STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    I own (somewhere) the advenaced box set, ultimate powers and I think couple modules relating to xmen/avengers... not 100% sure on last two. I bought them mainly because one of the players in longrunning AD&D campaign offered to run a Wild Cards universe game using those rules. So we all rolled up "Aces" and went to town. It gave me a break to write when our other GM wasn't running something.

Game was fun but not my thing in both mileu (i love READING scripted comics however ;p) and rules - too much subjectivenes for my anal nature, I guess.

But I looked and downloaded the advanced box to compare. looked the same - although saw had "Reduced" appended, no clue what meant as it included all the artwork (far as I can remember.)

I find it odd (and perhaps inspiring) that Marvel is not interested in killing it for the artwork/depictions and that WotC doesn't get involved if only for the constant TSR references.

Man, I miss TSR.

Quote Originally Posted by vodokar View Post
    They have the actual pdfs. I agree that if someone had the rights to issue a C&D and did, it would have to be complied with; what I am arguing is that either no company does or they just don't care anymore. That is the only explanation as to why a site like that could have remained up for so long. It isn't as if they are hiding. It's top of the list on a google search.
    My understanding of this is that if they haven't issued a C&D or protected their copyright in nearly two decades, they've effectively lost it anyway. Isn't the idea of all those "mean, nasty C&D's to fans" really a result of an IP owner being *required* to protect their copyright consistently, because otherwise they'll forfeit it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
    My understanding of this is that if they haven't issued a C&D or protected their copyright in nearly two decades, they've effectively lost it anyway. Isn't the idea of all those "mean, nasty C&D's to fans" really a result of an IP owner being *required* to protect their copyright consistently, because otherwise they'll forfeit it?
    No. Copyright can survive your death - and your ability to actively protect it.

I was confusing trademark with copyright. Marvel isn't planning on losing that anytime soon, either. My bad.

How hard would it be to go into the OSRIC ruleset and modify it to match the lamentations of the flame princess rules? I'm not a coder, and so far I've failed the last few times I went and tried to modify the names of the saves in the main character sheet. I haven't even begun to tinker with the armor class... If anyone can give me a hand that would be great. ALL i want to do is rename the saves and change THACO to ascending AC.

Blog Entries
    I have a fair amount of LotFP and S&W modules I would love a ruleset to run them with. I can use More Core, but it does lack some of the automation that makes running adventures easier for both players and the DM. I hope that something eventually comes out for the OSR rulesets.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    I have a fair amount of LotFP and S&W modules I would love a ruleset to run them with. I can use More Core, but it does lack some of the automation that makes running adventures easier for both players and the DM. I hope that something eventually comes out for the OSR rulesets.
    The OSRIC ruleset is dated and not complete.
    There are now 4 excellent old school rulesets being Castles & Crusades, DCCRPG, vodokars 1E and celestians 1E/2E.
    C&C already does ASC armour class.
    Im not sure what DCC uses.
    vodokars 1E converst ASC to DESC so Im sure an extension could be made to reverse that.

Swords & Wizardry by zhern may see the light of day still (Im rooting for ya zhern!).

From my perspective Id like to see a B/X or BECMI conversion before seeing another OSR set

Oh - and while MoreCore does lack the automation of more advanced sets there is a /thac0 roll which will tell you what AC you succeeded at hitting and the AC of your target is visible to the GM in the CT so its very easy to declare a hit or miss from that - huzzah

Blog Entries
    LoFP does ascending AC. And the split saving throws from the original D&D style. No THAC0. :-)

DCC is built on the 5e ruleset and the actual rules are disguised D20 with a heavy weird / heroic fantasy and old school race = class layered on top.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    LoFP does ascending AC. And the split saving throws from the original D&D style. No THAC0. :-)

DCC is built on the 5e ruleset and the actual rules are disguised D20 with a heavy weird / heroic fantasy and old school race = class layered on top.
    Muddied waters - sorry - the /thac0 was just in relation to OSR in general.

For ASC AC you can use the attack strings. It wont declare the hit the GM is still required to adjudicate but there is no difficult math

Attachment 20931

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post

Oh - and while MoreCore does lack the automation of more advanced sets there is a /thac0 roll which will tell you what AC you succeeded at hitting and the AC of your target is visible to the GM in the CT so its very easy to declare a hit or miss from that - huzzah
    I actually kept the ascending AC functions in the 5E ruleset for the AD&D Core ruleset. I just tweak bonuses to hit based on THACO (just calc bab) and then display what players expect (convert ascending AC to decending) and everything works. It's much easier than replacing it for descending AC.

The results end up being the same and everyone sees what they expect to see.

The biggest obstacle for old school stuff is content for me at least. I really wish I could put stuff on DMsguild for others to have/use but until they allow non-5E stuff... meh. I don't get it, it's free money.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information