5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    There's really only two states you need to worry about and that is whether you have the image identification off or on (in options). If you have it turned off then you won't have any renaming or any other things to worry about. With identification on you will have the option of renaming the image so that you can obscure the true title of the image from your players. If you don't rename it then the players will just get unidentified image.
    Thanks, Zacchaues, for the nice summary. I've been experimenting with this and there seems to be some inconsistencies. Thus, this is why I wanted to refer to official documentation so I could report truly unexpected behavior.

Should I infer that there is no official reference to this new feature other than the patch list?

You may so infer (although what I say is far from 'official' - just ask Trenloe ) What might be causing some confusion is where an image has already been shared before the update. In such a case the DM may well need to reshare the image for all the new features to show on the players version or for any changes to take effect.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

You may so infer (although what I say is far from 'official' - just ask Trenloe ) What might be causing some confusion is where an image has already been shared before the update. In such a case the DM may well need to reshare the image for all the new features to show on the players version or for any changes to take effect.
    I will accept your response until otherwise corrected by Trenloe. In the meantime, I will continue to test based on your summary and see if I am able to get this to work consistently.

FWIW, all testing is done with the same license (i.e., server and player on the same machine).

Quote Originally Posted by TMO View Post
    I will accept your response until otherwise corrected by Trenloe. In the meantime, I will continue to test based on your summary and see if I am able to get this to work consistently.
    I am pleased to report that any perceived inconsistencies were likely the result of my unscientific methods of testing. I have gone through all possible permutations and the behavior is exactly as Zacchaeus described.

However, I would still suggest that there are, in fact, three states. Yes, it is true that the Options window only presents the DM with an "on" or "off" value for the Image: Identification feature. But once the feature is turned on, the DM still has the option of enabling or disabling the ID. To help illustrate I have posted some images using the newly acquired Forge of the Dawn Titan module.

If the DM has a map with the ID disabled, this is what the DM's view looks like:

This is what the Player sees:

If the DM has a map with the ID enabled, this is what the DM's view looks like:

This is what the Player sees:

This seems somewhat counter-intuitive to me. I would have assumed that enabling the ID would cause the player to see the custom identification label that the DM created rather that the resource name. I think this is why I thought there was a problem in Fantasy Grounds at first and why I was looking for documentation. I wanted a reality check.

I think things would normally be the other way around in your example. In other words the map name should be 'Perilous Dungeon' and the unidentified name should be something generic like 'Encounter Map'.

I think the image identification is more relevant to images of NPCs and things rather than maps. Unless you name the map 'The dungeon where the PCs are going to fight a Green Dragon' the name of the map isn't giving too much away. However if you want to share an image of the monster that the PCs are in combat with you might not want them to know that it's a Goblin. So the option is there to turn on identification and change the right hand name to 'Green Skinned Thing' so that is the name of the image that the PCs see. Similarly if the PCs find a Sword of Ultimate Doom and you have a picture you'll not want them to see the actual name but something more generic like 'Shiny Sword'.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I think things would normally be the other way around in your example. In other words the map name should be 'Perilous Dungeon' and the unidentified name should be something generic like 'Encounter Map'.

I think the image identification is more relevant to images of NPCs and things rather than maps. Unless you name the map 'The dungeon where the PCs are going to fight a Green Dragon' the name of the map isn't giving too much away. However if you want to share an image of the monster that the PCs are in combat with you might not want them to know that it's a Goblin. So the option is there to turn on identification and change the right hand name to 'Green Skinned Thing' so that is the name of the image that the PCs see. Similarly if the PCs find a Sword of Ultimate Doom and you have a picture you'll not want them to see the actual name but something more generic like 'Shiny Sword'.
    Good point...bad example. I made that up on the spot to help create a visual example of what I was describing. The actual label I created wasn't meant to mean anything other than it was different from the module (resource) name.

How about a map like Sacred-Stone-Monastery-Player-Above-Ground? This is how the module names it. The name itself is rather revealing (i.e., "above ground"). This is a good example where I would prefer to identify the map with a different name until such a time that the players know a bit more about what is going on. Hence, a similar use case as you suggested with images.

The main point of my post was to suggest that the ID label toggle seems to be wired backwards from what I would have expected. Since the ID label is immediately to the left of my custom label (or, "right hand name" as you termed it), I would have expected that the green circle meant "use the right hand name instead of the default resource name". The ID label comes across to me like a checkbox control - toggling it "on" implies that the value to the right is what the system should use.

At any rate, this is not a bug unless the developers meant for the system to work as I am describing. I think I've made my point clear enough and I'll leave it to SmiteWorks to decide if something is or isn't working properly with this feature.

The main point of my post was to suggest that the ID label toggle seems to be wired backwards from what I would have expected. Since the ID label is immediately to the left of my custom label (or, "right hand name" as you termed it), I would have expected that the green circle meant "use the right hand name instead of the default resource name". The ID label comes across to me like a checkbox control - toggling it "on" implies that the value to the right is what the system should use.
    I agree this is a little bit confusing. Having red/green right next to the non-identified name does seem to suggest that it is controlling the visibility of that name and not the main image name.

If you look at the similar item identification functionality, the ID button is on the same line as the main name, not the non-identified name. Which makes more sense and creates less confusion. IMHO it would be a good idea to move the ID button to be next to the main name.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    If you look at the similar item identification functionality, the ID button is on the same line as the main name, not the non-identified name. Which makes more sense and creates less confusion. IMHO it would be a good idea to move the ID button to be next to the main name.
    Actually, I had not yet tested the item identification feature so I'm glad you mentioned it. Yes, this actually helps to put the whole feature into proper context. Not only is the ID button on the same line as the main name, when the item is unlocked and put into edit mode, the field "Non-ID Name" is available. This makes it very clear that this is the label the player's will see if the ID button is toggled off.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I agree this is a little bit confusing. Having red/green right next to the non-identified name does seem to suggest that it is controlling the visibility of that name and not the main image name.

Actually, I had not yet tested the item identification feature so I'm glad you mentioned it. Yes, this actually helps to put the whole feature into proper context. Not only is the ID button on the same line as the main name, when the item is unlocked and put into edit mode, the field "Non-ID Name" is available. This makes it very clear that this is the label the player's will see if the ID button is toggled off.
    I'll note that this up for Moon Wizard to have a look at.

How do you renamed the image.. sharing map forma 5 e module it comes as unidentified.. how do I change the name?

Never mind apparently maps from volo guides cant be renamed ( sword coast map) ? other maps I can rename.. hmm that's a pain
    Last edited by Silverwolf75; December 11th, 2017 at 13:54.

Thread Information