5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Is there a way to create two or more damage options per weapon?

With the versatile and two handed fight options changing the amount of damage a weapon does it would be nice it we could have more than one damage field per weapon. I've been making second versions of the weapon, but then it can't be linked back to the players handbook. Also if it is something with ammo you have to remember to go click off the ammo on the other version of the weapon. Now with the really useful feature of equipped versus carried you can show what our current options are in combat mode, but if you are the equipped with a damage variant flavor and not the one with ammo listed you have to cycle through the preparation mode to see the ammo to tick off. When using interaction correctly in 5e the preparation and combat modes in actions are really handy to get players to remember their current "configuration".

Instead of creating a new weapon in the actions tab make a copy of the weapon in items; give it the alternative damage for using it two handed or whatever and reduce the weight to 0, change the name to Longsword (two handed) or whatever. Now drag it into the player's inventory and equip it. You'll now have a properly linked to the PHB weapon which has the damage you want and doesn't take up inventory room.

For ammo split the amount the player has between the two weapons, rather than having it all on the one.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks. That gets me the PHB entry, but all the other problems persist. Right now my groups Rogue has two daggers, so splitting the ammo isn't very effective. He two weapon fights and depending on the situation his dagger or his short sword is his primary.

I figured there wouldn't be an elegant solution, but it never hurts to ask. I guess it just wasn't setup to handle 5e's concept of multiple categories of damage depending on application. The equip, carry, and not carried feature was a big improvement. Hopefully, someday the developers will see something as simple as multiple damage properties as something they want to tackle. �� Since it isn't really automated (good thing), it would just be adding the ability to have more than one damage record to items.

We aren't complaining. Without FG we wouldn't be gaming. We live in four different cities and are all playing together again for the first time since 1985!

I'm confused.

If the rogue only has two daggers then he'll only need one entry for his daggers (thrown) with two ammo slots. So there will be no need to have any kind of ammo split.

Not sure why he would need to change his main and offhand weapons either. At any rate to cover all the possibilities it only needs 5 total entries; one for shortsword main hand and one for dagger main hand and two others for shortsword off and dagger off. A single fifth entry will cover the thrown dagger and ammo. Theoretically you could do it with three entries and create an effect to cover the lower damage for the offhand weapon (DMG: -2 or whatever).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

You are correct. We are using five entries to cover all the rogue cases just like you describe. I'm trying to remember how we ran into an ammo tracking issue now since the roll to hit expends ammo and not the damage roll. Hmmm.

So I'm running into this issue as well. I'd like to have 2 different damage values for a quarterstaff (i.e. to utilize the versatile property). However, when I drag a 2nd quarterstaff link from the PHB to the inventory tab, all it does is add a '2' to the value of quarterstaves, rather than giving me two lines of quarterstaves so I can 'zero out' the weight of the 2nd one. This also only gives me one quarterstaff option in the actions tab.
    What am I missing here?

Add a second line to the existing quarterstaff

I ran into the same problem but for different reasons. Playing AD&D and it has damage for small/medium and then large for most weapons. I had to hack the ruleset to cope with it. Far as I could tell there was no way to do it within the parameters of the 5e ruleset at this time other than the kludges already mentioned.

Next thing on the list, multiple ammo tracking for each weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by DimeLes View Post
    So I'm running into this issue as well. I'd like to have 2 different damage values for a quarterstaff (i.e. to utilize the versatile property). However, when I drag a 2nd quarterstaff link from the PHB to the inventory tab, all it does is add a '2' to the value of quarterstaves, rather than giving me two lines of quarterstaves so I can 'zero out' the weight of the 2nd one. This also only gives me one quarterstaff option in the actions tab.
    What am I missing here?
    Doesn't post #2 answer your question? The thing is not to drag in a second exact same weapon but to copy the weapon in items (big ITEMS button on the right hand side) first and edit it there before dragging into the inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilram the Grey View Post
    You are correct. We are using five entries to cover all the rogue cases just like you describe. I'm trying to remember how we ran into an ammo tracking issue now since the roll to hit expends ammo and not the damage roll. Hmmm.
    this makes sense to me though...if i throw a dagger at you i lose the dagger regardless of if it hits or not..same thing with anything ranged, i shoot an arrow or bullet and i expend that round regardless if it hits or not

Thread Information