Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Wasting my life away?

That is for the last 13 months. And yes, I have had some fun

On an odd note, I have around 210 hours played as the GM, another 40 or so as a player, and the remaining 450 is prep time (quite a bit of it idle, probably). Sort of a bummer that it takes 2x as long to prepare as it does to play it out. Maybe I am doing it wrong

So share your sad tales of time well or misspent.

I look at it another way. I spent over 20 years without being able to play. That was the true waste.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Blog Entries
    Well, I wouldn't consider 2:1 a bad/unusual ratio. When it comes to putting together a technical class, it's 8:1!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Prep vs game time will depend on how much you like to prep and how familiar you are with your prep methods.
    I think a lot of Gms would spend 1 to 2x the amount of game time in prep time.

4665 hours in 3 years here
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I guess it only tracks time if steam is logged in? I'm showing 18 hours, which is only about 2 weeks worth on a slow month, not the year and half I've been working with FG's. Prep time for my campaign is about 3:1. I'm very wordy when typing up my build. Map building can real slow things down too and apparently my dungeons are not very small. I guess my players are used to exploring broom closets.

I don't look at it as a waste at all. For I spend most of my prep time distracted, side tracked, or researching. I think that is what makes me such a great dm.

Now for anyone doing the following that may be a waste.

VR Gaming on I9 9900K RTX 3090 ( 4k on the go on I7 6700HQ 965M )
    Fantasy Grounds Ultimate in HD
    member_gqwebb

Prep light and rely on your improvisational skills. Use Importers and other extensions to aid in the the more technical prep but the 'story' prep in my opinion should always remain fluid as it's the most mutable.

I spend less on prep per session than I spend world building which I secret away during down time as the ideas hit me. I don't spend time spinning on a chair thinking of things to put in my world. Carry a mini notebook or something with you, a scratch pad of sorts to jot these things down for you to later quickly add to your lore collection. This in all makes my world building occur as naturally as a water-cooler break so it doesn't consume much; but again it draws heavily on your own improvisational skills to invent names/places on the fly, and recall them for consistency as needed during the actual setting.

It's also more moody so if you're a bit stressed or feel pressured, you loose some GM mojo where if you had a more rigid prep structure, would prevent.

This is at least how I work my way around the problem of 'endless prep'. It works great for my groups.

Blog Entries
    I waaaay over prep... 4:1

Thread Information