STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last

Some others:
    Silent Legions, Godbound, Scarlet Heroes, Spears of Destiny, and Stars Without Number. Stars Without Number is getting a 2nd edition latter this years

Some other classics that weren't mentioned:
    Top Secret (Note: The old classic version had 2 editions. Wrestling chart & value, and flamethrower all got pulled in 2nd version and some other stuff was added.)
    Top Secret S.I.
    Gangbusters
    Star Frontiers/ Knight Hawks
    Time Master and similar games that use the Pacesetter system like Star Ace, Rotworld, etc.
    Villains & Vigilantes

Some additional info on some others already mentioned :

Starships and Spacemen has 2 different editions. The 2e version is compatible with LL, Mutant Future, and Apes. The older 1st edition isn't and is a different system. Goblinoid Games sell both. The 2e version is the more popular one..

Boot Hill had the old classic edition and a newer edition that came out years latter, which had changes to the system and is very hard to find.

Metamorphosis Alpha has had different editions and they have major changes in them in the way the game works.

Gamma World had different editions and the system is very different on the version being used. 1st & 2nd were compatible and the major changes in 2nd got introduced in 1st edition module. 3rd used a different system for resolution. and had skills, and talents. 4th was made to be compatible with AD&D 2e. Other latter editions aren't compatible at all with any older version.

Mutant Future is a retroclone of old 1st & 2nd Gamma World. Most people use that who can't get an older copy Gamma World and it has free version no-art version, a lot of support from various companies. This is the closest game to old Gamma World.

OSRIC did have a Fantasy Grounds version for and older version of Fantasy Grounds that doesn't work well in the new version of FG, due to changes, and and some modules. So it might be possible to use some of the old version on in making a new one.

Definitely Star Frontiers!

DM-Kevin - Current campaign running: D&D 5.0 Tomb of Annihilation -

It's pretty pointless to list games that have been out of print for eons. Players can't play and developers can't develop when they don't have access to the rules of the game. Even if a person here or there still has their old copy, it doesn't make sense to develop something that the majority could not play even if they wanted to due to not having access to the rulebooks, when there are so many good games already on our list which are available and getting played.

Here is one old one that is still going strong and has been in the public domain for years. Marvel Superheroes RPG.

There is a website devoted to it that has been up for about the last 16 years continuously that pretty much has every resource and adventure that was ever put out for the game for free download. In other words, while it was published by TSR, (much like Metamorphasis Alpha was owned by it's author even though TSR helped him publish it), it isn't owned by WOTC and was given to the public domain by the author of the game, as I understand it. It's still a relevant game and is still available, whereas many of the games mentioned are not.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Definitely Star Frontiers! Would also like to see Marvel Super Heroes and DC heroes from the 80s

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vodokar View Post
    It's pretty pointless to list games that have been out of print for eons. Players can't play and developers can't develop when they don't have access to the rules of the game. Even if a person here or there still has their old copy, it doesn't make sense to develop something that the majority could not play even if they wanted to due to not having access to the rulebooks, when there are so many good games already on our list which are available and getting played.

Here is one old one that is still going strong and has been in the public domain for years. Marvel Superheroes RPG.

There is a website devoted to it that has been up for about the last 16 years continuously that pretty much has every resource and adventure that was ever put out for the game for free download. In other words, while it was published by TSR, (much like Metamorphasis Alpha was owned by it's author even though TSR helped him publish it), it isn't owned by WOTC and was given to the public domain by the author of the game, as I understand it. It's still a relevant game and is still available, whereas many of the games mentioned are not.
    Whilst there is a chunk of fan generated material available for MSH I dont think anything official is in the PD. The Marvel brand is a very tightly held one!

https://classicmarvelforever.com/cms/

This web site has been up continuously for 17 years without hassle from either Marvel or WOTC. It contains not only pdf's of all the rulebooks, but also every official adventure ever published for the game.

While I have been unable to find proof as to how they can do this; any reasonable person would assume that this is because the property was not ever owned by TSR, but retained by the author, and thus never passed to WOTC/HASBRO and that the author allows this. And while Marvel certainly would have rights here, I don't think they care that a game exists that is giving them free publicity.
    Last edited by vodokar; February 3rd, 2017 at 05:36.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vodokar View Post
    https://classicmarvelforever.com/cms/

This web site has been up continuously for 17 years without hassle from either Marvel or WOTC. It contains not only pdf's of all the rulebooks, but also every official adventure ever published for the game.

While I have been able to find proof as to how they can do this; any reasonable person would assume that this is because the property was not ever owned by TSR, but retained by the author, and thus never passed to WOTC/HASBRO and that the author allows this. And while Marvel certainly would have rights here, I don't think they care that a game exists that is giving them free publicity.
    I'm not a big fan of the genre, but that looks like an awesome site for anyone who is.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Precisely, and why I'm arguing, from the "standpoint of a reasonable man" that this is public domain because there is no way that the website could have remained up and running continuously for 17 years without being served a cease and desist or worse, if it wasn't legit. If I could find it, so could WOTC and they most assuredly would have caused it to be taken down years ago if they had legal rights to.

What that means for us is that any and all of that material is usable with no strings attached. And believe me, even to this day, there are lot's of fans of that game.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Blog Entries
    The fact it exists does not make it PD. No where on the site do they claim any thing about PD (or anything else) they simply state they are making resources for a no longer published game available. I couldnt see any PDFs on the site but if they did and they were issued a C&D they would have no choice but to comply. If there is only text and the text is not verbatim from the books they could argue mechanics. For it to be PD it must explicitly be stated that it is PD.

They have the actual pdfs. I agree that if someone had the rights to issue a C&D and did, it would have to be complied with; what I am arguing is that either no company does or they just don't care anymore. That is the only explanation as to why a site like that could have remained up for so long. It isn't as if they are hiding. It's top of the list on a google search.

Again, for us, it just means that if a community ruleset were made, people could go download whatever they wanted from there. I'm not arguing that we should be involved in distributing it.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Thread Information