FG Spreadshirt Swag

Is There Such A Thing As TOO Many Tokens?

I'm picking up Token Packs from Darkwoulfe and Devin Night (the separate .png versions so that it's easier to share with players for things such as familiars and dancing weapons, not the module versions).

It seems that more packs I put under the tokens section of FG, the slower my campaigns load. I'd like to have them available for on-the-fly but am I reaching a point that it's just too much to read when the campaign loads? Is it better to leave them out of the Tokens paths and just copy over what I need when I need it? Will they update that way while the campaign is loaded?

Thanks!

Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JHale1966 View Post
    I'm picking up Token Packs from Darkwoulfe and Devin Night (the separate .png versions so that it's easier to share with players for things such as familiars and dancing weapons, not the module versions).

It seems that more packs I put under the tokens section of FG, the slower my campaigns load. I'd like to have them available for on-the-fly but am I reaching a point that it's just too much to read when the campaign loads? Is it better to leave them out of the Tokens paths and just copy over what I need when I need it? Will they update that way while the campaign is loaded?

Thanks!

Jim
    Absolutely there is a thing called too many tokens.
    Copy over what you need whenever possible.
    More than around 1000 will bog most systems down.

Indeed, don't share tokens wholesale. Ideally don't share any tokens at all. Just allocate one yourself to any such beasties.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I found that resizing token sets (they are often 400x400 pixels or larger, which is at least 4x larger than the 100 pixel squares I frequently use) will improve your performance by a great, great deal. 200kb tokens are idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Indeed, don't share tokens wholesale. Ideally don't share any tokens at all. Just allocate one yourself to any such beasties.
    I meant having them in the shared folder - not actually SHARING them (for free kinda thing).

That's what I was talking about as well. Don't put them in your shared folder. Tokens are really for DM use and although you can share them with your payers my advice is don't.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    This is an area where the current version of FG doesn't handle it well. It wasn't designed for having all the tokens that we have available, and was built instead to load them all into memory at campaign launch so that they would be fast to reference during the game. That worked great when you had 100 or less tokens but falls apart quickly when you start getting into several hundred or thousands of tokens. We have temporarily addressed this issue by releasing tokens into token pack modules so that you can deactivate batches of tokens when they are not in use.

Thread Information