DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

With the new official Pathfinder content coming

In the past the reason for D&D 5 getting the nice drag & drop features for character creation was that it was officially licensed. Does that mean with the new official Pathfinder content coming that we will be able to enjoy the same enhanced character sheet? While, yes, I could force my players to use PCgen (which isn't handling 4k screens very well) or Hero Lab (which is crazy expensive if you play many different systems) I would like to be able to skip that and work with a new player and help them with their creation within FG. If that isn't on the road map, what about support for HeroSheets (which appears like it will generate less phone/skype calls to explain)?

Blog Entries
    I believe that the pathfinder character creation options are too complex... There will be some improvements but not massive ones... I think...

darthbayne, hero lab is expensive because PF character generation is ridiculously complicated. It is completely unreasonable to expect FG, which focuses on the tabletop, to duplicate the functionality in hero lab. That is not FG's specialization, nor should it be.

So, if it isn't going to duplicate hero lab, then how about something less you would be tempted to ask. Well, where do you stop? No matter where SW draws the cut-off line, people will bitch. It is better to let the programs that specialize on character generation handle that and bring your character into FG. If you don't want to use them, then do it the old-fashioned way and manually make the character.

SW is doing some basic rules improvement, and none of us know what that is yet (or at least I don't), but it won't be automatic character generation. I asked the same question a while back.

We are in the middle of re-writting our UI to use JavaFX from swing for 4k monitors.

Nylanfs means PCGen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    PF character generation is ridiculously complicated
    Exactly what's so complicated about Pathfinder character generation?

Speaking from PCGen's perspective, every book adds exceptions to the system. Plus there are MANY more options than 5e (so far).

Quote Originally Posted by Full Bleed View Post
    Exactly what's so complicated about Pathfinder character generation?
    I lost count of how many character classes there are and most of those have a half dozen or more archetypes. Then there are a butt ton of prestige classes.

Like I said, the sheer number of add-Ons to hero lab answers your question.

Blog Entries
    They are doing some minor tweaks to the ruleset itself but 5E level drag-and-drop character creation was taken off the table before it was even placed on the table. It's just too complicated and complex for Pathfinder with all the various character options and all the very specific mechanics that each book added. They'd rather Fantasy Grounds was the place to play the game, not create the characters.

And as soon as WotC starts adding more official character options, expect the drag-and-drop to start failing for 5E too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Speaking from PCGen's perspective, every book adds exceptions to the system. Plus there are MANY more options than 5e (so far).
    I still can't tow the line with regard to "Pathfinder character creation is too complex to get 5e character creation treatment" no matter how many times it's repeated.

Quantity of content does not equate "complexity" of character creation in my book.

I doubt that anyone would expect FG to cover every single splat/expansion book that's come out from the get go.

Start with CORE. Then APG. Etc. Build functionality as new products are introduced and require it. Not like they won't be *charging* for access to those materials as they support them.

If anything, the sheer amount of material available with regard to Pathfinder in their PRD should incentivize that FG has advanced and convenient features (like 5e). I really don't see the value in re-purchasing glorified "native" pdf's of pre-existing content if it's not going to actively assist in employing that content beyond what we can already do with this tool.

My biggest fear with the FG Pathfinder implementation is that it's simply going to be focused on content delivery instead of game management/playability. For me, that's the least important thing.

Thread Information