DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Clarification, the 4-standard package +1 additional on steam for the same price isn't AFAIK 5 total licenses. You get one license for yourself and 3 to share with friends.

Additional note if you already have a FG license activated in Steam you can't buy this package.
    ...I didn't know about the activated license and multiple purchases conditions on steam but was just counting # of licenses and cost...
    A 4-license discounted package from steam +1 additional standard license is pretty much the same price as 1-Ultimate license.

I do see the overall value in it as an unlimited number of people can play for free with one ultimate-gm but at the same time as I mentioned GMs are the ones who already shoulder the larger share of things.

I know this probably sounds like I'm disgruntled when really I'm not. I own the hardcovers and have no qualms buying additional electronic versions and with the functionality of FG backing it up I do think it's money well spent and unquestionably time saved...and it's very cool.

I just think there has to be a better way to explain the options and costs because if people don't (like I did not in the beginning) take the time to understand it all, or figure it out quickly and easily once they are here, then within 2-clicks to the cart a ultimate license and complete set of 5e is $465 total and the 3rd click is going to be on the [x].

Anyway, I won't belabor the point further I think everyone gets it I just wanted to give my thoughts on the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobey View Post
    ...I didn't know about the activated license and multiple purchases conditions on steam but was just counting # of licenses and cost...
    A 4-license discounted package from steam +1 additional standard license is pretty much the same price as 1-Ultimate license.

I do see the overall value in it as an unlimited number of people can play for free with one ultimate-gm but at the same time as I mentioned GMs are the ones who already shoulder the larger share of things.
    Some groups have "rotating" GMs - this would be a better option for them than one person getting Ultimate and the rest playing with demos (because then, only the one person could be the GM).

Yes I get that as well though really in my opinion that's sort of the confusing overarching catch because now if you have a group of dedicated players they need to figure out a bunch of what-ifs and who's and it only gets more complicated and expensive and ends up almost separating people over time.

As soon as someone else wants to GM in a dedicated group either the "free" option for the rest disappears...or I guess the new GM could just decide to pony up another $150-ultimate because at that point unless you have a group of 7-8 people it would have been far more flexible and practical for everyone to just go standard in the beginning. And really if you have 7-8 dedicated people to start with odds are 1-2 others at some point will want to try GMing. And GMs are what make it all work so why put even more of a burden on them for doing it.

Which brings me back to my original point of the $40-standard and free/cheaper options not really being be free or cheaper and makes this a lot more confusing instead of flexible and that's got to cut into the bottom line as people walk away instead.
    Last edited by Kobey; February 3rd, 2017 at 20:51.

Blog Entries
    In the Age of Steam and DLC the Ultimate does indeed present at first glance as something more.
    The Ultimate License predated FGs appearance on Steam and I havent as yet thought of another name that cant similarly be mistaken except perhaps something like GM License but that is incorrect on more levels because the Full License is also a GM license, or Group License which is also incorrect or misleading because the license (or more accurately the GM Role) cannot be shared amongst the group...
    One day someone will hit the nail on the head...

Blog Entries
    Most of my regular group have Ultimate Licenses. We all GM at various times and we all GM for other people too.
    It started with one Ultimate though.

Blog Entries
    If someone only wants to DM every once and a while, they can just do an ultimate subscription. 2 months is $20. If everyone does the standard license then you can swap DM at will and the group buy makes it cheaper (I thought the price was 4 licenses for the price of 3 but I have not looked recently). The only benefits to having a license if you do not plan on being a DM is to be able,to join other games where the DM does not have the Ultimate license and being able to own and access DLC that you can use when not connected to the DM.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

One thing to possibly consider if you do have a group and several of you would like to DM is to take out a monthly subscription. That person can then DM for the month (or more) and when someone else wants to do the DMing is cancel the subscription and have the new DM take out a subscription and so on.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I do agree all of those options work and can be of use to a certain degree in certain situations. But the fundamental disconnect of dedicated players and "free only with an ultimate-gm" remains. It's not free...the GM pays so they do not have too.

dang...It's really that simple...and that makes for a horrible sales pitch...and now I see why the water got muddied as it were. A demo will not cut it and you need to compete against other free stuff and GMs are used to taking the hit. So we build our libraries like we always do and get people show up to play...which they won't if there is a cover charge to get in.

I concede the vast majority of my arguments...I still say there has to be a better way to "explain the options" it but I finally understand why the model exists the way it does.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Hey Kobey - what game systems do you play/run? Have you talked your group into trying it with FG yet?
    A lot of us have been around together a long time but the past...decade(geeze)...our gaming has been more random online stuff where we could fit it in and if someone wasn't there meh...

5e has me itching for the most part. But fact is time and distance are the obstacles. I have no doubt we'd all get hooked right back in but keeping it going is another matter.

After a lot of time watching far too many other people play and tutorials
    my solution or attempt will be FG in a face to face day to start.

Figure dual monitors one facing me one facing them running a DM and Player respectivly. Sort of a hybrid PnP and VTT with Phandelver and player core rules. That should do it.

FG standard for myself will get that done. Then depending on how things go I will probably end up going Ultimate so they can go free.

There could be 6 of us though I can easily see that becoming 10 if kids get involved at times but realistically I'd probably run seperate campaigns with split groups if thats how it goes.

Thread Information