Ruleset and Enhanced Layers Extension.

When working on a map, I'm placing Tavern fluff on the bottom layer so that they're just there for scenery (Patrons, Waitresses, etc) but there are some tokens (just tokens, not NPCs) that I need to be able to move around so I had them on the top layer. I'm finding that even if the area is masked and I have the movable token visibility set to 'follow mask', they still show up to the players if I haven't unmasked the area yet - and it appears they are movable by the players.

If I place the tokens on the bottom layer, they don't show up under the mask - but I have to change to the bottom layer in order to move them around. I've tried putting them on the features layer and they show up as well, regardless of the visibility setting. The thing I don't like about having them on the bottom layer is that the grid is now on top of them and it looks strange.

What am I missing here or is this by design? I've watched the Enhanced Layers video and read the threads but I'm still not sure.

Thanks!

Jim

Blog Entries
    Masking only works on the bottom layer. It says it in the first post on the Enhanced Layers Extension thread.

Ok - Thank you. That's what I figured. So I just need to get used to having the movable tokens under the grid?

From the Extension thread: "As masking only works on the base layer, anything that the GM wants to mask should be put on the base layer - tokens that are used for mapping, etc.. If you want to hide NPC tokens don't put them on the base layer, put them on the top layer and use the individual token "visibility" setting (or the visibility setting for the NPC in the combat tracker) to hide/reveal the token to the players."

You will need to put any PC/NPC tokens on the top layer so that players can interact with them. You will need to manually change visibility of tokens as the visibility will not sync with the map.

If you want more info this has been very recently discussed in the extension thread.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'd also recommend you read through the first two posts of the extension thread and understand the limitations/gotchas of the extension.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ok - THAT'S the problem. Changing the visibility didn't work. I read thru all the posts and theoretically it SHOULD have worked when I set the visibility - but didn't. They still show above the masked area. :/

Do not set the visibility to mask sensitive, as there isn't a mask on the middle or top layer, that's why that won't work. Set visibility to off or on via the right-click menu or if they're on the combat tracker via the eye icon on the CT.
    Last edited by Trenloe; February 12th, 2017 at 14:14.

Ah-HA! Thank you. Now that makes sense.

Thread Information