DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 95 of 150 First ... 45859394959697105145 ... Last

Noob Questions

I'm a long time pen & paper GURPS player.

Covid is forcing my group to go virtual and none of us have ever done it. An old gaming buddy let me sit in a a session of his Pathfinder in Fantasy Ground Unity, and I'm hoping it will work for GURPs. I was hoping the forumites could point me in the right direction before I put the $$ down on some products.

What I think I know,

1. Based on reading this thread there will be (or is) GURPS 4th ed support for Fantasy Grounds Unity?
    2. So can i purchase the Life time Fantasy Grounds Unity GM product ~ $134 and be able to run GURP on a virtual table top?
    3. Would my players need to spend money for FG?
    4. To electronically keep track of characters would I need GURPS Character Assistant as well to work with FGU?
    5. What else do I need to know that I'm too ignorant to even know to ask?

Thank you for any help, totally new at this and all help appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Woob View Post

Covid is forcing my group to go virtual and none of us have ever done it. An old gaming buddy let me sit in a a session of his Pathfinder in Fantasy Ground Unity, and I'm hoping it will work for GURPs. I was hoping the forumites could point me in the right direction before I put the $$ down on some products.

What I think I know,

1. Based on reading this thread there will be (or is) GURPS 4th ed support for Fantasy Grounds Unity?
    2. So can i purchase the Life time Fantasy Grounds Unity GM product ~ $134 and be able to run GURP on a virtual table top?
    4. To electronically keep track of characters would I need GURPS Character Assistant as well to work with FGU?

First of all, welcome to playing rpgs virtually, it can be a daunting experience at first to move to non-physical space at first but once you get used to it you'll probably love it like most of us.
    Let me answer your question to the best of my abilities:
    1. There is currently GURPS 4e support for Fantasy Grounds made by the community (unofficially, but with permission of Steve Jackson Games), and you are currently in the right forum thread about it. Just jump back to the first post and you'll find a download link.
    2. You have a few ways to go about it, either the GM buys the Ultimate licence for $134.10 (discount included) or you and all your players buy the standard licence each for $35.10 (discount included).
    3. See answer for #2
    4. FGU keeps track of your characters, but so far it's stored locally.
    5. Keep in mind that FGU is still in early access, so you might find some issues here and there. I'd also recommend testing the program by playing around with the tools before you actually run the game, Fantasy Grounds is quite powerful and versatile, but that also means that it is also complex, but as with other tools, you'll learn to use it more proficiently over time.

What I think I know,

Welcome!

1. Yes, there is support for GURPS 4th Ed on FG Unity. It's not official support from SJG, so there is no official modules or content, but the ruleset itself is fully functional.

2. Yes.

3. No, your players don't need to spend money. If you have an ultimate license, then anyone connecting to games you host, will not require a license.

4. Programs like GCA and GCS can be used to import the initial character into Fantasy Grounds. After that, the character sheets are maintained within FG itself.

5. Check out this demo I did for SJG, where you can see a demonstration of how GURPS in FG works. The 3rd link is my group's YouTube channel where you can find 100 or so actual play sessions where we play GURPS.

FG Demo: https://youtu.be/BLs22sGw1lo
    Exit 23, Single One-Shot adventure from the GM PoV with prepared material: https://youtu.be/med9jSVMTRQ
    OlympusRPG Group: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCog...oShOVyXMbQugA/
    Last edited by ronnke; April 22nd, 2020 at 05:30.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

I will add, the learning curve to playing online is not steep and there are plenty of people here willing to help, should you get stuck. Glad to have you onboard and hopefully gaming with us.

My gaming group also has a discord channel for the GURPS ruleset, where you can drop in and ask questions. https://discord.gg/j532Fu2

. I was hoping the forumites could point me in the right direction before I put the $$ down on some products.
    Some observations...

If you buy the ultimate license, your players will not have to pay $40 for a regular license. Ultimate license lets you permit anyone with a demo version of the software join in (Demo is free).

The one thing I really appreciate with Fantasy Grounds (FG for short) is that if you use the chat feature for the GM/Player interaction, FG will log the entire session for you. Yes, things move at the speed of the fastest typist, but that's part of the price paid. If you decide instead, to utilize something like SKYPE or any other software that permits voice conversation over the net a as a group - then you can have a relatively nice interface for gaming in general.

I would also suggest, that if you want, pay $4 a month for the firs month to see if you like the software.

Putting this into perspective?

I paid $150 for my license. If you pay $15 for Cinema tickets, that's about $10 an hour for your enjoyment. $150 at $10 per hour's worth of enjoyment is roughly 15 hours worth of entertainment. My wife agreed that that price was worth it when put in those terms. For what it is worth, my wife is a GAMER as well - so take it for what it is worth.

If I might be so bold? Try and talk someone into giving you a tour - so you can see what it is like. If you want, I'll dig up some old game session logs and let you see how it plays out.

While I'm thinking on it? FG records EVERY single die roll ever made during a session.

If you want, send me a private email and we'll arrange a "tour". Or better yet? I'll see if I can't clean up the log from my cyberpunk campaign set in Night City, and you'll be able to see what a session looks like.

I also forgot about this video I made going over some of the features of the GURPS ruleset. This was a while ago, but still mostly current.

https://youtu.be/pSm-9Trzd5w

Hi all, new member, second post. I'm also making the switch to VTT gaming. I imported the GURPS ruleset and I see above that it's possible to import GCS characters. With 95 pages, can you link me to the appropriate post or explain how to in GCS. I found the tutorial for GCA but I haven't used it in a decade or more.

TIA!

EDIT: I should clarify, I mean the GCS portion. How do I export form GCS in a useable format. I can't find an .xml filetype in GCS. The /importchar seems pretty straightforward on the FG side.

I know he's got a video on it. I just can't see it at the moment. If I wasn't under a time crunch I'd find the link. You might just try searching on youtube, I'm sure it's there where I saw it.

edit: Thanks ronnke, that's the one I was thinking of.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; April 24th, 2020 at 03:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie T View Post
    Hi all, new member, second post. I'm also making the switch to VTT gaming. I imported the GURPS ruleset and I see above that it's possible to import GCS characters. With 95 pages, can you link me to the appropriate post or explain how to in GCS. I found the tutorial for GCA but I haven't used it in a decade or more.

TIA!

EDIT: I should clarify, I mean the GCS portion. How do I export form GCS in a useable format. I can't find an .xml filetype in GCS. The /importchar seems pretty straightforward on the FG side.
    This forum thread has all the details for GCS import. There is also a video demonstration in the thread.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...upports-FG-XML!

There is some information to keep us updated regarding the to-do list or even future updates not listed in the ruleset, I am always curious and anxious to see soon that there will be nothing more to do and that without a doubt we will have to tool to play GURPS virtually (online) perfect!
    I am grateful for the effort of everyone who is dedicated to this set of rules and who provide the ease of not having to worry about the bills, that I just need to be creative and willing to produce things, sit down and play.

Thread Information