DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    I have to agree with others here, I think this is a FANTASTIC idea. Also, thank you very much for the keyword listing. I was actually looking for just such a thing recently and this is quite helpful. I would also add that I certainly had a lot of confusion for a while about why some of these things only sometimes worked until I finally noticed that the one consistency where it would work was only when the character was in the Combat Tracker. So anything which would make those effects more versatile so they would apply whenever that thing exists for a character would also help to create, I think, a lot less confusion for people learning to use FG. Overall I think having keywords that are otherwise available in SW settings for all of the items listed would be very useful. Not to mention you never know what "house rules" are going to be out there that will create things that could apply any of those effects for a character from any number of possible avenues so having the flexibility to use such keywords on just about anything that could be placed onto a character would be very helpful.
    Lenny Zimmermann
    Metairie, LA

Lightbulb

I agree, keyword listing is quite helpful.
    Here are my ideas

The extend Ikael list on post #1:
    Have a [GRANT] prefix tag. Let's say you have both Parry +1 on you character, AND Parry -1 on everyone attack your charater. So it could be something like: [Parry +1], [GRANT][Parry -1]

Descriptive source of Effects in Combat Tracker:
    To let to display wich charcter/NPC have created the effect row
    To let to display the name of the Item/Power/Edge/Whateveryouwant source of the [EFFECT]
    See screenshot Attachment 17698

About [EFFECTS] list, and apply effects by players:
    If you try to create a comprehensive list of effects, you'll get a neverending list. Take a look to my uncomplete Effects list
    Attachment 17700

So let's take look again at DD5e
    Attachment 17699
    Here you can create single rows, where to put [EFFECT] tags
    Every row can be a subelement of a power, a wepon, an edge, etc (to be used not only from charatcert sheet but also from NPC sheets).

And this will keep SW real Fast&Furious (not only from the GM side) :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion77 View Post
    Have a [GRANT] prefix tag. Let's say you have both Parry +1 on you character, AND Parry -1 on everyone attack your charater. So it could be something like: [Parry +1], [GRANT][Parry -1]
    Can you give example in what case/situation this would come in play? I believe your examples means that you have +1 parry defense boost and everyone you attack will have -1 parry. I do not recall any situation like that; the idea is that if you reduce combatants parry, say by making successful Trick action you reduce opponent's parry by 2 and everyone attacking that person will "gain" the benefit. That said, atm I do not find use case for GRANT idea.

Descriptive source of Effects in Combat Tracker:
    To let to display wich charcter/NPC have created the effect row
    In current release version if Effect is Power, there is information next to the effect line, who casted the effect. Is there any other case where you might need to know who applied the effect?

To let to display the name of the Item/Power/Edge/Whateveryouwant source of the [EFFECT]
    You can already name the effect to anything you like such as "Prone [Parry -2]" where Prone is the name of the effect and will be displayed in the chat window when effect modifier is applied. Did I understood this correctly?

About [EFFECTS] list, and apply effects by players:
    If you try to create a comprehensive list of effects, you'll get a neverending list. Take a look to my uncomplete Effects list
    Idea is to embed effect keywords directly to edges, hindrances, racial abilities, monstrous abilities and gear where it makes sense; such as Rapier grants you parry +1 if it's equipped and Block edge would grant +1 parry bonus. I believe the effect list would get shorter when/if this is implemented since you have effects already embedded to individual entities and can apply them from there.

Good discussion, bring more in!
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ikael View Post
    Can you give example in what case/situation this would come in play? I believe your examples means that you have +1 parry defense boost and everyone you attack will have -1 parry. I do not recall any situation like that; the idea is that if you reduce combatants parry, say by making successful Trick action you reduce opponent's parry by 2 and everyone attacking that person will "gain" the benefit. That said, atm I do not find use case for GRANT idea.
    IZ - Cyberware, Wireless Reflexes I-III: your character gain a +1 Parry Bonus, and imposes a -1 penalty to attackers trying to target you with ranged attacks. So let's say you created an effect coded as [Parry +1], [GRANT][Ranged -1]
    SW - Edge, Dodge (and Improved Dodge too): -1 to ranged attacks rolls of your enemy, you character gain +1 to Agility rolls to evade area effect attacks. Coded [GRANT][Ranged -1],[Agility +1]
    SW - Power, Invisibility: a character may detect the invisible presence [...] once detected he may attack the foe at -4. Coded [GRANT][Melee -4], [GRANT][Ranged -4] ... and so on
    Why to use a [GRANT] tag in effects? Let's look at the Invisibility power.
    See this CT:
    Attachment 17705
    Let's say the Dummy ENEMY have spotted the invisble CHARACTER, and he makes two attacks. The first one to the Dummy CHARACTER, the second one to the ALLY.
    For sure you can apply a -4 malus to the Dummy ENEMY. But this will trigger to every outgoing attack regardless of the target (invisible or not, FG can't know it). So you have to apply the -4 malus, make the attack roll, resolve damage if hit, next remove the -4 malus, ang go on with the attack roll on next target (or vice versa). Same workflow even if you use the generic modifier on the fly (I mean the modifier box in bottomleft corner).
    Instead with the GRANT tag, you make on click to apply the specific effect on the target, and that's all, go on to roll the dice, without worring about particular modifiers.
    In current release version if Effect is Power, there is information next to the effect line, who casted the effect. Is there any other case where you might need to know who applied the effect?
    I'm thinking out of the box. Let's say you have a magic item (cloak of invisibility, cloak of displacement wich apply a -2 malus to melee attack rolls of your attackers), special items (drugs, poisons?)
    For Powers the current Effect field seems can fit the goal. With subpowers you can cover variants based on rises and so on. You click the effect and is applayed to current target (or drag&drop in CT or token). Should be tested on the field

You can already name the effect to anything you like such as "Prone [Parry -2]" where Prone is the name of the effect and will be displayed in the chat window when effect modifier is applied. Did I understood this correctly?
    Exactly! More examples can be:
    Wild Attack [Fighting +2, MeleeDamage +2, Parry -2]
    Unstable Platform [Shooting -2]
    Entangle [Agility -2, Strength -2]
    Confined Space [Parry -1, Fighting -1]
    and so on

Idea is to embed effect keywords directly to edges, hindrances, racial abilities, monstrous abilities and gear where it makes sense; such as Rapier grants you parry +1 if it's equipped and Block edge would grant +1 parry bonus. I believe the effect list would get shorter when/if this is implemented since you have effects already embedded to individual entities and can apply them from there.
    Definitely agree. Autoembedding [EFFECTS] is wonderful. I fear that embed effects to every single entity is a titanic work. The problem with DD5e is that is hidden from user side, until you add entities to character sheet (for NPC until you drop them in CT).
    My idea is to give the ability to append multiple EFFECT lines, to every single entities (as per DD5e character sheet > tab Actions), and extend this feature also to NPC sheets.

So we will have:
    - the ability to create EFFECT LINES
    - the EFFECT LIST wich can work as a base library
    - the coding sintax, maybe with special tags like [GRANT]
    The final user can combine these elements in Character/NPC sheets, without having to wait that a specific module is coded with embedded effects (always feasible in the future).

Again my two cents, from my point of view, and my gameplay style. Anyway really like the way ideas are growing up!

Apologies for arriving to the Effects partly late... What is the syntax for an effect that modifies a specific Knowledge skill roll; e.g. an Edge effects Knowledge (Battle) and this syntax, [Knowledge (Battle) +2], does not modify a roll a Knowledge (Battle) skill roll. But [Knowledge +2] will work for any Knowledge skill roll.
    Last edited by geolama; January 19th, 2019 at 19:37.
    Non-sequitors are like bicycles - they don't bathe.

Quote Originally Posted by geolama View Post
    Apologies for arriving to the Effects partly late... What is the syntax for an effect that modifies a specific Knowledge skill roll; e.g. an Edge effects Knowledge (Battle) and this syntax, [Knowledge (Battle) +2], does not modify a roll a Knowledge (Battle) skill roll. But [Knowledge +2] will work for any Knowledge skill roll.
    Try leaving parenthesis away, ie.

Code:
     [Knowledge Battle +2]
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

[Knowledge Battle +2] is not the correct syntax, either.

If the skill on the character sheet is "Knowledge Battle" and the effect syntax is [Knowledge Battle +2], it works.

Quote Originally Posted by geolama View Post
    [Knowledge Battle +2] is not the correct syntax, either.
    In that case skills with parenthesis were never supported in the first place. I can take alook if I can easily add support my suggested approach but I will be honest, I might have reserved parenthesis for something else already.

Is there a way to use these effect keywords to add Edges/Hindrances?
    For instance, I want to make a playable troll race, and I want all trolls to have the Ugly Hindrance populate on the character sheet automatically because of a Monstrous Ability.

Thread Information