5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Two Problems with Effects for STR and DEX

1, for an NPC, how do I inform the game that the NPC is using a 2H weapon? Character sheets give a spot to put a 1.5 STR modifier (or 2 or 3 or whatever) but NPCs don't seem to have that. Which becomes an issue if an NPC Barbarian rages with a Greataxe and only gets +2 damage rather than +3 damage.

2, the Max DEX stat does not seem to be calculated properly with effects. Say a character is wearing a Chain Shirt (4 AC, 4 max DEX) with 18 DEX. That's +8 AC total. If I then apply a Cat's Grace effect to the character, he'll go up to +10 AC...even though he shouldn't gain any AC. And if I adjusted his character sheet he wouldn't gain AC. But he does from effects.

For what ruleset?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Please post ruleset specific questions in the ruleset subforums rather than here...

Pathfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Please post ruleset specific questions in the ruleset subforums rather than here...
    Perhaps I'm confused -- I thought those were for discussions of the actual ruleset. Not for issues/bugs with FG itself that might pertain to that ruleset.

Blog Entries
    If you post it in the ruleset forum you are more likely going to get a response from others who know and use the ruleset.
    If you post it here and dont mention a ruleset no one knows exactly what you are experiencing.

I dont think there is anywhere to do what you want with the Barbarian NPC - Id just modify the damage manually on the sheet if thats what they are doing. If its a PC controlled NPC and you want that degree of control you would set them up as a PC I think.
    I thought Cats Grace did effect AC? https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/cat-s-grace
    If it doesnt then Im thinking you only want to apply an adjustment on skill checks and saving throws so you wouldnt do a DEX: +4

Cat's Grace affects AC...but only if your current Dex is below the max Dex of the armor. So if I have 14 Dex (+2) with a Chain Shirt allows 4 Max Dex, then Cat's Grace would indeed give me 2 AC. But if I have 16 Dex (+3) I'd only get +1 from Cat's Grace. And with 18+ Dex I'd get 0 AC...but I'd still get AB (for certain weapons), Reflex, Initiative, etc.

And I thought these rules were essentially the same for 3E, 3.5E, 4E, 5E, and Pathfinder...but apologies if not.

The NPCs in the PF ruleset don't have actual ability scores in the same way that PC's do. So the idea of FG knowing to add 1.5 Str bonus to the damage of a 2-H weapon is irrelevant. FG doesn't add any Str bonus to the weapon damage as the damage is simply a string such as 'greataxe +6 (1d12+8)'. You will have to add a STR effect that has the 1.5 Str bonus built in for Rage or Power Attack.

As for Cat's Grace, I think you are right. That would be a bug if FG doesn't check the Max Dex Bonus before upping AC from a DEX effect.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    As for Cat's Grace, I think you are right. That would be a bug if FG doesn't check the Max Dex Bonus before upping AC from a DEX effect.
    And just to make sure we're on the same page, the Cat's Grace issue is for player characters (since NPCs don't have a Max Dex stat).

Technically they don't. But theoretically they do even though FG doesn't know what armor they are wearing. The automation can only go so far; there are far more NPCs than PCs so they can't be given the same amount of code/memory use.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Sure, but my point is that I'm not concerned about the DEX issue for NPCs. Just for PCs who explicitly have a Max DEX stat.

Thread Information