5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    The question now is what does it do? Since with it on or off it doesn't seem to do anything.
    You need to place a grid on the image before you see the functionality. Basically, when on, it will snap your tokens to the center of the grid square/hex. I will often disable snap2grid to and place 2 tokens half in the grid to signify those tokens as sharing the same grid square/hex.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

Quote Originally Posted by ronnke View Post
    You need to place a grid on the image before you see the functionality. Basically, when on, it will snap your tokens to the center of the grid square/hex. I will often disable snap2grid to and place 2 tokens half in the grid to signify those tokens as sharing the same grid square/hex.
    That's what I assumed that it would do. However it actually appears to snap to various places on the grid such as the mid point on any side of a grid square or on an intersection. That's not a huge difference between that and putting the token slightly off centre or some other place which you can do with snap off. Again this is 5e I'm testing on so some other implementation might be available on another ruleset. The other thing that I'm noticing with all of this is that any movement change I make to a token either as a player or the DM is reflected immediately on the other screen. So, in other words the player and DM side are always the same. So I'm unsure why you might be seeing something different.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    However it actually appears to snap to various places on the grid such as the mid point on any side of a grid square or on an intersection.
    The other thing that I'm noticing with all of this is that any movement change I make to a token either as a player or the DM is reflected immediately on the other screen. So, in other words the player and DM side are always the same.
    I play with a hex grid and it does not permit snapping to the center-edge or corners. If it did, that would be awesome.

If you now toggle snap to grid off, you will notice the GM can mode tokens without snapping, but the players are still in snap on mode.

Right, hex grids. I see what you mean, yes. The players are locked into the centre of the grid whatever setting the DM has. I don't know if this is intended or not. I will, however, find out.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

The <snap> XML definition in the Imagecontrol documentation suggests that it has been set that it is the GM who can set/chat it: "Defines whether tokens and pointers are automatically snapped to grid. Valid values are "on" and "off". If the underlying image database value already has a snap setting (specified by GM or imagecontrol), then this value is ignored on load."

I don't know if this is a very recent change to the base FG imagecontrol functionality, or if the ruleset/s where players could change this had it coded into a right-click menu to use snapToGrid: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdo...xcp#snapToGrid
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ok, I took a look at this. I have no idea why this behavior would have changed, because nothing related to the imagecontrol was touched. In fact, I've been specifically avoiding any changes to the image control, since this is one of the areas where we are prototyping in FGU. Also, there are no changes in that section of the code base.

According to the code, here's what I found:
    * The grid snap on/off functionality radial option should only be visible to the host.
    * It looks like the grid snap functionality was never actually propagated to the client when changed, but would require a different grid change to trigger the propagation. (Technically, this is not the behavior I would expect, but has been around for many versions.)
    * The vertex vs. vertex/center option for grid snap is only settable via the ruleset using the "snapsquare" and "snaphex" tags on the imagecontrol. The default for snapsquare is "vertexandcenter", and the default for snaphex is "center". To override, you need to add this tag to the imagecontrol.

So, the net result, if you want to allow vertex and center snapping for hex (which was specifically disabled because it becomes very fiddly with so many snap points and you're better off disabling), then you should modify the ruleset (or add an extension) to add the <snaphex>vertexandcenter</snaphex> tag to the imagecontrol in the "imagewindow" window class.

Also, if you want to toggle grid snap in game, you may need to make another change in the grid (shift left/right, for example) to force the grid snap change to propagate.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for the update.

For consideration in future updates, is it possible to add extra snap options? Currently we have "center" and "vertexandcenter", can we also get a "centeredgeandcenter" which would snap to the center of an edge line and also the grid center. This seems to be the default operation for "vertexandcenter" when used on a square grid, but not so with hex. I can't think of many hex based games which would utilise vertex snapping, but center-edge definitely has more utility.

Thread Information