5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Firs time with FG and Lost Mine of Phandelver. Do I need more stuff to start?

Hi FG experts,

This is my first post here. I've never used a VTT before.

I'm DMing the Lost Mine of Phandelver module, playing with my friends in real life around a table (we are not using the pre-generated characters though, my player have created their own adventurers and they are level 3 now. They are "standard" characters, either Elf or Human, and are Fighters, wizard, cleric, rogue and ranger).

With the current situation in France, we can't meet together anymore and I'm considering continuing our campaign remotely with FG (seems to be better than Roll20).

I'm planning to purchase a monthly subscription ($10) for the Ultimate FG Unity (Unity version to get benefit of the dynamic lighting) and buy the Lost Mine of Phandelver module ($15), while my players will use the free demo version of FG Unity.

Do I need something more to start?

I'm assuming that the monsters needed for the module are part of the LMOP package and I don't need to purchase the Monster Manual. And I'm assuming that the ruleset is coming with the LMOP package too so I don't know if I need the PHB though (especially given the fact that my players' races & classes are from the SRD)?

Are my assumptions correct?

Thank you

Please keep in mind that FG Unity is in Beta at this stage - you will have issues using it (errors, slowdowns, disconnections, etc.). If you want a smoother experience I would recommend using FG Classic.

Lost Mine of Phandelver has all the creatures etc. from that product included.

The "ruleset" comes with your FG license. But this is just the framework to play, there is no data - although you can enter data manually. I'd recommend you get the PHB though, as this will be much more efficient.

More info available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...eed-to-play-5e
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you for your prompt answer and the advices. I'll consider purchasing the PHB then and I'll check the link you've provided.

Regarding the Unity version, it sounds this is the one needed for dynamic lighting, right? That's a cool feature... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by christophe View Post
    Regarding the Unity version, it sounds this is the one needed for dynamic lighting, right? That's a cool feature... :-)
    Yes, you need FG Unity for the dynamic lighting. Yes, it's cool. But you may not think so if you have issues while playing because it is a beta test - this product is not the final product, it is in testing with known issues. If you're fine with having your session interrupted with errors, slow performance, disconnections, etc. then go for it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Wisdom check: I'll go with the standard FG version then :-)

Last question: is there any way for the DM to hide some parts of the map in the standard version, such that he can decide which room/area players can see? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've just started looking at the tutorial videos.

Wisdom check: I'll go with the standard FG version then :-)
    Of course, the potential problem there is that at some point in the future you'll want to move to FG Unity for dynamic lighting and the big shiny...

You're decision in the end. FG Unity will get better and more stable over time. I was just saying a word of caution (and a reminder) that FG Unity is currently being released as an open beta test.

One option might be to subscribe to FG Classic for a couple of months and keep an eye on how the FG Unity beta is progressing, and then move over the FG Unity at that point. Or, like I say above, if you're OK with potential issues (which will get less and less over the beta test period) then just go for FG Unity.

Last question: is there any way for the DM to hide some parts of the map in the standard version, such that he can decide which room/area players can see? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've just started looking at the tutorial videos.
    Use the mask: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Images#Masking

Blog Entries
    Check out FG College. You can get a free class or five on all sorts of aspects of FG. From Character Creation to Creating Effects to DMing.
    https://fantasygroundscollege.net/

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

So I've installed FG on y Mac (standard version, not Unity), subscribed a monthly Ultimate licence and purchased the LMOP module.

I've activated the licence key, updated the content and I've made a check before buying the PHB but the LMOP maps/NPCs/Quests/etc don't appeared in the campaign I've created.

I've selected the extensions I got after the update: 5E language font wizards, 5E theme wizards and D&D Lost Mine of Phandelver Destop Decal.

I should have missed something somewhere... :-(

Edit: Finally found it. :-)
    Last edited by christophe; March 18th, 2020 at 17:49.

So I've installed FG on y Mac (standard version, not Unity), subscribed a monthly Ultimate licence and purchased the LMOP module.

I've activated the licence key, updated the content and I've made a check before buying the PHB but the LMOP maps/NPCs/Quests/etc don't appeared in the campaign I've created.

I've selected the extensions I got after the update: 5E language font wizards, 5E theme wizards and D&D Lost Mine of Phandelver Destop Decal.

I should have missed something somewhere... :-(
    Activate the module once your campaign is loaded.

Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ule_Activation

Thread Information